The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Need for Defence Vs. Their Need For Scoring

Meyer_Buttreeks

You should have made this a poll :P

I'd say that we got an offensive boost with Garrison on defense, but I'm not sure how smooth his outlets are to kick start the offense, like Ehrhoff.

Do you guys think Raymond can get paid his 2+ Million on the 4th line? I don't think he should play anywhere else, so a trade might be nice.

Good d leads to good o. And u can't win without a good d. Both lak and Bruins show how it is done. Nux lost the d battle in both match ups. Both bruins and kings have poor offense, but that is fine in playoffs if d can hold their own. In 2011 final if Nux d held fort, they could have won the cup with the fewest goals for in cup final history.

We need more defensive depth, not star forwards. This team does not need Doan and it does not need Weber, but Weber would help the Canucks more than Doan.

Basically put, defence wins championships. When the Canucks had their deepest defence in franchise history it nearly won a Cup. Look at what we went into the playoffs with in 2011:

Edler - Ehrhoff

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Salo - Rome

Ballard - Tanev

Now look at our defence going into next season:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts - Joslin?

We've basically lose an entire pairing worth of quality in 2 seasons by losing Ehrhoff, Rome and Salo and replacing them with Garrison and Ballard.

I am still not comfortable with Tanev as his game is quite simply not built for the playoffs. Everyone thought he was great during the regular season, putting up a nice +/-, but when the intensity increases he couldn't handle the bigger bodies of Boston and Los Angeles, and either could Ballard.

One of the things that would help is if Kesler would hit or fight when he's not scoring.

Kesler did not kick Iginla's ass, but he gave him one hell of a fight. Kesler has gotten stronger now, and if he wanted to, he could annihilate the league's Dustin Browns and at the very least stand up to Milan Lucic (keep in mind this was a younger and even tougher Iginla).

Stuff like this goes a long way in sparking a teams offense, or reminding the team that the game is won in the trenches (this could mean less traffic in front of our net, or a stronger defense).

I don't know how far we could go if Kesler stopped diving and whining sometimes, but I believe we could definitely go further.

I'm especially hard on Kesler's faults because I believe they can be more easily corrected than Luongo's, the Sedins, etc. It's an attitude adjustment (a shock to some of you, I know, for it would not shock me in the slightest if a few of you lathered your privates in Vaseline before going to bed whispering, "Ryan Kesler beast mode..."); he has proven he can fight and WE KNOW he can hit.

The Sedins are not that type of player. Ryan Kesler is supposed to be.

We need a true second/first liner to play with the Sedins or Kesler;much like what Sundin and Samuelsson have done in the past.

Also, a 3rd line centre and defenseman to play with Ballard would be great. I would like to think that we can get both Bjugstad and Gudbranson for Luongo, but that isn't realistic at all. If we were able to sign both Salo and Garrison, then our defense would be set.

Lastly, a solid 4th liner that can play at Lappy's level would be great, but its not that big of a need.

One of the things that would help is if Kesler would hit or fight when he's not scoring.

Kesler did not kick Iginla's ass, but he gave him one hell of a fight. Kesler has gotten stronger now, and if he wanted to, he could annihilate the league's Dustin Browns and at the very least stand up to Milan Lucic (keep in mind this was a younger and even tougher Iginla).

Stuff like this goes a long way in sparking a teams offense, or reminding the team that the game is won in the trenches (this could mean less traffic in front of our net, or a stronger defense).

I don't know how far we could go if Kesler stopped diving and whining sometimes, but I believe we could definitely go further.

I'm especially hard on Kesler's faults because I believe they can be more easily corrected than Luongo's, the Sedins, etc. It's an attitude adjustment (a shock to some of you, I know, for it would not shock me in the slightest if a few of you lathered your privates in Vaseline before going to bed whispering, "Ryan Kesler beast mode..."); he has proven he can fight and WE KNOW he can hit.

The Sedins are not that type of player. Ryan Kesler is supposed to be.

I think Garrison was a significant signing so don't underestimate that one. Your right we don't need an overhaul but MG will sign a big name if it is good for the club. The cost of admission on a Webber deal is to steep. Nash is a force but what does that cost, both clubs would be in too deep I think.

There is still plenty of summer left to do some "tuning" but we should be in a good place with our core. The Raymond signing is somewhat perplexing for only 1 year but other than that we should be fine.

:canucks: NUFF SAID :canucks:

sadly to say, we'll never win a cup with our current core.. it's shown years after years after years.. the top guys gets shut down.. secondary offense is non existent and we are relying on our PP to do any kind of scoring which over the past few playoff have shown refs are more and more reluntant to make any calls.. our goalie and defense might be good enough.. but u ain't gonna win any games if you are going to score 1-2 goals and hope your goalie shuts them down every single game.

Defense isn't the biggest issue, although the Canucks could use a #1 mean defenseman.

A top 6 forward who can finish is someone that the Canucks need. The 2nd line always has flashes of brilliance and then cools down for a week or two. The Kesler/Booth chemistry seems to be coming along, but the Canucks desperately need a player who when going in on a breakaway you know he is probably going to score.

This team has nobody on it that you can say you know will score 1 on 1 with the goaltender.

They need a player who can finish. A player who won't follow along with what a lot of the Canucks do, which is pass when they should shoot.

The defense has been shored up by Mike G so I believe they need to find top 6 talent until Kesler returns. He will be missed big time and the need for a 2nd line centre can't really be filled internally. I'd love it if Doan chose to sign here because he brings extreme grit and that is what we need, maybe Florida can send over one of their centres but I don't really see that happening, Fleischman would look good on the 2nd line then drop him to the 3rd but that would be wasting his talent here.

The consensus seems to be one I agree with. We need second line scoring and we need a significant addition to accomplish this. We need help down the middle and yes one more 5-6 quality defense man. But focus will hopefully be on second line scoring. where that comes from I am happy to leave to M.G. From Doan signing or the inevitable Loungo trade.

If we are able to pick up a second line significant upgrade we will strengthen the third line by default. We have plenty of strong third or marginal second line talent.We need second line strength size and leadership. That being said demand and supply do not always meet, so M.G. do your best that is all we can hope for.

Love to see Doan and a 2 second lin center or winger from the Loungo trade a backup for goal and away we go. Some help from the Wolves may arrive in camp but not a sure bet. So go to work M.G. We are all awaiting.

Archived