The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Update] Doan Gets Contract Offers From 3 Teams, Canucks Offer

People that think hes going to be had at 3 million a year havent been paying attention to what other players even older than him are getting... He's likley going to cost an average of 5 a year, but will also contain more term than a paltry 2 years,, which is why you fromt load the deal, so he can feel free to retire with the money and you save the cap hit.

its overpaying, like every team does in the FA period. Having said that, I believe Doan will really fit perfectly with this team, and make Vancouver very strong contenders, so its a move IMO worth making.

Shane Doan 'absolutely' could be a Canuck

Luke Fox | July 10, 2012, 9:46 am

Twitter @lukefoxjukebox

Could one of the NHL’s most coveted unrestricted free agents still available make a return to Canada?

“There is a possibility, absolutely,” Shane Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, told Vancouver’s News 1130 Monday, that his client could become a Vancouver Canuck.

Although there is no guarantee that he’ll leave the desert, the 35-year-old captain of the Phoenix Coyotes is testing the free-agent waters in light of the franchise’s financial uncertainty.

Among other teams, Doan has spoken with Canucks assistant general manager Laurence Gilman about the possibility of the veteran signing with Vancouver.

“He has some relationships in the front office there. I believe the assistant GM was the one that signed Shane with the Winnipeg Jets,” Bross said. “Shane has spoken with them, I’ve spoken with them, and there’s mutual interest.”

Prior to joining the Canucks in 2008, Gilman worked for 13 years in the Coyotes organization.

twitter-icon-sports_normal.png

Bross tells CKWX that the
called early for Doan and he and his client have held pleasent talks with the
https://twitter.com/search/%23Canucks' rel="external nofollow">

“I have spoken to Shane Doan on behalf of our organization a couple of times,” Gilman confirmed to the Vancouver Sun on Monday. “I spoke with him on July 1 to express our interest in bringing him to Vancouver and subsequently followed up with Shane last night. I know from my experience in Phoenix that he has been interested in Vancouver in the past. He's a western Canadian guy whose wife is from Kamloops. So I think there is interest there. I had productive discussions with both Shane and his agent.”

Before the Canucks starts sewing the D on the back of fresh jersey, however, it should be noted that there is plenty of interest in Doan. A reported 12 teams have expressed a desire to add the winner of the 2012 Mark Messier Leadership Award to their club. The Pittsburgh Penguins and Detroit Red Wings are just two other clubs confirmed to have had discussions with Doan.

“When you combine his physical play, the play on the ice, the leadership, and all the intangible qualities, it’s pretty easy to see why so many teams would be willing to bring him into their organization,” Bross said.

Doan registered his 12th 20-goal season in 2011-12 and helped lead the Coyotes to the Western Conference final for the first time. His previous contract carried a $4.55 million cap hit.

twitter-icon-sports_normal.png

After talking to his agent at length - I feel the
would make Shane Doan's shortlist of 2-3 teams.

“Shane is a sought-after commodity, and there are a number of teams who would be interested in adding him to their roster,” Gilman told the Sun. “So we'll see what happens.”

Doan would be nice. He could play on any of our top 3 lines and wouldnt be expected to lead the offense like in Phoenix. He'll also force Kesler to center the 2nd PP when he returns to the lineup with him on the top unit.

Sedins-Doan

Edler-Garrison

Higgins-Kesler-Booth

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Im a big fan of those PP units.

Doan would be nice. He could play on any of our top 3 lines and wouldnt be expected to lead the offense like in Phoenix. He'll also force Kesler to center the 2nd PP when he returns to the lineup with him on the top unit.

Sedins-Doan

Edler-Garrison

Higgins-Kesler-Booth

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Im a big fan of those PP units.

Wow, Doan is consistently the in the top 3 in hits per season for the Coyotes going back past the lockout (I stopped looking at that point).

Fun Fact: Only one player on the Coyotes had more hits than Doan in the 2007 - 2008 season. That player was Keith Ballard.

Its also good to see that Doan has consistently more take aways than giveaway (usually by a lot) in that same time frame.

I think that Doan to Van is a long shot, 20% at best. However i think that if Doan doesn't sign in Phoenix, Vancouver could be the front runner here.

Archived