The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Incredible Movies

dajusta

takeshelter.jpg

In my opinion, far away the best film of 2011, and the best I've seen in years, without question. This movie, hopefully, is Michael Shannon's coming out party. He's an absolute talent, and this movie has one of the best performances you will ever see.

Co-star Jessica Chastain (fresh out of her co-starring roles in The Help and The Tree of Life) is proving to be one of the best actresses out there too.

The movie itself examines mental health in a way that'll either blow your mind, or annoy you deeply. Set in the "heart land" of America, the story revolves around a man who struggles with his bouts of "schizophrenia" and dreams about the end of the world, while his family, work, and social life all crumble around him as he tries to get to the root of what's causing his breakdown. I believe it was Scorsese who once said "You've never seen a movie until you've seen it twice," and if that's the case, I've seen this one four times now, and each time I love it more and more.

I love it dearly, and hope more people get a chance to see it, but I do understand that it's not for everyone.

For what it's worth, the movie was extremely well received, and landed a few big prizes in the festival circuit, and currently has a 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 146 reviews.

I love Pulp Fiction, by the way. Re-watched it the other day, and it's a great movie. Tarantino is too casually dismissed as being pure style, I think.

He is, obviously, a very stylish director, and yes, Pulp Fiction is generally substance-free, but I think his genius shines through in Inglorious Basterds, much more so than any other film he's done. Sure, Pulp Fiction is more quotable and has the good shots, and was a big introduction to Tarantino's fetishization of music, but Inglorious Basterds is like a quotation of a quotation of a quotation of a movie, all the while acting as a criticism of so many American film tropes and lazy viewing.

I was majorly disappointed by the Django Unchained trailer, but I'm hoping the movie is half as good as his others.

Keep this thread going!

I'm going to check out Super 8 tomorrow, even though I've passed on it every opportunity since theatrical release. I'm skeptical of anything J.J. Abrahams does, and with Spielberg's name on there as well, my cynicism doubles or triples. But I'm going to be as open minded as possible!

Life is Beautiful

Italian film. Set in the years before and during WW2. Starts out as a comedy and then moves on into a sad drama. Roberto Benigni plays an Italian-Jew who is sent to a concentration camp with his son. The efforts that Benigni's character undertakes to hide and spare his son from the horrors of the concentration camp are pretty remarkable. Won/was nominated for several academy awards.

10/10

Since someone brought up Benigni, I'd like to point out his most underrated movie:

The Tiger and The Snow

MV5BMTA0OTYyMDQzMDReQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDk0OTU0NDE@._V1._SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

This one has some similarities to Life is Beautiful, but is a bit more lighthearted. It centers on a man who goes right into the heart of Baghdad at the beginning of the war to try to save the woman he loves (lighthearted? Compared to Life is Beautiful, yes).

There are many flaws in this movie, but I still love it every time I watch it. It's simply warm, funny, and enjoyable from start to finish. I have showed it to numerous friends and family, and they all loved it too. And yet, since it was dogged by the critics, a lot of people never bothered watching it.

I can't believe no-one said Braveheart here? Is it too old, and has everyone seen it already or what?

Braveheart

Movie starring Mel Gibson, arguably the best movie ever made. Released in 1995, the movie tells a story of a man, William Wallace, who dares to stand up to and take on the English rule in the 13th century Scotland. Gibson makes his best acting performance in the 2+ hour film.

IMDB

If you haven't seen it, you need to. It's just that good. The trailer is not HD, so don't let it bother you and distract you from the fact.

Life is Beautiful

Italian film. Set in the years before and during WW2. Starts out as a comedy and then moves on into a sad drama. Roberto Benigni plays an Italian-Jew who is sent to a concentration camp with his son. The efforts that Benigni's character undertakes to hide and spare his son from the horrors of the concentration camp are pretty remarkable. Won/was nominated for several academy awards.

10/10

I can't believe no-one said Braveheart here? Is it too old, and has everyone seen it already or what?

Braveheart

Movie starring Mel Gibson, arguably the best movie ever made. Released in 1995, the movie tells a story of a man, William Wallace, who dares to stand up to and take on the English rule in the 13th century Scotland. Gibson makes his best acting performance in the 2+ hour film.

IMDB

If you haven't seen it, you need to. It's just that good. The trailer is not HD, so don't let it bother you and distract you from the fact.

Braveheart

IMDB

Dead Man - Johnny Depp stars in this black and white western style film which includes cameos from Gabriel Byrne, Crispin Glover, Billy Bob Thorton, Iggy Pop, Alfred Molina and a few others, soundtrack by Neil Young.

The pacing is very slow and long but works well.

I found out about this movie because I was watching MuchMusic in the mid-90s which had a Spotlight on Neil Young, this video was part of that with clips from the movie:

Life is Beautiful

10/10

Ok, I feel as though I should at least say that Starship Troopers isn't my favourite movie of all time. It is, though, my number 5 favourite film ever. I will count down to my favourite, as I'm sure you all care. I do have to say that LOTR will not appear in my top 5, as I honestly put that film series in a completely different category. To me, it feels unfair to put it in that list.

So, in saying that, my fourth favourite film is Brokeback Mountain. As a practicing, devote Christian, I find this film to be such a delight. Not very often do filmmakers make a perfect film, but Ang Lee has a terrific gift (don't see Hulk though). Like many people before I saw it, I chalked it up as "The Gay Cowboy Film." But upon watching it, it is obviously so much more. I have only seen it once, and it was about 5 years ago, but it is such a terrifically made film. Very quickly, to me anyway, I quickly forgot about "two gay men" and just watched this wonderful story about the emotional relationship between the two.

Number 3 overall to come soon.

The real Girl with the Dragon Tattoo -movies. The ones made prior to the Hollywood -version.

Three of them to be exact, called Millennium trilogy

Män som hatar kvinnor - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Sweden, 2009)

Flickan som läkte med elden - The Girl Who Played with Fire (Sweden, 2009)

Luftslottet som sprängdes - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Sweden, 2009)

If you have even the least bit of interest to watch foreign, subtitled movies, you should definitely look these up. Again, arguably the best scandinavian movies ever made. And the success they had were the reason for the making of the american version of the movie. The running time for each movie is beyond 2 hours and they dig deeper into the plot then the Daniel Craig version.

To compare, the rating for the original, the swedish version is 8.5/10 or even a bit more and the one for the american copy is around 7/10.

Both Noomi Rapace and Mikael Nyqvist give out a very good acting performance and both were immediately attached to roles in movies like Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol & Abduction (Nyqvist) and Prometheus & Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Rapace) + more to come. So the movies are very good. Take a peek!

Archived