The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers sign F Sam Gagne to one year deal

Report this morning:

@NHL_Oilers: General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the #Oilers have agreed to terms with forward Sam Gagner on a one year contract.

@DarrenDreger: 1 year, $3.2 mil settlement for Sam Gagner with Oilers.

Reported 3 days ago:

@HockeyyInsiderr: As previously said the #Oilers WILL indeed announce the Gagner signing within 48 hrs as per a VERY connected Edmonton source. #MSM clueless

Wow- the inside was only 24 hrs off- I guess when u babble as much as he does, ur bound to be close on some stuff. For instance, at the start of this year I told my buddies "don't be surprised if scheids is starting by the end of this years playoffs," which is similar if I would have followed up with "just got off the phone with gillis" ;)

Wow- the inside was only 24 hrs off- I guess when u babble as much as he does, ur bound to be close on some stuff. For instance, at the start of this year I told my buddies "don't be surprised if scheids is starting by the end of this years playoffs," which is similar if I would have followed up with "just got off the phone with gillis" ;)

Good deal for both sides. A show me you can continue to improve contract. He has already been in the league for 5 years, but he is very young and consistently puts up 40-50 points. He needs to play a full season and he will get 50-60. He will have better linemates this year as well.

Report this morning:

@NHL_Oilers: General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the #Oilers have agreed to terms with forward Sam Gagner on a one year contract.

Reported 3 days ago:

@HockeyyInsiderr: As previously said the #Oilers WILL indeed announce the Gagner signing within 48 hrs as per a VERY connected Edmonton source. #MSM clueless

Report this morning:

Reported 3 days ago:

Cool, so that means Dad tells him how awesome the locker room is and how he'd be a perfect fit for the second line and how awesome it would be to win a cup instead of playing for the oilers...to bad it's a year away and the asking price for him is out of our range. maybe dad can convince to take a discount too

If he plays 82 games next season, he should hit 60+ points. I don't see how he can't.

Hall - RNH/Gagner - Hemsky

Yakupov - RNH/Gagner - Eberle

He's going to be playing with extremely talented wingers no matter what the combination is. He's the #2 centerman by default and his passing ability will always give him a spot on the powerplay.

People say "yeah, he had 47 points but 8 of them came in one game". That is a fair point but IMO that one night just makes up for lost points early in the season after he had that high ankle sprain in the preseason. He lost a step and it effected him. By the end of the season he was feeling good and was by far the fastest we've ever seen him.

Here is how his season broke down.

- Didn't play until Oct 22 -

First 13 games: 0 goals and 2 points (clearly not 100%)

Next 6 games: 0 goals and 5 points (no goals but starting to find his game)

Next 24 games: 5 goals and 15 points (a 17 goal/51 point pace. His average pace)

The 8 point game: 4 goals and 4 assists

Final 31 games: 9 goals and 17 points (a 24 goal/45 point pace)

So if you cut him some slack on the first 13 games where he was clearly hurt but then also subtract his 8 point game, that's 14 goals/37 points in 61 games. Which is a 19 goal/50 point pace. Pretty typical numbers for him. Add in the fact that he lead the 2nd worst team in the league in +/- with a +5, he's a pretty respectable 2nd line center.

Plus he brings a ton of leadership. It hasn't been easy to be an Oiler since 2006 and Gagner has been giving 100% every shift and saying all the right things for the last 5 seasons. While Patrick O'Sullivan is talking about how he can't wait for the season to end. A 20 year old Gagner was talking about how the entire team should be setting individual goals so the season isn't a waste. he even called out the veterans this season. He said some of the older players have to learn to accept their new roles. He was clearly talking about Shawn Horcoff and Ryan Smyth(who didn't really like the idea of being bottom 6 players).

People talk about how Hall went down to see Justin Schultz and then the phone calls from Gretzky and Coffey. What a lot of people don't know is that before joining the London Knights, Gagner was actually committed to go to the university of Wisconsin. A few of his friends went down there and it's also where Schultz played his college hockey. Gagner would go down there in the summer and had met Schultz a few times. Without the Oilers management even saying anything to him(good thing to because that would make it tampering) he decided to call Schultz and just see where his head was at.

Going back to when he was 20 years old. He had a terrible preseason and Pat Quinn started him on the 4th line. Does he complain? He says nothing. He goes out and gets into a fight to send a message to his coach. Unfortunately Quinn went on a rant after the game about how Conroy jumped Gagner so he didn't really get credit for instigating the fight but everyone else knew what was going on. Quinn didn't even know his name at the time and even at the end of the season didn't seem to totally know everyone's names so that's not Gagner's fault. Quinn was washed up.

Then there was a game last season where he fought Beauchemin. It was at a point in the season where it was obvious things were a lost cause and the team was just playing some pathetic hockey. There was no heart from the top to the bottom. So Gagner went out there and showed his teammates that there was at least one guy that was willing to put it all on the line. He knew full well he was going to get beat up but did it anyway. The Ducks broadcast team called it a "calculated error" but they clearly didn't see the big picture. It wasn't just about protecting Taylor Hall.

So yeah. As you can tell...I have time for Gagner on my team. There were rumblings that he was going to get 3.5-4M and I had come to terms with that so I'm fine with 3.2M. The 1 year deal gives him a chance to prove he's a player worth having on the 2nd line long term. If he doesn't then his time is limited. IMO he's not an ideal 2nd line center when you look at the make up of the Oilers top 6(mainly the lack of size) but he still brings enough where he isn't a weak link out there.

...and just for the hell of it. Here is the 8 point night. I love his reaction after the 7th and 8th points. He's not even that excited anymore. The look on his face is more like "you've got to be kidding me"

Archived