236 replies to this topic

#91 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

Good job Weber. You ruined your own career. If he had only waited one more year...

Feel for him? Absolutely not. It was his own dumb mistake to sign that contract to begin with.

Weber guaranteed he makes a boatload of money before likely changes to the CBA would make deals like this against the rules.
He made the choice that he wanted to ensure he got the big payday - it was a good financial decision.

If he's unhappy there, he can always push Nashville to trade him once a year has passed. Just like Nash just did to get out of Columbus.

#92 Haggedy

Haggedy

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

Ya. And with 29mil already stripped out, the value becomes even higher. I suspect it would take a signed Edler, 3 first rounders and another prospect ,but then Giilis would have simply offered Weber the Philly deal.

So here's a question: if Nashville decides to trade Weber in August 2013, could the team acquiring him somehow retroactively pay the signing bonus he's due next July 1st? I know teams can't trade cap space or pay extra salary, but does that also apply to signing bonuses?

If Nashville is indeed stuck paying $27M over the next 12 months, there's absolutely no reason to trade him until June 2014 at the earliest, just before his next $13M cheque is to be written.
Posted Image

#93 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Either Weber is an idiot. Or he wants to be a Nashville Predator for life (Speeds up the process by forcing Nashville to match)

... Or he is greedy for money.

Posted Image

#94 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,334 posts

"Why did Gillis do NOTHING!! MG blew it, Holmgren has balls"

"Gillis can't make Bold Moves"

Once again, Gillis wins.

Edited by playboi19, 24 July 2012 - 01:04 PM.

Subbancopy.jpg

#95 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

So, the Canucks can still ge him after 1 year then, right?

:bigblush:

As far as CDC is concerned, yes.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#96 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

And now Philly will probably offer Doan 7.5 mil will a huge signing bonus. They`re desperate now, especially after New York just got Nash.

And New York has enough cap space that they could even go after Doan now too.

It all depends on what Doan wants or what is good for his family. Dont count Vancouver out just yet, Mr Gillman is our hole card in this.

#97 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

HA!
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#98 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

• i honestly think Weber cared more about cashing in before CBA renews rather than wanting to play for contender... he signed that hoping nashville wouldnt match but the main point is, he signed a 14 year deal that gutranatees him money over anything else

#99 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,758 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

"Why did Gillis do NOTHING!! MG blew it, Holmgren has balls"

"Gillis can't make Bold Moves"

Once again, Gillis wins.

Well he didn`t exactly win, because he didn`t get Weber.

He was definitely right though in the assumption that there was no offer that could get him out of Nashville.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#100 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Good job Weber. You ruined your own career. If he had only waited one more year...

Feel for him? Absolutely not. It was his own dumb mistake to sign that contract to begin with.

He may have if it wasnt for the current CBA expiring. He had to make this deal now before the chance that these types of deals with long term financial security arent allowed. How could you blame him?

#101 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Weber guaranteed he makes a boatload of money before likely changes to the CBA would make deals like this against the rules.
He made the choice that he wanted to ensure he got the big payday - it was a good financial decision.

If he's unhappy there, he can always push Nashville to trade him once a year has passed. Just like Nash just did to get out of Columbus.

That would be funny. The Owners would demand a $26M refund prior to the trade. Then he would be shipped to Columbus to play out his career.

Subbancopy.jpg

#102 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

See what happens when you're greedy Shea?

All parties lost on this one

Philly loses out on Weber

Canucks lose out on Weber

Nashville gets Weber but pays 26million in one year alone and will be cash strapped.

Weber is stuck now for 14years in Nashville when he wanted out.....well i guess he has 110 million reasons why he should be happy.

This has to be fixed in the new CBA
http://Posted Image

#103 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,050 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

I like how you threw the Canucks in there as if we had a chance of landing Weber.
Posted Image

#104 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,758 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

I still think Weber comes out the winner in this one. He basically gets the biggest contract he could have ever hoped for.

And there`s still a good chance that Nashville will wanna trade him next summer. And if there`s a NTC included that means he even gets to choose where to go.

Posted Image

#105 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

Congratulations Poile. Good job sticking it to Holmgren
Posted Image

#106 Losing With Pride

Losing With Pride

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,716 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

There is still hope.

Absolutely slim...

but hope he maybe a Canuck one day.

Trent Klatt, Jeff Cowan and Anson Carter for Weber.

#107 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

DOES WEBER HAVE A NTC? I heard that NTC's don't get transferred when Nashville matches?
Is this true? If so, look for a 29 team bidding war next summer

#108 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,758 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Congratulations Poile. Good job sticking it to Holmgren

That's the best part about this for me.

Holmgrem basicaly tried to bully Nashville into giving up Weber with his owners bottomless pockets, and he lost.

I really hope this is the end of these ridiculous offer sheets too.

Posted Image

#109 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

We didn't make a serious longer term offer, because the end result was obvious: Nashville matches. The one year, massive offer sheet approach was never going to work, because of the expiring CBA.

The only option was to hope for the best next year as a UFA. It never came to that because Weber wanted a deal under current CBA terms. Who could blame him really? Philly just sealed the deal for Weber and Nashville.

#110 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

DOES WEBER HAVE A NTC? I heard that NTC's don't get transferred when Nashville matches?
Is this true? If so, look for a 29 team bidding war next summer

I think you heard that because it's been reported that there is no provision on the offer sheet for a NTC. It is something Philly would have needed to add after the fact, if they had agreed to it with Weber. That being the case, as part of matching, Nashville would not be obligated to match anything that is not on the offer sheet.
Posted Image

#111 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

So here's a question: if Nashville decides to trade Weber in August 2013, could the team acquiring him somehow retroactively pay the signing bonus he's due next July 1st? I know teams can't trade cap space or pay extra salary, but does that also apply to signing bonuses?

If Nashville is indeed stuck paying $27M over the next 12 months, there's absolutely no reason to trade him until June 2014 at the earliest, just before his next $13M cheque is to be written.

Very good point. I suspect that the Preds do not want to trade him. This would be Weber demanding a trade the day he is eligible.
Posted Image

#112 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

Holmgrem basicaly tried to bully Nashville into giving up Weber with his owners bottomless pockets, and he lost.

I concur
Posted Image

#113 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Weber won. He gets PAID. He can handle playing in Nashville, and if he really wants to push for a trade in a year, he can.

Philly didn't get the player, but they lose nothing.

Bettman wins. This deal will be centerstage in arguing that these sort of deals hurt the league and need to be gone in the new CBA.

Nashville won because they kept their star. And apparently NHL teams like to lose money, so what's the difference?

#114 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Even better with the revenue sharing, isnt Philly helping Nashville to pay for Webers massive contract? lol
http://Posted Image

#115 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,758 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

We didn't make a serious longer term offer, because the end result was obvious: Nashville matches. The one year, massive offer sheet approach was never going to work, because of the expiring CBA.

The only option was to hope for the best next year as a UFA. It never came to that because Weber wanted a deal under current CBA terms. Who could blame him really? Philly just sealed the deal for Weber and Nashville.

It just shows the greed of players to me.

They want these ridiculous 15 year contracts knowing that there's no way they'll be worth the amount they're being paid for the majority of the contract. Instead of being paid what they're worth.

In the new CBA 5-7 contract max may actually be a good thing.

Posted Image

#116 The Ghost of Tom Joad

The Ghost of Tom Joad

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

I disagree. 4 low first rounders are not even close to Webers worth. The flyers would have stolen him if the Preds didn't match.

Did you even read my post? I specifically said I did not think the Predators had the financial capacity to match the offer; I said nothing regarding whether it was good or bad for the team to not match the offer. Actually, the latter part of post implies that I think it would have been a poor decision for the franchise to not match. Nashville is still in a really bad situation: they have to pay Weber $26 million in the first 11 months of his contract-- or almost 25% of his total 14-year deal-- and after that, he could then easily request a trade.

Edited by eh Blondie, 24 July 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#117 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

Expected, but you've gotta feel for Weber, being stuck in Nashville until the end of time.

What's wrong with Nashville? They have a good team.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#118 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Was expecting Preds to sign, and then trade.....wonder if that latter part will happen now?

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#119 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Nice that they matched. I would have been disappointed if they hadn't. Though I didn't think they would have...
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#120 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

Well he didn`t exactly win, because he didn`t get Weber.

He was definitely right though in the assumption that there was no offer that could get him out of Nashville.

I was talking about winning in the sense that he was right and the quick to judge fans were wrong.

Subbancopy.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.