236 replies to this topic

#211 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

Here's a meaningless trivia question. Weber is due to get 1 million a year, fourteen years from now. By that time the minimum might well be over a million. Q. does he get a million or the minimum? (assuming it's over a million)

#212 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Here's a meaningless trivia question. Weber is due to get 1 million a year, fourteen years from now. By that time the minimum might well be over a million. Q. does he get a million or the minimum? (assuming it's over a million)

You win the most creative question of the day. I assume they would be forced to give whatever the minimum is.
Posted Image

#213 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

You win the most creative question of the day. I assume they would be forced to give whatever the minimum is.

I disagree. He'll get whatever the contract states. That thing is legally binding, and signed within the current rules.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#214 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

The thing is that once they pay him the signing bonuses his contract is easier to swallow and therefore the Preds can demand more for him in a trade.

The thing is once they pay him $27 million to play one year of hockey they only have to pay him $1 million for the 2nd year of service. The Preds are not going to trade Weber after paying him $27 freaking dollars to play hockey for one year.

#215 PredsFanFromLa

PredsFanFromLa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Shea weber had a conference call today with the media:

this is what he said:

http://www.tennessea...reer-Music-City

#216 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Got me thinking could you build a good team with late first round picks.
Some of the bottom 11 first round draft picks form the last 13 years:

Jordan Eberle - Mike Richards - Corey Perry
Steve Ott - Ryan Kesler - Brad Boyes
David Perron - Travis Zajac - Alexander Frolov
Steve Downie- Brian Sutherby- T.J. Oshie
Extras: Justin Williams/ Nicklas Bergfors/ Tyler Ennis

Niklas Kronwall - Brain Boyle
Michael Del Zotto- Mike Green
Brent Burns-John Carlson
Extras: Jeff Schultz

Cory schneider
Tuukka Rask

Up and comers : Viktor Tikhonov/ Carter Ashton/ Marcus Johansson/ Jacob Josefson/ Quinton Howden/ Nicklas Jensen/ Mark Pysyk/ Jarred Tinordi

#217 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,758 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Shea weber had a conference call today with the media:

this is what he said:

http://www.tennessea...reer-Music-City

So I guess we're supposed to come to the conclusion that he wanted to stay in Nashville, but they weren't offering him enough money, so this was his way of getting it?

If it was more about winning then money, why wouldn't he take less from Nashville in order to help them be able to spend more towards the cap?

Sorry but this wreaks of BS. He wanted a big payday, bottom line. I hate when players try and sugarcoat things like this.

And he probably only wants a NTC so that he has some choice of where he goes if he wants a trade later on or if the Preds wanna trade him. I say screw that. He didn't show loyalty to the Preators, so if they wanna trade him down the road it should be to whatever team they want.

Edited by DeNiro, 25 July 2012 - 03:37 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#218 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Sorry but this wreaks of BS. He wanted a big payday, bottom line. I hate when players try and sugarcoat things like this.

Of course, he could have wanted a big payday AND to stay in Nashville. Those two aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, he might have wanted to play in Philly OR Nashville as those don't ahve ot be mutually exclusive either.

#219 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,758 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Of course, he could have wanted a big payday AND to stay in Nashville. Those two aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, he might have wanted to play in Philly OR Nashville as those don't ahve ot be mutually exclusive either.

Exactly. By signing that offersheet he was basically saying that he would be happy playing in Philly or Nashville for the rest of his career. As long as he got a truckload of money.

Now that it's Nashville, he comes out and says that he wants to spend the rest of his career there like it was his first and only choice.

I just don't like the two-faced players like that.

Edited by DeNiro, 25 July 2012 - 04:00 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#220 King_Canuckian

King_Canuckian

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

Just read today that when the Preds decided to match the offer sheet, Poile asked Trotz to drive to Weber's house to deliver the news in person.

So Weber has an off-season home in Nashville. That doesn't sound like the kind of player that really wanted out.

#221 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

I disagree. He'll get whatever the contract states. That thing is legally binding, and signed within the current rules.

Good question by my opinon is minimum wage requirements trump contract wage. The NHL will only allow you to pay a minimum amount per year.

In other words, if you sign a contract to get 8 bucks an hour and then minimum wage goes to 10 bucks, your employer will have to raise your wage to $10 bucks.
Posted Image

#222 PredsFanFromLa

PredsFanFromLa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Just read today that when the Preds decided to match the offer sheet, Poile asked Trotz to drive to Weber's house to deliver the news in person.

So Weber has an off-season home in Nashville. That doesn't sound like the kind of player that really wanted out.

they both were in british columbia,when the preds decided to match,so trotz got to tell weber in person before the media found out.he lives 25 mins from weber

#223 Zackassian

Zackassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

A guy paid that kind of bonus money will be moving houses even if he is staying in Nashville.
It's a split squad game.

#224 Brad Marchand

Brad Marchand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

A guy paid that kind of bonus money will be moving houses even if he is staying in Nashville.

Weber should buy one with a large pool so he can go swimming in his bonus money.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Luc Bourdon & Rick Rypien: Forever Canucks

#225 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Exactly. By signing that offersheet he was basically saying that he would be happy playing in Philly or Nashville for the rest of his career. As long as he got a truckload of money.

Now that it's Nashville, he comes out and says that he wants to spend the rest of his career there like it was his first and only choice.

I just don't like the two-faced players like that.

I don't understand the anger. Weber never said he wanted out of Nashville. Clearly contract talks weren't going anywhere (just like last season) so the guy signs an offer sheet knowing full well that Nashville would likely match it.

It sounds like a win-win situation for Weber: if Nashville matches he gets to stay with the team and gets money and term, plus he gets his contract before the new CBA. If Nashville doesn't match then he gets to play for a SC contender.

Sounds like a smart business decision to me.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#226 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hey, just thinking out loud here, but after you get past the 17-18 season the Preds have a superDman for cheap for the rest of his playing career. Weird, but even after the rollback this offseason, the preds may win this situation from 2018 to 2023 having an allstar Dman for dirt cheap, albeit, having paid up front for him, while still enjoying the high cap hit.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#227 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hey, just thinking out loud here, but after you get past the 17-18 season the Preds have a superDman for cheap for the rest of his playing career. Weird, but even after the rollback this offseason, the preds may win this situation from 2018 to 2023 having an allstar Dman for dirt cheap, albeit, having paid up front for him, while still enjoying the high cap hit.

Kinda like Luongo.
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

#228 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:44 AM

I don't understand the anger. Weber never said he wanted out of Nashville. Clearly contract talks weren't going anywhere (just like last season) so the guy signs an offer sheet knowing full well that Nashville would likely match it.

It sounds like a win-win situation for Weber: if Nashville matches he gets to stay with the team and gets money and term, plus he gets his contract before the new CBA. If Nashville doesn't match then he gets to play for a SC contender.

Sounds like a smart business decision to me.

I think the main conclusion is that Weber's first priority was to get a long term deal with a crap load of money before new CBA. However, there really was ZERO loyalty on Weber's part towards Nashville. He shouldn't say his first choice was to stay in Nashville. 110m spread over 14 years is definitely a contract that Nasvhille can match but he signed a crippling one which was front loaded with heavy bonuses that would screw over Nashville.
If he really wanted to stay in Nashville AND wanted the 14yr 110m contract WITHOUT screwing Nashville over, he could have just went to Poile and said, Philly just gave me a crazy front loaded 14 yr 110m contract. I can't pass this up. My first preference is Nashville so I want you guys to match but if you are going to match, I don't want to cripple the franchise so we can work the numbers so that you don't have to pay me 27m in 1 calendar year. How does 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8,6,3,1. That way we can get some other guys signed to build a winner. That sounds like what a true captain would do...

#229 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

I think the main conclusion is that Weber's first priority was to get a long term deal with a crap load of money before new CBA. However, there really was ZERO loyalty on Weber's part towards Nashville. He shouldn't say his first choice was to stay in Nashville. 110m spread over 14 years is definitely a contract that Nasvhille can match but he signed a crippling one which was front loaded with heavy bonuses that would screw over Nashville.
If he really wanted to stay in Nashville AND wanted the 14yr 110m contract WITHOUT screwing Nashville over, he could have just went to Poile and said, Philly just gave me a crazy front loaded 14 yr 110m contract. I can't pass this up. My first preference is Nashville so I want you guys to match but if you are going to match, I don't want to cripple the franchise so we can work the numbers so that you don't have to pay me 27m in 1 calendar year. How does 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8,6,3,1. That way we can get some other guys signed to build a winner. That sounds like what a true captain would do...

I totally see your point. I guess I'm just thinking that it seems as if Weber was tired of waiting for Nashville to make an offer. It's possible that Weber was questioning Nashville's willingness to spend to win (which is valid after not being able to retain Suter) and so decided to force the issue.

I agree with you that it may not have been the most "noble" thing to do - even more so as he is the captain. But, at the end of the day, hockey players have to be businessmen also. You're 100% correct in that Weber's first priority was to get a long term contract before the new CBA kicks in, and the bonus gets paid regardless of if there is hockey next season.

I think where we disagree is on how we view his actions - I really don't have an issue with players taking care of themselves. They will get paid what the market will bear (i.e. - what GM's are willing to spend).

You also make a really good point in that this contract may cripple Nashville's ability to be competitive - it'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years.

#230 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

I totally see your point. I guess I'm just thinking that it seems as if Weber was tired of waiting for Nashville to make an offer. It's possible that Weber was questioning Nashville's willingness to spend to win (which is valid after not being able to retain Suter) and so decided to force the issue.

I agree with you that it may not have been the most "noble" thing to do - even more so as he is the captain. But, at the end of the day, hockey players have to be businessmen also. You're 100% correct in that Weber's first priority was to get a long term contract before the new CBA kicks in, and the bonus gets paid regardless of if there is hockey next season.

I think where we disagree is on how we view his actions - I really don't have an issue with players taking care of themselves. They will get paid what the market will bear (i.e. - what GM's are willing to spend).

You also make a really good point in that this contract may cripple Nashville's ability to be competitive - it'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years.

Totally agree. Don't get me wrong. If i was in Weber's shoes, I would definitely have signed that contract. Front loaded 110m contract is worth much more than getting paid 7m per season for 14 years (due to inflation, etc)

Weber's decision was a personal business decision more than a hockey decision and I think that's what people are griping about. That being said, if another company offered me 110m right now to jump ship, I'd jump without looking back.

#231 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Totally agree. Don't get me wrong. If i was in Weber's shoes, I would definitely have signed that contract. Front loaded 110m contract is worth much more than getting paid 7m per season for 14 years (due to inflation, etc)

Weber's decision was a personal business decision more than a hockey decision and I think that's what people are griping about. That being said, if another company offered me 110m right now to jump ship, I'd jump without looking back.

Ah, polite discussion - it's almost a lost art on this forum.

:)

#232 DSVII

DSVII

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

Although I am disappointed Nucks lost out on Weber, i am happy Philly did not get him and happy as well for Nashville, they had it hard enough this offseason losing Suter and Radulov.

"The Canucks, are like North America, many of us have it so much better than others around the world or NHL, and we don't properly appreciate what we have."

"If Canucks fans hate Mason Raymond so bad, then you should have said something before the trade deadline! Because the Leafs would have totally taken him. I mean, can he score? Can he play a HINT of defense? WE'LL TAKE HIM! WE'LL TAKE TWO!"

- Steve Dangle (Leafs Fan Reaction - youtube)

#233 hyflyin

hyflyin

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

End

#234 OrrFour

OrrFour

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:04 AM

I wonder how this contract will impact Weber's influence in the room.
Do his teammates forget about the $27 million he'll be making in one year?
How about if the preds don't spend any extra money because of Web's contract?
What happens if the preds and Web start the season slowly?
I have a feeling that the fans will not be kind, but how will the players react?
Will they say to themselves: 'Let the $27 million dollar man get it done.'?

#235 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

Dustin Leed@D_LEED

Has Shea Weber signed his SPC in Nashville, yet?

@Realdeal411 apparently it was never signed and finalized with Nashville.

@Realdeal411 Weber needs to finalize a standard player contract with Nashville. He hasn't done that.

Wonder if it's a normal thing that he hasn't technically signed yet?

#236 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,493 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

Good question by my opinon is minimum wage requirements trump contract wage. The NHL will only allow you to pay a minimum amount per year.

In other words, if you sign a contract to get 8 bucks an hour and then minimum wage goes to 10 bucks, your employer will have to raise your wage to $10 bucks.

LOL, I'm pretty sure the minimum wage will not be $1 million dollars per year in the USA in 14 years. Try $20,000.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#237 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

LOL, I'm pretty sure the minimum wage will not be $1 million dollars per year in the USA in 14 years. Try $20,000.

I think he's talking about NHL minimum salary as per CBA which was approx $525 k last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.