Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

MG's Strategy?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 Ricciuti1

Ricciuti1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

With training camp coming up, I recently heard on OTR people's opinions on the Luongo matter and why MG is taking so long.

Although the Canucks do not seem they have pressure to unload Luongo anytime soon, it is clear that they need to...and it needs to be done before training camp to avoid any distraction.

At the same time though, with the teams that are in the hunt for Luongo (T.O, FLA) not improving their aspect in goal, it is obvious something is in the work. In the end, with MG holding off a bit longer, it is the teams that NEED a goalie that will be much more desperate then the team that will not need Luongo's services come training camp and beyond.

However, the only problem I see with this now is that it holds the Canucks back from signing Doan or Arnott. I can't see this going any longer then mid-August. Does anyone know an exact date for training camp?

#2 Biasbieksa

Biasbieksa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

Id imagine hes waiting for Doans decision. Then he has a quick trade in plan with Florida, and will sign Doan soon after ( if thats the case)
He wants to know what he has to get, to fit into the lineup, depending on Doans, and even Arnotts decisions.

#3 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

not sure of the exact date but i think players start arriving in vancouver in early september

everything you said there is true and i think MG knows that he needs to get rid of lui before camp and i think FLA/CHI/TOR know that they need an upgrade in goal.

both sides of the trade are in a bit of a tough spot here

Edited by CanucksFanMike, 03 August 2012 - 05:41 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#4 Ricciuti1

Ricciuti1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

I thought pre-season starts in Sept...I thought training camp was is August sometime?

#5 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

With training camp coming up, I recently heard on OTR people's opinions on the Luongo matter and why MG is taking so long.

Although the Canucks do not seem they have pressure to unload Luongo anytime soon, it is clear that they need to...and it needs to be done before training camp to avoid any distraction.

At the same time though, with the teams that are in the hunt for Luongo (T.O, FLA) not improving their aspect in goal, it is obvious something is in the work. In the end, with MG holding off a bit longer, it is the teams that NEED a goalie that will be much more desperate then the team that will not need Luongo's services come training camp and beyond.

However, the only problem I see with this now is that it holds the Canucks back from signing Doan or Arnott. I can't see this going any longer then mid-August. Does anyone know an exact date for training camp?

No, the Doan situation is holding everything off.

If Doan signs here, we would probably just ask for a good prospect (Bjugstad) and a roster player, and we will probably trade away Ballard. If Doan doesn't sign here, we would go all in for Versteeg. and maybe sign Arnott.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#6 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Probably Not A Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

Posted Image
Let MG handle it first, and then we'll debate.

Edited by TrueStory, 03 August 2012 - 05:41 PM.

Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#7 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

SHEA WEBER

#8 Go Faulk Yourself

Go Faulk Yourself

Junko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,059 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

Id imagine hes waiting for Doans decision. Then he has a quick trade in plan with Florida, and will sign Doan soon after ( if thats the case)
He wants to know what he has to get, to fit into the lineup, depending on Doans, and even Arnotts decisions.

^This, MG is waiting until the Doan situation is resolved, after that we will figure out what will happen with Arnott and Luongo from there on out.

9HRDQZn.gif

St. Louis Blues STHS GM small.png

Colorado Avalanche EHL GM small.png

#9 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

Keep in mind that Gillis has a bit of extra time and wiggle room in these wheelings and dealings since Kesler and his $5 million cap hit will be on the injury list.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#10 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

He has a deal in place he is just waiting on Doan to find his needs.

Thx
Pcuzz B)

Edited by kanucks1, 03 August 2012 - 05:55 PM.

Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#11 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

.. and to add further muddle to the situation, MG may KNOW the season will not be starting on time i.e. until Kesler is ready, which add's another dimension to the dynamic .. don't ya just love "Summer on the CDC"?? .. ::D

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#12 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

He has no strategy.

#13 Sbriggs

Sbriggs

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

Its funny how you all think you know what MG is thinking???? Be patient and wait for him to make his move, whatever it is, then we will debate and all the pro's and con's from "You know it all's" , can be heard

#14 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,311 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:07 PM

than
Posted Image

#15 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,888 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

For those still able to pay attention,MG stated in his second 'year end review' presser that he 'makes it up as he goes along'.

Pretty much explains CDC, as well.

Enjoying summer? Months upon months upon months of rain is a coming.

Edited by nuck nit, 03 August 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#16 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,241 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

Kesler's 5M will be off the books so we can still afford to have Luongo in. I say keep Luongo and Schneider working as a tandem up until at least the New Year and go from there. Sure, give Schneider the starting position for opening night and see how long he lasts before he starts showing signs of inconsistency and fatigue, because he will (as every goalie does) and when he does we'll be glad we didn't trade Luongo.
Posted Image

#17 TyrEnkidu

TyrEnkidu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

Kesler's 5M will be off the books so we can still afford to have Luongo in. I say keep Luongo and Schneider working as a tandem up until at least the New Year and go from there. Sure, give Schneider the starting position for opening night and see how long he lasts before he starts showing signs of inconsistency and fatigue, because he will (as every goalie does) and when he does we'll be glad we didn't trade Luongo.

We are currently NOT over the cap,,,,,Of course we can Keep Lu...the cap is NOT the issue....continuity and chemistry are the only issues that involve Lu

photo-49848.jpgTyrEnkiduSignatureGrey1.gifcanucksminisig.gif

#18 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

F**k Bitches, Get Money.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#19 Canuck_Inferno

Canuck_Inferno

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

I've said this before, Luongo himself said that it's to time to move on. He's made it pretty clear that he wants out. No matter how you try to look at it, Luongo is not going to be a Canuck at the start of next season.

#20 hungerofthewolf

hungerofthewolf

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

I think we are more likely to end up with Arnott. I think Doan will end up resigning for the Coyotes. Just a feeling.

#21 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

I think we are more likely to end up with Arnott. I think Doan will end up resigning for the Coyotes. Just a feeling.

One can only hope ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#22 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,508 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

I don't see the Luongo deal holding the Canucks back from signing Doan - I think it's the other way around - I could see Gillis holding off on a Luongo deal until he knows what Doan decides.
If he lands Doan, imo a young center and/or right handed blueliner from Florida - and probably won't take salary unless there are other contracts involved on both sides.
If he doesn't land Doan, he might be willing to take back some salary in the form of a right winger (ie perhaps take a risk on Upshall as part of a Luongo deal) but will probably still want prospects.
MG has plenty of time to deal Luongo, and I really don't see signing Doan (if that happens) as weakening his bargaining position due to cap space - the teams looking to upgrade are also under pressure to upgrade, which pretty much balances things out, and they will have to pay a fair price. I don't see it being worthwhile for them to wait it out while someone else makes a fair market value offer. Regardless, the Canucks have more options than the teams looking for a quality veteran goaltender.

Edited by oldnews, 03 August 2012 - 07:21 PM.

#23 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

F**k Bitches, Get Money.

Posted Image

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#24 rluongo01

rluongo01

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

I thought pre-season starts in Sept...I thought training camp was is August sometime?

Training camp starts around early to mid-September(around the 12th-13th) and goes on for about a week or so. The preseason games start around the 20th of September. We usually play around 7-8 preseason games, which would take us to about the 28th-30th, After that we have to wait another week for the season to start(wait even longer this year cause we open on October 11th/potential for lockout).

#25 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

P"
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#26 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

The longer gillis waits the better
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#27 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Agree with OP - he is bound to go soon especially with us close to getting Doan and/or Arnott.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#28 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

Like you said, OP, with the teams that are in the hunt for Luongo (T.O, FLA) not improving their aspect in goal, it is obvious something is in the work. In the end, with MG holding off a bit longer, it is the teams that NEED a goalie that will be much more desperate then the team that will not need Luongo's services come training camp and beyond.

Milk them for what he can, then sign Doan or if not then sign Arnott or both.

:bored:

Posted Image

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#29 shane1733

shane1733

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

I disagree with most of you, i dont think hes waiting for Doan or Arnott and at this point training camp is not a factor. I think what he is waiting for is the collective bargaining agreement, maybe he has until december or even next year. IMO its better for canucks if season starts in december because then teams wont be able to have a feeling out period with their Reimers or Theodores and will be more pressured to solidify before the season starts.

#30 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

Keep in mind that Gillis has a bit of extra time and wiggle room in these wheelings and dealings since Kesler and his $5 million cap hit will be on the injury list.

regards,
G.

That's true and strangely hadn't occurred to me or I suspect many others (given everyone says "If we sign Doan, we're over the cap". Although it may not actually be the case that he'll be injured into December. I do wonder how much the "No Kesler won't be healthy in Oct" comment was damage control because MG wants everyone else to know he can wait all year for them to come crawling to him for a goalie.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.