The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks working on new deal for Burrows

For all the people hating on Burrows, on the Open market he would be offered 5mil +. He will take a pay cut in the 4 mil range. yes that is a pay cut. This guy is a huge part of our core. I'd rank his value above Kesler just because he is much more consistent. He'd be the perfect captain if he could keep his mouth shut :towel:

For all the people hating on Burrows, on the Open market he would be offered 5mil +. He will take a pay cut in the 4 mil range. yes that is a pay cut. This guy is a huge part of our core. I'd rank his value above Kesler just because he is much more consistent. He'd be the perfect captain if he could keep his mouth shut :towel:

Yeah, a lot of 3rd rate hockey players is what we tried. Try putting a genuine first liner with these guys before they are too old and see what they can do. It ain't rocket science. Hmmm, two first line superstars, let's find them the least talented players we can.

Nothing against Burrows but he looks the best with the Sedins because every other player that had a suspended stint with them was crap.

Bernier and Pyatt certainly didn't do well with the Sedins ...

I don't think Burrows gets enough credit on here. He's a great hockey player even without the Sedins and to say things like he's only producing because he plays w/ the Sedins isn't fair. The Sedins also produced their best seasons playing with Burrows, so would it be fair to say that the Sedins aren't Art Ross winners without Burrows ? It works both ways if you want to have that kind of mindset.

For the record, Burrows is 83rd in forward scoring (points per game) over the last 3 seasons. There are 90 "top-line" forwards in the league ... Do the math ...

This under valuing Burrows bothers me. He's at least a five million a year player. If he received top line power play minutes he'd likely have at least one 40 goal year.

And it's a huge myth that he took a big discount last time. His best season was 12 goals and 31 points. Two million was close to his value. The term was long but the annual pay was fair.

Yeah, a lot of 3rd rate hockey players is what we tried. Try putting a genuine first liner with these guys before they are too old and see what they can do. It ain't rocket science. Hmmm, two first line superstars, let's find them the least talented players we can.

Nothing against Burrows but he looks the best with the Sedins because every other player that had a suspended stint with them was crap.

True, but I was responding to a post that said any grinding checker could play well with them, which is clearly not the case. No question that if we had a legit star to play with them, that line would destroy the league. But I was just disagreeing with the point that ANYONE can do well with the Sedins.

You'll have to refresh my memeory, seriously I was re-enacting the 60's for a couple years there. I don't recall them getting an extended period of hockey with the Sedins but point taken if I missed something ... in fact I don't recall anyone besides Carter or Burrows playing more than 30, 40 games in a row with these guys.

Was that at the end of Nazzy's reign here?

Saskatchewan's biggest Canucks fan?

I guess, now that I live in (ugg) Calgary. :lol:B)

I did a search on the internet. /topic/276426-sedin-linemates-over-the-years/">http://forum.canucks...over-the-years/

In the OP from the link above from 2010:

2000-01 = Trent Klatt, Todd Bertuzzi

2001-02 = Trent Klatt

2002-03 = Trent Klatt, Trevor Linden

2003-04 = Jason King, Magnus Arvedsson

2005-06 = Anson Carter

2006-07 = Taylor Pyatt

2007-08 = Taylor Pyatt, Markus Naslund

2008-09 = Alex Burrows, Pavol Demitra, Steve Bernier

2009-10 = Alex Burrows, Mikael Samuelsson.

Ha ha, at least my opinions don't radically change, I comment pretty much the same thing as I have now, it does reconfirm the revolving door and lack of a gifted player to play with these guys.

Burrows was near the end of a 28 goal, 50 point season before he signed his last discount contract in March 2009. To say he didn't sign at much of a discount, or that he had just joined the twins, who were responsible for his success, is extremely near sighted. He was worth his 2 million the year before he re-signed, when he scored 30 points, killed penalties, etc, etc.

Everyone knows he scored another 89 (5 on 5 and shorthanded) goals, plus 79 assists and a remarkable +84 in the three years since signing that deal - if you look at the comparables - you'd be looking at guys making 3 times as much as him and would have a hard time finding a player averaging 30 goals who doesn't make 5 million. People here arguing 3.5 max etc are way out of touch - that's essentially expecting another huge discount that would maintain his status as one of the most relatively underpaid players in the NHL. Suppose it's not surprising that there are Canucks fans here who take the guy for granted and still don't realize everything he brings to a hockey team. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed a deal with an average 4 million cap hit, but that is simply because it is Burrows we are talking about - as a UFA, he'd command numbers that would shock a lot of people here.

Archived