The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

15 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

And I suspect there's a whole lot of Division I College coaches who would wholeheartedly agree with you - Nick Saban leading the list.

In fact, Saban might very well be in favour of a retroactive draft and letting him go this year!

After what he did to his defense in the National Championship game it would be totally understandable why he wouldn’t want to face him again :lol: 

14 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

They'll get to top 5 mostly based on the volume of attempts with the rbs AND Wilson running for his life half the time when he drops back. Penny is inconsistent and McKissac will catch a few balls but not really a threat running. Lockett is going to be decent but the supporting cast is way too lacking. Jaron Brown is a #3-#4 in most teams, their group of TE's are unproven, and DK Metcalf is very overrated. His routes are absolutely dreadful and he's injury prone. Top 5 offence is HIGHLY unlikely, they'll be in the bottom half of the league.

That being said, the only thing thats going to keep the Hawks in the playoff hunt is the fact they seem to make plays when they matter, and also being gift wrapped 4 easy wins since they play the Cards and the 49ers. They aren't explosive enough, but they'll grind away wins with possesion, special teams, and Wilson basically walking on water. They'll probably end up being 9-7 or 10-6 in very ugly fashion

I think people overemphasis DK Metcalf's faults. He will be a weapon in Seattle because of the vertical nature of their passing game. No corner in the league wants that man running Go's and Posts against them. 

Seattle will not be a top 5 offense in yards, but I can see them there in points scored.

9 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I think people overemphasis DK Metcalf's faults. He will be a weapon in Seattle because of the vertical nature of their passing game. No corner in the league wants that man running Go's and Posts against them. 

Seattle will not be a top 5 offense in yards, but I can see them there in points scored.

Thats the only routes he CAN run. You're talking him up as if he's Randy Moss, which he's not. Corners and safeties have enough speed that they'll be able to close in on him and if they don't they'll give them some cushion up front. Troy Williamson, Justin Hunter, Dorian Green Beckham, all those guys have the measurables (in some combination) of a DK Metcalf. Fast, big, are only good on go's fades, and posts. All of them are out of the league. I'll take a small but an absolute technician in route running over a burner thats big with a limited route tree anyday of the week.

12 hours ago, Pears said:

After what he did to his defense in the National Championship game it would be totally understandable why he wouldn’t want to face him again :lol: 

Thats crazy to think that less than a year before that, the guy was at his high school prom hahah. You can probably put Lawrence on any crappy team like the Redskins and they'd be talking up a chance of at least making it to the post season

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Thats the only routes he CAN run. You're talking him up as if he's Randy Moss, which he's not. Corners and safeties have enough speed that they'll be able to close in on him and if they don't they'll give them some cushion up front. Troy Williamson, Justin Hunter, Dorian Green Beckham, all those guys have the measurables (in some combination) of a DK Metcalf. Fast, big, are only good on go's fades, and posts. All of them are out of the league. I'll take a small but an absolute technician in route running over a burner thats big with a limited route tree anyday of the week.

But were they in the right offense? We are talking about an offense that thrives of PA and the long pass. Russ is the best deep ball thrower in the NFL. DK will get his chances to make plays. Its about having a collection of guys that bring different things to an offense.

10 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Thats crazy to think that less than a year before that, the guy was at his high school prom hahah. You can probably put Lawrence on any crappy team like the Redskins and they'd be talking up a chance of at least making it to the post season

I'm expecting some teams to start tanking this year just to get some tanking practice in so they can tank really good in 2020!

• Haha 1

This year’s hard knocks sucks. 

No interesting story lines or players trying to make it to follow. 

The AB drama is just dumb because he doesn’t realize last season was his 1 year grace period. 

Derek Carr has less personality than a potato chip. 

Glennon and Peterman have even less personality than Carr. 

If it wasn’t for Abrams wanting to hit everything that moves this season would literally have nothing. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2019 at 12:58 AM, filthycanuck said:

Hunter Renfrow > D.K. Metcalf?

9 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

This year’s hard knocks sucks. 

No interesting story lines or players trying to make it to follow. 

The AB drama is just dumb because he doesn’t realize last season was his 1 year grace period. 

Derek Carr has less personality than a potato chip. 

Glennon and Peterman have even less personality than Carr. 

If it wasn’t for Abrams wanting to hit everything that moves this season would literally have nothing. 

Agreed. Too much focus on A.B. 

Best part so far was Frank Caliendo impersonating Gruden in front of the whole team.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:44 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

Can’t wait to flip Stidham for a 3rd round pick and have the news cycle of “ 0MG3rz tHeY tRaDeD bRaDyS sUcCeSsOr” begin again. 

They could get Josh Rosen maybe down the line.

The way he is going. He is struggling to win the job so far in Miami.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:17 PM, ReggieBush said:

Sure thing @Chip Kelly

Seattle is going to be good on offense. Lockett is fantastic and they have some pieces who can develop into targets. John Ursua is one of them. Receivers are a dime a dozen. It is my personal belief that what separates replacement level receivers and good (not great) receivers is opportunity/targets. Additionally, the first team OL has looked good in pass pro and you know they are going to run the ball.

On the defensive side of the ball I am a little worried about the pass rush. I hope that they use a draft pick or two to address that need, especially if Ziggy isn't good to go for week one. The back 7 is going to be really good. The best off ball LB corps in the NFL, and a really young secondary that was ok last season (expect major improvements from T2 and Shaquill Griffin). 

Special teams looks good too with the signing of Meyers. Seattle is always going to be in close games, so having a quality kicker that you can trust can easily flip L's into W's on the schedule (see 2017 as proof)

They will be fine. Expecting 10 wins out of this team

I'm excited for that stretch where Eagles play the Patriots and Seahawks back to back. Arguably the 2 most successful franchises in the last decade.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Looks like it's taking the Patsies a long time to come down from that Super Bowl high....B)

https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/patriots-safety-patrick-chung-indicted-cocaine-possession-charge/

Dam what are the odds that the only player in the NFL that's done cocaine just happens to play for the Patriots?:bigblush:

Image result for gta MEDICINAL COCAINE

16 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Dam what are the odds that the only player in the NFL that's done cocaine just happens to play for the Patriots?:bigblush:

Image result for gta MEDICINAL COCAINE

I think we need to wait and see if he's convicted....

If he has a criminal record, I'm pretty sure that guarantees negotiating rights to the Bengals....B)

• Haha 3

Play an NFL pre season game in Winnipeg they said... it will be a success they said...

LOL! What a joke!

Did they not realize long ago about the goal posts potentially being an issue with the field?  Or even that no one would be interested seeing these 2 teams play with the ticket prices?  The place is just dead.

The only possible way I could see another NFL preseason game being a potential success would be to play the Seahawks at BC Place. Even then, tickets would have to be cheap.

11 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I'm excited for that stretch where Eagles play the Patriots and Seahawks back to back. Arguably the 2 most successful franchises in the last decade.

I think the Eagles will win the division. I think the Cowboys will regress (especially with no Zeke), Washington has no QB, and the Giants just don't have the talent.

1 hour ago, Grapefruits said:

Play an NFL pre season game in Winnipeg they said... it will be a success they said...

LOL! What a joke!

Did they not realize long ago about the goal posts potentially being an issue with the field?  Or even that no one would be interested seeing these 2 teams play with the ticket prices?  The place is just dead.

The only possible way I could see another NFL preseason game being a potential success would be to play the Seahawks at BC Place. Even then, tickets would have to be cheap.

BC place would sellout for the hawks imo. There is a huge following of the NFL in BC, especially for the Hawks. Something like 15% of Hawk season ticket holders are from north of the border too, so there is that to consider. I think an underrated thing to consider is that BC is the only province where HS Football is played under american football rules, not canadian. 

I know guys from the praries that can't name 10 NFL teams (let alone players on the rosters) but are very familiar with CFL rosters.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

LOL! What a joke!

The NFL failed in Toronto.  Why would they think it would succeed in the fishbowl that is Winnipeg?

14 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Hunter Renfrow > D.K. Metcalf?

Agreed. Too much focus on A.B. 

Best part so far was Frank Caliendo impersonating Gruden in front of the whole team.

Yup, defintely Renfrow over Metcalf, although Im not sure how Renfrow is gonna do in Grudens offence. I don't think the slot gets a lot of targets in his scheme and Gruden has an obsession with tall WR's (keelan doss). Metcalf isnt going to beat any CBs in the league with just sheer straight line speed, he can do that in college, but not in the NFL. A lot of people only see the highlights of the reciever catching the ball in the end of the route, but they don't see the work that goes into getting seperation in the beginning of the play. A guy like Doug Baldwin whos not fast, not big, but beats CBs deep and shallow routes almost consistently is because hes a great route runner, getting leverage, knowing when to stem the defender, footwork etc. DK doesn't have that in his game.

Ive watched hard knocks this season, yeah Caliendo is the highlight so far, WAY WAY too much AB. I would've loved Caliendo to do his Gruden. Im not sure if you've seen Caliendos vids impersonating Gruden, its hilarious. I liked the Waller bit as well, didn't know he was a junky, good that he cleaned his act up and Gruden seems to love picking on Renfrow hahahah

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2019 at 9:30 PM, ReggieBush said:

I think the Eagles will win the division. I think the Cowboys will regress (especially with no Zeke), Washington has no QB, and the Giants just don't have the talent.

BC place would sellout for the hawks imo. There is a huge following of the NFL in BC, especially for the Hawks. Something like 15% of Hawk season ticket holders are from north of the border too, so there is that to consider. I think an underrated thing to consider is that BC is the only province where HS Football is played under american football rules, not canadian. 

I know guys from the praries that can't name 10 NFL teams (let alone players on the rosters) but are very familiar with CFL rosters.

I think Elliot will get signed sooner rather than later.

Even Jerrah knows that Tony Pollard, who wasn't a feature back in college, is not the answer if they want to compete.

I see the Eagles going 11-5 or better if healthy.

First real test will be against the Packers in Green Bay with Aaron Rodgers.