The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

10 hours ago, TheRick said:

Wow! So the top 2 QBs/Players, (Luck & RG3), from the 2012 draft both retire early due to injury! Meanwhile, Russel Wilson ends up being the best QB in that draft being drafted in the 3rd Rd!

Yup! Remember the draft grades the Seahawks draft class were getting? All of them were giving the Hawks D's LOL, Kiper said Wagner was a "reach" in the 2nd round, kind of shows you how much Kiper knows about football, which is F-all. That draft class, with Wilson being the cornerstone, basically turned the franchise around instantly

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Would it be any better though if they CHEERED him after they announced his retirement? Kind of figured that would be worse i think?

Most would prefer they were adults and just went home after the game and waited until he had announced his retirement rather than react to Adam Schefter's tweet and boo'd him off of the field. 

That was his last game as an active roster Colt.  There are no do-overs.  They just harmed their relationship with him for a long time if not forever.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why doesn't Kaepernick play in the CFL?

No US anthem to protest. He can just go out and play.

Maybe he can develop into a true QB, it's been done before.

Besides he can't be worse than Manziel.

because the CFL is trash and a joke

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why doesn't Kaepernick play in the CFL?

No US anthem to protest. He can just go out and play.

Maybe he can develop into a true QB, it's been done before.

Besides he can't be worse than Manziel.

Wouldn’t be a bad idea at all really. Would give him a chance to prove he can still play at a high level. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm not a fan of the rules of the CFL, but I admire the players who play for peanuts because they love the sport. 

I'm just thinking it would be a great way to rejuvenate his career. 

For Peanuts?

The average CFL salary 80k. 

They sure as hell ain't playing for peanuts. Sure they're not making what NFL players make, but living in Canada and making more than what nurses make to play a sport for 6 months a year is a pretty good deal. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

For Peanuts?

The average CFL salary 80k. 

They sure as hell ain't playing for peanuts. Sure they're not making what NFL players make, but living in Canada and making more than what nurses make to play a sport for 6 months a year is a pretty good deal. 

What’s the minimum salary though?  How much do guys get paid who are only on the practice roster?  It’s something like 25 to 30 thousand.  

When I was much younger 60’s to 80’s the CFL attracted way better US born players, especially in the earlier years.  The level of play was really good.  Now, I have trouble watching, because the level of play is quite poor, relatively speaking.  I wish I knew how to fix it, so we could get better US born guys up here.  Maybe we need to become strictly a development league for the NFL?  At least we’d have top US born players for a couple years, while they develop.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

What’s the minimum salary though?  How much do guys get paid who are only on the practice roster?  It’s something like 25 to 30 thousand.  

When I was much younger 60’s to 80’s the CFL attracted way better US born players, especially in the earlier years.  The level of play was really good.  Now, I have trouble watching, because the level of play is quite poor, relatively speaking.  I wish I knew how to fix it, so we could get better US born guys up here.  Maybe we need to become strictly a development league for the NFL?  At least we’d have top US born players for a couple years, while they develop.  

The league minimum is 54,000.

Great salary to practice 4 days a week for 6 months a year and make above 50k.

17 hours ago, Tre Mac said:
Image result for cfl attendanceRelated image
image.jpeg.9abe428a5d0a956e4ed5526fca7c1187.jpeg

You don't say:shock:

Theres a lot of problems with the CFL financially with poor crowds except for the Winnipegs and the Saskatchewans of the league. Ive been offered every year free tickets 5-6 games a year and I refuse to go, whether they have a good team or not. I know its free but when you factor in parking, food, beer, its stil a pretty penny, I'll do that for a Canucks game but not the Lions since Im a bigger hockey fan. Tack on the high cost of living, Whitecaps, NFL broadcasts being more accessible, and Lions game being televised I don't see the need to go to one. Theres just so much stuff people do now, surf the net, youtube, online gaming, or be social etc. that theres not a dull moment where like "hey theres nothing to do, lets watch the Lions game".

The only solution I can think of is doing away with the whole CFL union stuff and go towards the soccer model, like what happened to us with Alphonso Davies and other young players around the world. We develop them, and if the NFL wants them, they pay a transfer fee if they make an NFL roster. At least the CFL benefits financially so maybe they can attract better players because practice roster players in the NFL I think make upwards of $80K US minimum, if not more

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Theres a lot of problems with the CFL financially with poor crowds except for the Winnipegs and the Saskatchewans of the league. Ive been offered every year free tickets 5-6 games a year and I refuse to go, whether they have a good team or not. I know its free but when you factor in parking, food, beer, its stil a pretty penny, I'll do that for a Canucks game but not the Lions since Im a bigger hockey fan. Tack on the high cost of living, Whitecaps, NFL broadcasts being more accessible, and Lions game being televised I don't see the need to go to one. Theres just so much stuff people do now, surf the net, youtube, online gaming, or be social etc. that theres not a dull moment where like "hey theres nothing to do, lets watch the Lions game".

The only solution I can think of is doing away with the whole CFL union stuff and go towards the soccer model, like what happened to us with Alphonso Davies and other young players around the world. We develop them, and if the NFL wants them, they pay a transfer fee if they make an NFL roster. At least the CFL benefits financially so maybe they can attract better players because practice roster players in the NFL I think make upwards of $80K US minimum, if not more

It's the rules.  I already explained it in the Lions or CFL thread but the second they stop treating these American QB's like contestants on a Japanese game show the sooner this league will gain some credibility.  Switch to the 'normal' rules, expand to non NFL states and become a farm league for the NFL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

It's the rules.  I already explained it in the Lions or CFL thread but the second they stop treating these American QB's like contestants on a Japanese game show the sooner this league will gain some credibility.  Switch to the 'normal' rules, expand to non NFL states and become a farm league for the NFL.

But, but, it's Canadian, and has to be different. Who cares about the business side of things, it must stay this way to keep Canada as an independent country!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Being old, I’ve been around the CFL for the great years, and the crap years.  I totally agree with you.  We could have a 20 team (10 up here and 10 down there) league that’s a farm system for the NFL.  I don’t care where a guy is born.  If he makes the team then he should get to play.  This Canadians get roster spots is old.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

This Browns hype needs to end. I’ll shut up if they do go out and win 10, 11, 12 games but right now they’re getting so much undeserved attention. 

I like it. 

I’m also a fan of Baker and how he’s a cocky a**hole, especially after planting the OU flag in Columbus, but I’m probably like in the 1 percentile that likes him for those reasons. 

Don’t really care for OBJ or Landry. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I like it. 

I’m also a fan of Baker and how he’s a cocky a**hole, especially after planting the OU flag in Columbus, but I’m probably like in the 1 percentile that likes him for those reasons. 

Don’t really care for OBJ or Landry. 

Yeah I agree, Im a fan as well. Really digging the arrogance, its real different than the type that Antonio Brown has

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Being old, I’ve been around the CFL for the great years, and the crap years.  I totally agree with you.  We could have a 20 team (10 up here and 10 down there) league that’s a farm system for the NFL.  I don’t care where a guy is born.  If he makes the team then he should get to play.  This Canadians get roster spots is old.  

I agree. Theres enough appetite down south that they can support a few teams since football is such a popular past time. It will be in places like Idaho, Nebraska, states that don't have an NFL team, The CFL needs to concentrate on making money and creating a good product rather than trying to keep everything canadian. AT some point the bottom line should matter