The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

Something is very wrong with the Lions and it goes beyond the field. Ed Willis from The Province well pointed out that when the late Bob Ackles was around, the team didn't have to guarantee wins. I also think Wally is losing his touch in player recruitment. Yes, Lulay's the main meal ticket but if this season only hangs in the balance on account of him, then the problems run a lot deeper.

Wally has been great in bringing a continued stability to the franchise that has never had before. That said, expectations rise now. Back in the 50s and 60s, finishing with a 5-13 record was expected.

Wally has done a lot of great things, but the one thing he hasn't fixed is having a great o line. I never understood how you can have your meal ticket (the QB), stand behind a weak O line. You gotta do everything you can to protect him. Just look at all of the QB's we have had in the Wally era. Dickenson, Printers, Pierce, Jackson and Lulay. Jackson was built like a tank and was a back up and still got hit too much. Dickenson and Printers should have had longer careers. Lulay seems to be the next casualty. They have all had their fair share of injuries through the BC Lions system. Some blame can go to the O line coach Dan Dorazio who seems to be out of touch with the game these days, but Wally is so loyal to his coaches. Maybe it's time to build a team around more solid import O lineman. I rather have a QB have time in the pocket and throw to mediocre receivers than to have all star import receivers who never get the ball because the QB is getting sacked all the time.

• Upvote 2

Wally has been great in bringing a continued stability to the franchise that has never had before. That said, expectations rise now. Back in the 50s and 60s, finishing with a 5-13 record was expected.

Wally has done a lot of great things, but the one thing he hasn't fixed is having a great o line. I never understood how you can have your meal ticket (the QB), stand behind a weak O line. You gotta do everything you can to protect him. Just look at all of the QB's we have had in the Wally era. Dickenson, Printers, Pierce, Jackson and Lulay. Jackson was built like a tank and was a back up and still got hit too much. Dickenson and Printers should have had longer careers. Lulay seems to be the next casualty. They have all had their fair share of injuries through the BC Lions system. Some blame can go to the O line coach Dan Dorazio who seems to be out of touch with the game these days, but Wally is so loyal to his coaches. Maybe it's time to build a team around more solid import O lineman. I rather have a QB have time in the pocket and throw to mediocre receivers than to have all star import receivers who never get the ball because the QB is getting sacked all the time.

Great points! I totally agree. I should have been more specific about saying that Wally is losing his touch. He has done a fine job overall in getting quarterbacks but I cannot recall the last time the Lions had a good offensive line.

Speaking of loyalty, if Wally can put business ahead of loyalty with someone like Geroy Simon, then why not do the same thing with assistant coaches who don't seem to know what they're doing?

Great points! I totally agree. I should have been more specific about saying that Wally is losing his touch. He has done a fine job overall in getting quarterbacks but I cannot recall the last time the Lions had a good offensive line.

Speaking of loyalty, if Wally can put business ahead of loyalty with someone like Geroy Simon, then why not do the same thing with assistant coaches who don't seem to know what they're doing?

Yep I found that really odd too. He seems to be so ruthless with aging players like Clermont, Simon, Otis Floyd and many others, but with coaches he gives them so much rope.

Edited by almo89
  • Upvote 1

Darian Durant done for season and will require surgery on his arm, huge blow to Saskatchewan

I saw that TSN did a segment of virtual hand-wringing about the "poor Roughriders"...

Meanwhile, the Leos have had their starter for less than a single game this year.

• Upvote 1

Lulay 32 years old re injures shoulder,says he wants to come back this year if possible..highly unlikely imo. .http://www.bclions.com/page/bclions_live

makes me think of the Daniel's and Hansen's shoulders, hopefully Daniel can locate his scoring touch and I don't know if Hansen can keep up his torrid hitting style, hope he can.

BCLions.Com Staff

‎The BC Lions Football Club is pleased to announce that linebacker Boseko Lokombo has signed with the team.

Lokombo was the club’s third-round selection (21st) overall in the 2013 CFL Draft.

“We’re obviously very excited to have Bo agree to a contract,” said vice president of football operations and GM Wally Buono. “He’s played college football at a very high level, he’s extremely athletic and he can help us on both special teams and defence.”

Lokombo, a resident of Abbotsford, BC and graduate of W.J. Mouat High School was highly-recruited by the University of Oregon where he ultimately appeared in 40 games over four active seasons after red-shirting his first year in Eugene. The gifted linebacker racked up career numbers of 78 solo tackles, 12 tackles for a loss, four interceptions, two of which he returned for touchdowns and five sacks.

“Bo has tremendous upside and loads of potential,” said head coach Mike Benevides. “It was a calculated risk to take him in the draft and I’m thrilled that it’s worked out for our organization. It will be great to have him on the field and help us continue to improve as a team

Free game tonight oh yeah. Would have rather seen a win against the Riderps but hey, I'll take it.

Just not sure of what the remainder of the season holds...been such a strange year. Kind of like the season the Canucks had with so much uncertainty and confusion. So sad for Lulay...he was our guy and I wish him a speedy recovery...hopefully, he can return to the game. He seems determined to.

Go Lions Go!!

No offensive TD's on 8+ quarters now... :sadno:

I walk into BC Place tonight having seen this team lose 3, THREE times at home this season already. I have very little expectations for tonight's game. In fact, I have none.

Lions are currently sitting in the cross over spot with a game in hand on the Bombers, these next 2 games against them will be the season as far as I can see it. Win both and we are in great shape. We will have the season series and considering our road record, going through the East seems like a good way to do it.

Dear Lions,

Just win... DAMN IT!

Don't think I can sit through a 4th loss at home.

Not confident at all. Really don't like Glenn as a QB, even in an emergency.

I don't like the way he controls the offense. He looks unstable and unsure most of the time.

But, he somehow does get results more often than not. It's all we have. Running game & defense need to be spot on game in game out.

Amazing defence, even though Willy got hurt we still kept it to them and even Willy couldn't solve our defence. 9 points against a offence that put up 45 points in the last 2 weeks against Saskatchewan who are considered as the best defence or one of the best.

Elimimian with 82 tackles, next guy has 55. Bighill has 46 tackles tied for 5th but to be fair he is usually pass rushing or playing coverage instead of QB spy or man on man with RBs. Add that to a decent pass rush and an aggressive secondary that can tackle or play press man on man.

The secondary doesn't get enough praise, Marsh, one of the best corners in the CFL over the course of the last 5-6 years when he was learning under guys like Barron Miles. Ryan Phillips, veteran who is not thrown to that much along with Marsh because of the man to man coverage they play. Yell, aggressive corner who can tackle with the best of our CBs, young, already a threat to defence reminds me of a young Marsh. Cord Parks, don't even see him out there because no one throws the ball to him, was a top leader for INTs last season.

Offence was good, running game still doing great.

• Upvote 2

Amazing defence, even though Willy got hurt we still kept it to them and even Willy couldn't solve our defence. 9 points against a offence that put up 45 points in the last 2 weeks against Saskatchewan who are considered as the best defence or one of the best.

Elimimian with 82 tackles, next guy has 55. Bighill has 46 tackles tied for 5th but to be fair he is usually pass rushing or playing coverage instead of QB spy or man on man with RBs. Add that to a decent pass rush and an aggressive secondary that can tackle or play press man on man.

The secondary doesn't get enough praise, Marsh, one of the best corners in the CFL over the course of the last 5-6 years when he was learning under guys like Barron Miles. Ryan Phillips, veteran who is not thrown to that much along with Marsh because of the man to man coverage they play. Yell, aggressive corner who can tackle with the best of our CBs, young, already a threat to defence reminds me of a young Marsh. Cord Parks, don't even see him out there because no one throws the ball to him, was a top leader for INTs last season.

Offence was good, running game still doing great.

Great synopsis Plum .. bang on .

Just got home from the game...was a great energy in the building and it was so nice for them to get a good win. They were finding their groove by the end, Logan and Harris didn't stop their legs from moving and got extra yards on some plays that they should have been down on. Manny :) The defense was fired up, love it. Sol celebrates every tackle like it's the best thing ever...so great. Decided to buy my seat as a season ticket for next year.