The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What does it mean to be Canadian?

TimberWolf

The really problem with Canada developing its own culture is it is multicultural. Immigrants who are free to move here are also free to keep all of their beliefs from their home country. That means rather than everyone feeling Canadian, there might be huge communities of Ukrainians, Polish, Chinese, etc. who don't feel the need to assimilate with others.

There are only a few things that seem to unite us all, whether that be Hockey or "not American". I also believe there is a "make do with what we got" mentality, considering the rugged terrain and harsh climates as well as us never having an extremely well equipped military, yet still do not pull our punches in battle.

All I know is is that I was born here, I consider myself Canadian before Manitoban and love this country for all its positives and despite its negatives.

Been meaning to ask this and some thread on here (can't remember which one) reminded me.

Act like I am a guy from Ukuleleia and thinking of coming over or whatever and I asked you "What does it mean to be Canadian?" How do you personally answer a question like that?

I’m just going to say how I see it and I’m prepared to feel the backlash.

To start with being Canadian means we’re some of the most privileged people on the planet who have access to roads, healthcare, education and relatively safe streets. I don’t think about it regularly, often taken it for granted that by being born here I really won the lottery of life and should be thankful and try harder to give back to the community. We have freedoms, opportunities, and lives and that a majority of the people in the world will never have access to and that only people in relatively recent history could have dreamt of.

All that being put aside the cultural identity of Canada is non-existent at best. What unites us as a country? Is it our love of hockey or our contempt for the way our neighbours to the south do things? Anecdotally I find that immigrants always identify with the place they come from and never seem to think of themselves as Canadian first. My mother moved here when she was four years old, she is now in her mid-60s, and if you were to ask who she identifies with she would respond with the country of her birth, the Netherlands.

I can’t speak for all of Canada but it seems like we’re a very segregated society based on economic, religious, and ethnic lines. Just the other day I heard that in Abbotsford all the white people live in the east part of the city (near the mountain) while the East Indian community live to the west. Perhaps this is unavoidable but such segregation I think encourages people to remain to not identify themselves as Canadians.

At work I had a Filipino co-worker who I consider a friend refer to me as a “real Canadian”. I’m Caucasian but I’m also a first generation Canadian while at least one of his parents were born here.

We’re a country built on the backs of immigrants who watches American television and celebrates a foreign monarchy on our currency. We only seem to come together when Men’s Olympic Gold in hockey or a Stanley Cup are on the line.

Nice try bud lmao. So you hate our country but Love our sport ? our fresh clean water ? our cheap lumber? Our pure crude ? Never mind the fact when your pathetic warmongering, inbred, racist, government calls for help we come with no questions asked ? Get an education before you make yourself look like a complete waste of skin..... oh wait you spend all your money on guns to kill children around the world. Slaughtering innocent civilians in the name of capitalism, handing out guns, missiles and tanks to rebels to cause political unrest. Blowing up your own people for OIL even ? Yeah thats right we suck . We suck sooo hard at having the cleanest cities, water, and soil. We suck at helping nations around the world cope with the massive turmoil and unrest your nation causes on every other continent on this planet on a daily basis. Yeah we suck at trying to live clean peaceful respectful lives. The best thing of all this is you think we are all weak ? Come up to my town bro we can have a real discussion. Your pure unadulterated ignorance is what you do best ! Keep it up !

Without getting into politics or technicalities I will say only this:

It's is the greatest honour of my life to be a Canadian. For every person who has represented us internationally and done us proud, I aim to follow suit and do my very best to be a good Canadian. It is always in the back of my mind: how do I make sure that I'm being a good Canadian and a good citizen of the world.

Without getting into politics or technicalities I will say only this:

It's is the greatest honour of my life to be a Canadian. For every person who has represented us internationally and done us proud, I aim to follow suit and do my very best to be a good Canadian. It is always in the back of my mind: how do I make sure that I'm being a good Canadian and a good citizen of the world.

Archived