The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL.com's list of 10 Best Captains in NHL History

I feel like Doan just became a bit more expensive. Honestly, I like him and respect his work, but I wouldn't have him on a list that doesn't include Gretzky or Lemieux. How does Lidstrom end up ahead of Sakic? Lidstrom is a great player, but he literally inherited a mature, professional, well-oiled machine.

Personally, my favourite captains (being from my era) are Yzerman and Sakic. They did it right, year after year, and I can't picture either franchise without those guys standing at the front.

Yeah, Messier is certainly great, but he was also surrounded by a helluva supporting cast in both Edmonton and New York. With an immature squad, he didn't exactly pull Vancouver into contention.

The greatest player of all time Wayne Gretzky is not even in the top 10? This obviously shows the list is a joke.

He may have been soft spoken but he led on that ice in production that no one came close to.

He was like Henrik but a few notches above.

WHile MEssier was terrible in Vancouver his leadership in New York and Edmonton was what put him deserviingly as #1 on the list. Anyone remember when he gaureented a win for the Rangers in teh 94 finals, sadly for us Canuck fans he came through on his guareentee.

I do agree one of Stevens, Gretz or Lemieux deserves to be on the list.

WHile MEssier was terrible in Vancouver his leadership in New York and Edmonton was what put him deserviingly as #1 on the list.  Anyone remember when he gaureented a win for the Rangers in teh 94 finals, sadly for us Canuck fans he came through on his guareentee.  

I do agree one of Stevens, Gretz or Lemieux deserves to be on the list.

Archived