The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] NJ - Van

zombieksa

This trade is under the assumption that a 1st round pick and winger/prospects come back in a Lu trade*

To NJ:

Raymond

Schroeder

Lack

1st

To Van:

Henrique

Wedgewood

4th

Why NJ does this:

-NJ has the 27th ranked prospect pool in the NHL and just lost their captain and with it a lot of LW depth (a position Vancouver has plenty of.)

-Raymond is an affordable left winger for a financially struggling team who can pot in 20+ goals a season.

- Schroeder is one of Vancouver's better prospects and arguably our best center prospect. (to replace Henrique)

- With 2 aging goalies set to play the next 2 seasons before retirement, the acquisition of Lack is perfect timing as he has just enough time to grow into their next starting goaltender.

- a 1st in a very deep prospect pool

Why Vancouver does this:

Henrique is a fantastic center man who can both play in Kesler's place as well as handle 3rd line duties, eventually becoming a star player for the team when Henrik is retired.

Wedgewood, although not a primed as Lack for a starting position is slowly making his case for an NHL job, Signing the likes of Ellis for 2 years should give Wedgewood enough time to become a backup for Corey.

So in Conclusion

Henrique = Lack, Schroeder, 1st

Wedgewood, 4th = Raymond

Flame away. Getting really bored with this lockout.

So lemme get this straight. In order for NJ to improve on their 27th ranked prospect pool, they are to trade away their best young star who was great for them in the regular season and even better for them during the playoffs scoring 3 GWGs to get back a pending UFA and 2 guys who's never played a game in the NHL? Yah, great deal for NJ.

Yeah as much as I like him Adam's not going to get traded anytime soon, he could very well join w/ Zajac and Kovalchuk (Clarkson too?) up front to form the Devils' new core. Of course, with all their financial issues and multiple free agents next season they may not sign everyone but I think Adam would be one of if not the first guy to get re-signed. If not then just offer sheet that cash-strapped team, or sign Elias if he's not retained.

Henrique is their future up front, he's not going anywhere plain and simple.

For what you offered : Lack, Schroeder, 1st, Raymond

I would ask for : Jon Merrill, Stefan Matteau, Scott Wedgewood , and (maybe) a 3rd/4th

New Jersey gets the NHL ready goalie they need when Brodeur calls it quits ( Wedgewood is much farther away than Lack), they get offensive help for relatively cheap in Schroeder and Raymond after the Parise departure, and they get back a first round pick they lost in the Kovalchuk mishap. They do all of this without losing Larsson or Henrique which makes it more of a realistic deal.

Vancouver does this to solidify depth at every position while aquiring players that fit all their current needs. Jon Merrill is 6'3 210 pounds with both skill and a mean streak . Stefan Matteau is 6'2 210 pounds, and can basically be described the same as Jon Merrill except as a forward. Gaunce/Matteau would be a hell of a combo at center ice moving forward. Wedgewood fills the hole of trading Lack, with hope that he can develope the same as Lack has.

It's a bit of gamble for new jersey but if they have the balls to pull the trigger it could really pay off.. Henrique is no doubt the best player in the deal but they get 3 guys that have the potential to be very good players (taking the 1st into account). As frustrating as it is to watch him sometimes I still think under a new coach in the east Raymond could really turn things around and be a consistent 50 point player. Lack could very well be a star goalie too

If I was new jersey it would be hard to part with a stud like henrique. If times were better and the devils werent struggling financially so recently I would probably pull the trigger. I don't know their exact financial situation now after the cup run but I think losing a young star might make it harder to keep filling those seats and building on that playoff success

The Devils will not trade Henrique for a couple of reasons:

1) Travis Zajac is a pending UFA after this season (if there is one)

2) New Jersey has no real replacement for Henrique as the second line center, unless Josefson is more than ready for top six minutes

even if we get a first rounder and/or prospects for luongo, dealing lack at this point is a huge mistake, it causes a huge hole at the back up position, especially as, in my books, wedgewood isnt ready for full time back up duty.

Archived