The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Just saw this on twitter.

Samir Javer@samjam99

According to @darenmillard as well as Pierre McGuire on TEAM 1040, it will be Kadri and Bozak for Luongo…

Daren Millard@darenmillard

@SmithSports_AAH I have heard bozak and kadri and I think luongo is a leaf post lockout

Like Mack Attack said above, add Franson to the deal and I think its a very good return. But Franson is signed to a full year in Europe. He was RFA so he won't be coming back if the lockout ends and we have a shortened season.

If his Swedish team Brynas allows him to come back early then he could though. Perhaps there is some sort of verbal agreement that they'll let him return if he agrees to an NHL contract once lockout ends.

Just saw this on twitter.

Samir Javer@samjam99

According to @darenmillard as well as Pierre McGuire on TEAM 1040, it will be Kadri and Bozak for Luongo…

Daren Millard@darenmillard

@SmithSports_AAH I have heard bozak and kadri and I think luongo is a leaf post lockout

Like Mack Attack said above, add Franson to the deal and I think its a very good return. But Franson is signed to a full year in Europe. He was RFA so he won't be coming back if the lockout ends and we have a shortened season.

Yeah G, I don't think Gillis will get much more than that if he chooses to trade Lu right away after lockout ends. It will be a sprint to finish on a 42+ game season. If he really wants to get something good he will pbbly have to wait until next off season.

I think MG is on record saying he will keep both goalies if the right deal is not available.

IMO it a solid deal. Kadri is what he is, he's been playing great in the AHL lately. Had 2 goals last game, set a record with 5 assists couple of games ago. Bozak gives you a solid 3rd line C and Franson is a big body right shooting Dman. Bozak will be UFA but I think MG will be able to keep him after Bozak sees how good an organisation this is and the talent level of the team. Particularly if Canucks win the Cup. And if they do win the Cup and he leaves, its still worth it.

Teams who are deep down the middle usually have a good chance at the Cup. Sedin, Kesler, Bozak, Lappy, Manny, Kadri gives you a lot of depth. If someone gets hurt you move the other to C otherwise they can play wing.

The looks trade is a bit light for my tastes, even if it were drafted prior to the lockout. Assuming there is a season this season, getting Bozak for now only a few months (and then he could walk as a UFA) doesn't make for a great return.

Kadri has started to look pretty good with the Marlies, and considering the Leafs lack of quality centers, it suggests to me that Burke would want to keep him.

Kadri and whatever Gillis can get for Luongo isn't much of a return.

Franson would improve the deal somewhat, but even he might not want to stay around as a bottom-6 d-man.

Do you even know what my evaluation of Luongo is? I wanted to keep him, and trade the other guy. I think he's still very good, and he'll absolutely help whatever team he ends up on.

The issue is the external factors tied to this deal: his age, contract, NMC, and the fact that most teams are already heavily invested in goaltenders. Add that to the fact that Luongo's asked out, and other GMs see the position that Gillis is in, and none will want to overpay. This is not an ideal environment to be selling an asset like Luongo.

Very weak response on your part, as the guys that you had mentioned were mostly taken many years ago, and have offered ample evidence which confirms that they're not NHL-caliber players, unlike any of the TOR/VAN prospects discussed.

Compare apples with apples then...

Florida got an All Star power forward, a blue chip dman prospect and a starting goalie for Lu. But now you are saying after six years the Canucks shouldn't get anything. ???

Posters are suggesting secondary pieces, not even close to what the Canucks gave up.

Lu, Sauve, 3rd

For

Rielly or JVR

Dreaming...

To be frank, there's no better fit for Lu than the Vancouver Canucks. Next best fit would be the Chicago Blackhawks. Is Florida really a contender, if they were to get Luongo? Not in my opinion. Toronto? Probably not.

And OK, you think that the trade deadline is the magical time where someone will pay a pretty penny for Lu's services. That would have to be a first, as I don't recall many 10-year contracts being exchanged at that time.

Archived