The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Bieber fans vandalize Rick Rypien memorial

Alchemy Time

I don't get it? Didn't I see a bunch of other writing on there?

Edit: After reading and seeing the other pics I realize it wasn't even official. Even if was official, who cares if some 16 year old girl drew a nice heart on it with her name? It's not like the other mesages are more important or serve a greater purpose. It's a year later, maybe she was having a good time and thought Ryp would want to know. In my opinion it was rather drab anyway and would have looked better.

Also, a lot of Canuck fans barely know any players. It's not conceivable that she had no clue what it was about or did not realize the severity of the issues and the sentiment invovled. Maybe she was just happy to be near his memorial while she was going to the concert.

All in all the response on the first 5 pages of this thread were downright scary and a testement to why I don't twitter. Besides the completely degenerate, psychopathical, ruthless garbage spewing waste of time witch hunt this is an opportunity for those who care enough to do something.

I challenge one of those that took offence to this to contact the Canucks (so easy these days) and set up a real memorial for Rick, that can be shared, enjoyed, and even celebrated by all of Vancouver. I would do it but I live in some other dumb city, although I'd be glad to help. It would be great if young Simran could be contacted to redraw her heart as the first sign

maybe a different begining would be nice though.

Okay, I've kept quiet about this and watched it spiral out of control.

Yes, she made a mistake and her actions were thoughtless.

This current generation of adolescence children/teens is quite the piece of work. First the girl who wrote on the pillar but even more the people threatening her. Now, I know I'm making assumptions on the people's age that were threatening her but, there is no doubt in my mind they were for the most part around her age range. The ones that weren't are clearly misguided.

This is the YouTube-social media generation where theatening over the Internet is brushed off as no big deal well, NEWSFLASH it is a big deal. There are consequences. It reminds me of the comment section on YouTube videos that turn into a Internet tuff guy pissing contest.

It's pathetic! Anyway you cut it. What a shame....for all the good the Internet brings with instant knowledge, instant communication, there's an equal part dark side. Use this technology for the right reasons....PLEASE!

/RANT

Listen what she did was absolutly wrong but after seeing what bullying has JUST done with amanda todd do people not realize how there constant threats can really affect someone constantly trashing her doesnt fix the problem. If it bothers u so bad go down town and clean it off and stop trashing a young girl its pathedic and you should be ashamed of yourselves

Rick Rypien’s mom hurt by cyberbullying in his name: ‘Not what my son stood for’

The late NHL player and one-time Vancouver Canuck Rick Rypien wouldn’t stand for the cyberbullying that took place after Wednesday night’s Justin Bieber concert.

“The support that we’ve received and how good everybody has been to us and how much people love our son has meant the world to us, but I just don’t want it to get into anything like this,” Rypien’s mother, Shelley Crawford, said Friday from her Alberta home. “I just don’t like the idea of somebody being threatened and having my son’s name around that at all.”

Crawford fielded a number of phone calls from friends and family on Thursday letting her know about the outrage sparked on Twitter after Justin Bieber fan graffiti was found on a fan-made Rypien memorial pillar outside Rogers Arena.

One concert-goer attached her name to a fan message, which was tracked down on Twitter, resulting in a number of users directing abusive and aggressive comments at her like “die in a giant fire,” or, “Please hang yourself so I can destroy your grave.”

“I don’t want people making threats towards her — that’s not what my son stood for at all and that’s not what we stand for,” said Crawford. “We appreciate that everybody loves Ricky and how many people were obviously touched by my son, but at the same time Ricky was one of the most understanding people you’ve ever met.”

While Crawford admitted she wasn’t happy when she heard the memorial was defiled, she doesn’t think the young girl should have been delivered such a “harsh” lesson.

“My husband and I bare her no ill will and we don’t want anyone threatening her under my son’s name,” she

said.

Crawford believes the girl was young and “probably stuck in the moment.”

“I don’t believe she did it under any malice,” she said. “When you grow up, you make mistakes — maybe she doesn’t even know my son, Rick. There’s got to be some benefit of the doubt here.”

Rypien died by suicide in his Alberta home on Aug. 15 last year. He was 27.

Crawford and her husband can’t thank fans enough for their love and support over the past year, but she doesn’t want to see this young girl hurt for her mistake.

“I just know my son would not want anybody threatened for that. He just wouldn’t, and I don’t either,” she said. “That’s not what Ricky was about.”

lcahute@theprovince.com

twitter.com/larissacahute

© Copyright © The Province

This is where marleau_12 says, "Maybe those people were right and Rypien would be against those people making death threats..."

More importantly, hopefully all those here and elsewhere wishing her ill will can recognize how stupid it is to do so.

If I lived down there I'd paint the whole thing over in grey and leave my phone number and e-mail.

Let people target an adult instead of a scared 16 year old girl. Then send my taped messages and e-mail to the cops to press charges.

Archived