Can't wait for Merle next episode

#92 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

People in serious disasters don't all become rambo. Katrina was a very eye opening situation where, of the people that stayed in the city, a small percentage became entirely predatory (even attacking rescuers) while the majority were sheep to be herded, abused, and killed... The general populace, placed in an extreme and unfamiliar situation won't all convert into cold blooded killers and survival experts, most of them will be victims - whether that means eaten by zombies or abused/killed by killers, it's the far more realistic scenario.

Not to discount Katrina, but there is a difference between that type of disaster and a zombie apocolypse. A full 'end of the world' situation will result in more people becoming ruthless as there would be no hope otherwise.

As you said though - either people become ruthless or will be killed off. So by you saying it's a far more realistic situation, is contradicting, as Rick is alive BECAUSE he has turned into this and is protecting his herd, and there is a reason why the other people have been killed off.
Posted Image

#93 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

Not to discount Katrina, but there is a difference between that type of disaster and a zombie apocolypse. A full 'end of the world' situation will result in more people becoming ruthless as there would be no hope otherwise.

As you said though - either people become ruthless or will be killed off. So by you saying it's a far more realistic situation, is contradicting, as Rick is alive BECAUSE he has turned into this and is protecting his herd, and there is a reason why the other people have been killed off.

You can tell that to the people who were starving and being victimized during Katrina that - for them it was an end of the world situation.

You're missing the original point which was every internet superstar automatically decrees that he would just turn into a stone cold killer, killing people in cold blood, no problem. That isn't the case. If the person is already a violent criminal then yes, if the person is trained to kill when needed (military or police) then yes, but every plain old guy sitting at his computer screen, no.

Edited by Jester@wraiths.ca, 24 October 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#94 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

You can tell that to the people who were starving and being victimized during Katrina that - for them it was an end of the world situation.

:picard:

As I already said - I am not discounting what happened with Katrina. BUT it was not the end of the world, there was people trying to help them, save them, feed them, and get the out of the 'danger' zone.

How this differs from a zombie apocolypse is that THERE IS no way to get that type of help or support AS NO ONE ELSE IS ALIVE.

You're missing the original point which was every internet superstar automatically decrees that he would just turn into a stone cold killer, killing people in cold blood, no problem. That isn't the case. If the person is already a violent criminal then yes, if the person is trained to kill when needed (military or police) then yes, but every plain old guy sitting at his computer screen, no.

You are correct.

But you are also missing the point - that because most people wouldn't have the mentality, they would be dead. So given that, the majority of people alive WOULD have that cutthroat mentality, as that is the ONLY way to survive.

Which is WHAT I was arguing - that there would be MORE people (per capita) like this due to the situation.

I am not even going to touch the fact that you are arguing, that just because someone is a cop or military trained that they are trained to kill would make it easier to kill people.

Edited by Squeak, 24 October 2012 - 03:02 PM.

Posted Image

#95 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

As I already said - I am not discounting what happened with Katrina. BUT it was not the end of the world, there was people trying to help them, save them, feed them, and get the out of the 'danger' zone.

I am not even going to touch the fact that you are arguing, that just because someone is a cop or military trained that they are trained to kill would make it easier to kill people.

People were shooting at the rescuers that came to help people in Katrina...

Police officers and military personnel are more prepared for the possibility of having to take another human being's life than a typical civilian, it doesn't mean it's easy but it does make them more prepared than the internet warriors are.

#96 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

Killing zombies I'd have no problem with, killing other survivors to protect my group/family would definitely be harder to do. I'd still do it, because family comes first, but I'd certainly be scarred/upset by it, though If I had been through as much as rick had to that point, it probably would be a lot easier.

#97 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

People were shooting at the rescuers that came to help people in Katrina...

Police officers and military personnel are more prepared for the possibility of having to take another human being's life than a typical civilian, it doesn't mean it's easy but it does make them more prepared than the internet warriors are.

You are using one specific natural disaster, and one specific group of individuals, to generalize all people.

Don't recall hearing anything about that in Haiti or Japan.

(FYI - I am not arguing your point against 'internet' warriors - as I agree with you there)

Edited by Squeak, 24 October 2012 - 03:14 PM.

Posted Image

#98 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

You are using one specific natural disaster, and one specific group of individuals, to generalize all people.

Don't recall hearing anything about that in Haiti or Japan.

Haiti the widespread problem is violence and rape of women and girls...

http://www.cnn.com/2...rape/index.html

And while the Japanese culture does seem to be more respectful in general, they too have had sexual attacks against women/girls following local disasters

The few ruthless people do what they want while the majority would fall into the victim category.

Then we have the Congo where 1100 women are raped daily, and who knows how many are killed. That may as well be a post apocalyptic scenario, people are being killed just trying to harvest their crops. Huge numbers of victims dominated by the smaller numbers of cold blooded attackers being a daily event.

It is a hard switch to flip for most people, even when their life is on the line, and it's fight or flight, not everyone can go in the "fight" direction.

#99 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,369 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

NP-4815 whatever the hell your name is, use spoilers!
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#100 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Haiti the widespread problem is violence and rape of women and girls...

http://www.cnn.com/2...rape/index.html

And while the Japanese culture does seem to be more respectful in general, they too have had sexual attacks against women/girls following local disasters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxckhkYKy6c

The few ruthless people do what they want while the majority would fall into the victim category.

Then we have the Congo where 1100 women are raped daily, and who knows how many are killed. That may as well be a post apocalyptic scenario, people are being killed just trying to harvest their crops. Huge numbers of victims dominated by the smaller numbers of cold blooded attackers being a daily event.

It is a hard switch to flip for most people, even when their life is on the line, and it's fight or flight, not everyone can go in the "fight" direction.

I meant specifically shooting at the 'rescuers' - but again you used a generalization to categorize people. (which is exactly what I set-you-up to do, and you did)

This is argument is off topic.

Back to the Walking Dead.

Edited by Squeak, 24 October 2012 - 03:49 PM.

Posted Image

#101 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

I meant specifically shooting at the 'rescuers' - but again you used a generalization to categorize people. (which is exactly what I set-you-up to do, and you did)

This is argument is off topic.

Back to the Walking Dead.

Oh gosh, set up to prove the reality of our society being primarily people who would fail to adopt a kill or be killed mentality... and I illustrated it without much effort. You certainly showed me. When you get in a fight, do you decree victory by bleeding on the other guy's knuckles too?

But of course, this is about the walking dead, a show that has illustrated pretty well that not everyone can easily adjust to kill or be killed. The farm was an example of people surviving without becoming killers, until the group opened the flood gates on them, but it's more the exception than the rule. If the scum in the area had found them earlier, they'd probably have all been killed. Those that survive long enough start to adapt though, but it takes time - different lengths of time for everyone...

#102 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,572 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

Ohhhhhhhh boyyyyyyyy today's episode didn't even feel like it was the same show we've been watching for the past 2 seasons

It's going to get interesting!
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#103 kurtis

kurtis

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

The episode was alright tonight. The soldiers wouldn't off been surrounded by guys like that.... Kinda pissed me off.
Posted Image

#104 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

Ohhhhhhhh boyyyyyyyy today's episode didn't even feel like it was the same show we've been watching for the past 2 seasons

It's going to get interesting!

Definitely getting darker, eh? That was an interesting episode for sure. Good to see ol' Merle again. I'm also loving the introduction of all the new characters.
Posted Image

#105 CCF4E

CCF4E

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:31 PM

What was up with that ending :shock:
Posted Image

Ehrhoff isn't from europe....

#106 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,369 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:18 AM

An alright episode, far drop from the first two high intensity episodes. Merls going to make thinks interesting!
Next week looks promising thoughtN
Posted Image

#107 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

I think Merl is going to grow a heart jsut to see his brother....

#108 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

I thought Merle was the one stalking that lady in prison that was practicng c-section on a zombie. Turns out it's not Merle. I wonder who it is. New character that will be playing games with Rick and co.?
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#109 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

The episode was alright tonight. The soldiers wouldn't off been surrounded by guys like that.... Kinda pissed me off.

I agree. Too easy. It's not like they are on R & R. The soldiers are supposed to be in the lookout for god-damn zombies running around. C'mon. The producers should have at least included 2 fooders from the governor's men to be blown by the soldiers.

#110 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

I agree. Too easy. It's not like they are on R & R. The soldiers are supposed to be in the lookout for god-damn zombies running around. C'mon. The producers should have at least included 2 fooders from the governor's men to be blown by the soldiers.

I love hoe they have the worst aim imaginable. governor was just standing there and not one of them made him so much as flinch lol

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck The Sig lord

ezgif-714024022.gif

#111 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

I love hoe they have the worst aim imaginable. governor was just standing there and not one of them made him so much as flinch lol

they all got filled full of lead before they could react to what was going on. none of the soldiers got a shot off from what I remember.

#112 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,473 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

So did everyone get their wish.

1314_IProvo_1680x1050.jpg

#113 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

I........can't....................believe.........................it.

#114 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

was one of my favorite eps since season one I think

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck The Sig lord

ezgif-714024022.gif

#115 lee goren rulez69

lee goren rulez69

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

damn it, why did T-dog have to die :sadno:

#116 Bob Chen

Bob Chen

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

wow, very good episode, one of the best I must say... hope it just gets better!
Sig too big.

#117 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

Finally she's gone!!
GO Canucks GO

#118 Canuck_83

Canuck_83

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

Wow, I was not expecting that at all! Crazy episode. I even cried a little. :(

#119 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,369 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

WHY T-DOG!!! WHYYYY!!!!

What an episode!

Wow, I was not expecting that at all! Crazy episode. I even cried a little. :(

You should of seem poor TDog on Talking Dead, he had to hold back his tears several times, dang I'm going to miss him on the show!

Edited by PlayStation, 04 November 2012 - 11:04 PM.

Posted Image

#120 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

So did everyone get their wish.

Yes. And I have to admit, I'm not happy about it, now. Sniffle. :unsure:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.