The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Absolutely we have reason to be optimistic. Somebody, most likely NBC, has lit a fire under Bettman's ass to get a deal done.

There was also an article I read today where a spokesman from Molson was quoted as saying that after the lockout, they'll be taking the NHL to court to recoup financial losses. If they're successful I imagine other sponsors will try the same.

Absolutely we have reason to be optimistic. Somebody, most likely NBC, has lit a fire under Bettman's ass to get a deal done.

There was also an article I read today where a spokesman from Molson was quoted as saying that after the lockout, they'll be taking the NHL to court to recoup financial losses. If they're successful I imagine other sponsors will try the same.

Yeah sorry, took me a few minutes to find the article again, I was wrong on the going-to-court part. Here's the relevant quote:

"Whether it's people not actually physically going to the venues and consuming there, consuming in venues around the outlet before that, or indeed having NHL sort of parties at home, all of those occasions have disappeared off the map and you just can't replicate them," CEO Peter Swinburn said in an interview Wednesday.

The impact is more pronounced in Canada than in the United States and has particularly hurt sales of Coors Light and Molson Canadian.

"It's a national sport, the whole of Canada is glued to it one way or another so there's no real regional difference at the moment that we can detect."

Swinburn said that once the lockout ends, Molson Coors will seek financial compensation from the league over the negative impact that a lack of games has had on the hockey league sponsor.

"There will be some redress for us as a result of this. I can't quantify that and I don't know because I don't know the scale of how long the lockout is going to last."

I like the idea of an amnesty buyout, and I'm all for the players. I highly doubt the players will accept it, but this would easily create higher profit margins when millions aren't lost to guys like Redden, Gomez, Dipietro, even Bryz. You want to cut costs, cut the guys that are significantly under performing.

This was a fun article from The Score back in September, trying to predict which player each team would choose to sacrifice to the amnesty clause:

http://blogs.thescor...y-clause-exist/

For those curious, they have Ballard for the Canucks. Be sure to check out the entries for Phoenix and Winnipeg for some lulz.

Personally I don't think the Canucks would use it on any current player, but since they have money, I could see them taking a bad contract back from a team that has several in a big trade.

Yeah but they don't need to buyout Ballard. I'ts a bad contract on this team but still fully tradeable. There are teams desperate for defensemen.

Isn't Malhotra's contract up this year? I don't even know if he'll play again after that, I'm secretly hoping he retires and takes on a coaching or scouting role with the Canucks.

This was a fun article from The Score back in September, trying to predict which player each team would choose to sacrifice to the amnesty clause:

http://blogs.thescor...y-clause-exist/

For those curious, they have Ballard for the Canucks. Be sure to check out the entries for Phoenix and Winnipeg for some lulz.

Personally I don't think the Canucks would use it on any current player, but since they have money, I could see them taking a bad contract back from a team that has several in a big trade.

Archived