The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To shampoo or not shampoo?

Heretic

Don't ask me why I read this, I just did.

http://www.ndoherty.com/no-shampoo/

I like this statement:

"I believe this whole experiment is a great example of why it’s important to test our assumptions. We grow up doing things a certain way (like washing our hair with shampoo) and believing that’s just how it’s supposed to be done. But it’s important to stop and ask why every now and then."

Also reminds me of the legend of Henry Ford on hiring a new executive, he would take him out to lunch. When the food came along, Ford would watch his prospective closely. If he salted his food before tasting it, Ford wouldn't hire him.

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/salted.asp

In other words, do you shampoo your hair because that's what you have always done?

Anyone want to try not shampooing?

I have had the same bottle of shampoo in the shower for years now, I use it about 4-6 times a year, usually if I get something stuck in my hair, like car grease.

I don't used conditioner, deoderant, anti-perspirant, fabric softener or name brand flouride toothpaste.

my body soap is made by hippies on Salt Spring.

I wear natural fabric and my feet don't smell if I avoid buying shoes with that aweful "man-made " fabric inside. (man that stuff reeks and leather shoes are hard to find)

I too avoid the corporate monster which is difficult as I drive for a living and it also makes being a hockey fan somewhat ironic.

Still trying to figure out how to avoid dish and laundry soap .

I also had some fun trying the 100 mile diet a couple of years ago.

when i eat out i never salt my food unless absolutely necessary. I espescially never salt it before trying some, that's just stupid. as for no shampoo or soap, i'm not buying it... or rather, I AM buying it, i'm not buying the idea that i'll be ok with just water only showers.

Guest Gumballthechewy

not gonna lie

i shampoo once or twice a weak and havent used soap in 10 years

only used deodorant when im wearing one layer unless its black

i get complimented on how thick my hair is all the time

I use it every 2-3 days. Gotta stick to the same type because the others tend to dry my hair out.

Not using shampoo & conditioner would be disgusting. Washing your hair with just water (for females w/ long hair) leads to a weird smell. Kinda smells like your clothes after being out in the rain.

I hate soap and definitely wouldnt want soap scum on my body or scalp.

I can see why it wouldnt be much of a problem for guys to go without shampoo. It wouldnt work out for a female if she wanted her hair to smell nice.

I can't imagine not using soap/shampoo on a regular basis. I have long, thick unruly hair and no amount of just rinsing can convince me that my hair is clean. Plus my job is pretty dirty, I'm outside in the rain and mud often, and I handle live and dead animals, so if I just hosed myself off after that would be pretty gross.

I use less shampoo than I used to, I don't "repeat" unless I got eau de skunk or something on me. But I don't think I can be convinced to give it up entirely. Not while I have this job at least, maybe if I worked in an office or something.

Archived