The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Canucks: Anti-WHL?

King of the ES

That's still 25 more points than Ballard, while consuming far less cap dollars.

You're saying that you don't think Howden's going to make the NHL?

How is it looking better? Keith Ballard is not improving. If the Canucks had any confidence in him, they wouldn't have felt the urgency to rush out and roll the dice on a guy like Jason Garrison. If Ballard's on the team whenever the NHL comes back, he'll still be on the bottom pair, earning $4.25M.

Grabner's scored 54 goals in 2 years on Long Island, and is 25 years old. He also is amongst the fastest skaters in the league. It's unbelievable to me that people think we somehow "won" that deal. Grabner would be our #3 winger, IMO, ahead of both Booth & Raymond.

If your scouts had turned up recommendations like:

Prab Rai

Morgan Clark

Taylor Ellington

Dan Gendur

Michael Grabner

Evan Fuller

Matt Butcher

Andrew Sarauer

David Schulz

Over the previous 5 drafts out of the WHL/BCHL, would you keep going back to that well? I certainly wouldn't ...

Florida made a rash decision based on a poor training camp showing, and they paid for it.

It's not a question of "cracking", it's a question of organizations making mistakes - in this case, both Florida and Vancouver. Don't tell me that a guy who scored 35 goals on one NHL team isn't good enough to "crack" any other roster in the NHL.

I would like to see Delorme and the western guys fired but failing that, I think the OHL has been a sensible (and fruitful) place to concentrate our scouting efforts. And that goes for eastern high schools and tier 2 junior A leagues as well. Our eastern North American scouts under Mike Gillis have certainly been the only ones finding real players, I don't think there is any question about that.

But I do want to see more quality and quantity in the system, from where isn't important to me although it would be cool to have a Canucks alumni where everyone isn't over sixty, no one on the current roster lives here in the summer and that is a function of where they come from. I look at what we have in the pipeline and I see the basement of the league in our not to distant future.

The Canucks are too successful.

They are 'forced' to 'settle' for the 'mere' likes of Jensen or Gaunce late in the first round.

There is a way to break this cycle.

If the Canucks could suck like the Leafs, they could draft WHL supastar defensemen like Morgan Rielly.

Conclusion: the Canucks management must be WHL hating idiots, because they are too successful to draft early.

However, they make up for it by going out and signing, for hometown discounts, proven NHL top four blueliners from BC - guys named Hamhius and Garrison (players you keep running down, ironically, King)

The Canucks are too successful.

They are 'forced' to 'settle' for the 'mere' likes of Jensen or Gaunce late in the first round.

There is a way to break this cycle.

If the Canucks could suck like the Leafs, they could draft WHL supastar defensemen like Morgan Rielly.

Conclusion: the Canucks management must be WHL hating idiots, because they are too successful to draft early.

"Have done nothing"? I guess you forgot that he had 11 points in 20 games with us the year before? Forgot that his line, with Raymond & Kesler, were making some serious noise around the league?

As for your "Captain Hindsight" comment, I guess GMs should never be held accountable for their decisions, than? Heck, Dave Nonis drafting Pat White over Dave Perron wasn't a mistake, because that's "hindsight"; is that what you're saying?

They were "making serious noise" around the league? You're confusing CDC's "speed kills" fad with the rest of the league. Grabner only played well in 2 games, which was against Toronto (2nd worst team in the league that year) and Anaheim and he only got called up because Daniel, and later, Samuelsson, were out with injuries.

Nope, that line was more than a fad. They were making noise. Grabner was routinely one of the more noticeable players on the team. The performance against Anaheim was unbelievable.

For context, Zack Kassian had 1 goal and 3 points in 17 games played after being acquired, and look at the hype surrounding him. Grabner's 5 and 11 in 20 games was impressive, and an obvious signal that he play at the top-six NHL level.

Samuelsson dominated against Los Angeles, yes. Not sure about the other two. And yes, Grabner only had 1 point in the playoffs. But was he even playing on the top-six? I don't believe so, as (like you said) Samuelsson had returned from injury.

If you want to trade Grabner, fine. Just don't trade him along with your 1st round pick, and another young versatile forward, for a 3rd-pairing defenceman with a big contract (who was deemed so utterly useless in the playoffs that the team was prepared to fly in Nolan Baumgartner while vacationing in Malibu to prevent Ballard from playing).

And yes, obviously, in hindsight, the smart move would've been to keep Grabner and move Raymond.

So I guess that you also think that the Alex Mallett pick from 2012 was stupid, as well?

I have complained about the lack of WHL players in the past, this season I didn't because I like the Mallet pick alot (saw him play for Wolves tonight and I liked what he brought in limited minutes).

I would like seeing some WHL kids drafted in the future though, I think theres alot of talent out here.

Rewarding unqualified alumni?

That's not a recipe for success. If we're gonna dump a bunch of money into scouting and development, we better make sure we have top scouts.

He could be qualified, I'm not really too familiar with his work. I hope it's not just a case of handing out jobs to ex-players as a favor.

Where did I say that it had to be the 1st round? They haven't drafted any WHL players period, in the last 4 drafts. Hard to imagine that that's a coincidence, when they've drafted 4 OHLers and 6 QMJHLers in the equivalent time period.

I'm not running down Hamhuis. Only ever said that he's not as good as Phaneuf.

Garrison, yes, I predict that he'll be a flop.

• 4 weeks later...

1. How is it looking better? Keith Ballard is not improving. If the Canucks had any confidence in him, they wouldn't have felt the urgency to rush out and roll the dice on a guy like Jason Garrison. If Ballard's on the team whenever the NHL comes back, he'll still be on the bottom pair, earning $4.25M.

2. That's still 25 more points than Ballard, while consuming far less cap dollars.

Archived