The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

michael douglas is so just so smarmy, i have a hard time watching his movies, so i think i may pass on The Game

although i recently re-watched Traffic (twice!) and absolutely looooved it. i loved it when it came out, and i was a bit afraid it wouldn't hold up. but it totally does.

one of my favourites

Edited by GLASSJAW

michael douglas is so just so smarmy, i have a hard time watching his movies, so i think i may pass on The Game

although i recently re-watched Traffic (twice!) and absolutely looooved it. i loved it when it came out, and i was a bit afraid it wouldn't hold up. but it totally does.

one of my favourites

I think I can speak for everyone who's seen The Game and say that you absolutely should not pass on it.

Frozen - 9/10

That's not just a generic high rating. I genuinely loved the movie. Probably the best animated movie I've seen since Tangled. I may just have enjoyed it better.

Great animation. Great music. Well told story. It really balanced the tensions of heart break and heart warmingness well for a kids movie. Particularly the manner in which it reached its conclusion. But as with many movies like this, you have to try and ignore the overbearing sidekicks. I like a lot of Disney side characters, but I reeeeeeaaaallllly did not like the snowman Olaf in this movie.

In early 2010, Dreamworks and Pixar reached a high point when they released How to Train Your Dragon, and Toy Story 3 respectively. But ever since mid summer that year, and the following release of Tangled, it has been pretty much Disney at the top in terms of quality. I mean Wreck it Ralph was not the absolute greatest movie (though I enjoyed it quite a bit), but all the competition that has been around in these passing years has been mediocre at best.

They've managed to pretty much take back the crown of the animated kingdom, by keeping to quality while those around have been getting sloppier. These new Disney movies are not fundamentally brilliant pictures, but as far as animated films go, they are fun, and in the end, seem to be doing a lot more than the other ones around them with their narratives.

All that said though, I really need to go watch The Wind Rises right away. I know it was just released, but I'm surprised I haven't made a point to go watch it yet. I didn't like Ponyo at all, but I cannot miss the (supposedly) last Miyazaki move. Forget the category of animated films, Spirited away is my favourite movie of all time in general.

Movie 43 - Not rating.

It was on Netflix and I thought, "I have heard nothing but awful things, why not see how bad it is."

I made it through the first skit and a half, then turned it off. This is what soldiers should be using for torture, not water-boarding.

Frozen - 9/10

That's not just a generic high rating. I genuinely loved the movie. Probably the best animated movie I've seen since Tangled. I may just have enjoyed it better.

Great animation. Great music. Well told story. It really balanced the tensions of heart break and heart warmingness well for a kids movie. Particularly the manner in which it reached its conclusion. But as with many movies like this, you have to try and ignore the overbearing sidekicks. I like a lot of Disney side characters, but I reeeeeeaaaallllly did not like the snowman Olaf in this movie.

In early 2010, Dreamworks and Pixar reached a high point when they released How to Train Your Dragon, and Toy Story 3 respectively. But ever since mid summer that year, and the following release of Tangled, it has been pretty much Disney at the top in terms of quality. I mean Wreck it Ralph was not the absolute greatest movie (though I enjoyed it quite a bit), but all the competition that has been around in these passing years has been mediocre at best.

They've managed to pretty much take back the crown of the animated kingdom, by keeping to quality while those around have been getting sloppier. These new Disney movies are not fundamentally brilliant pictures, but as far as animated films go, they are fun, and in the end, seem to be doing a lot more than the other ones around them with their narratives.

All that said though, I really need to go watch The Wind Rises right away. I know it was just released, but I'm surprised I haven't made a point to go watch it yet. I didn't like Ponyo at all, but I cannot miss the (supposedly) last Miyazaki move. Forget the category of animated films, Spirited away is my favourite movie of all time in general.

I thought Frozen was way better than Tangled, myself. But I didn't care much for the music in Frozen, it wasn't really "fun" for me (like the best Disney music is), it was straight up pop music

Friend of mine saw the Miyazaki movie last night and wasn't crazy about it at all. Still, I'm interested in seeing it, despite not being a big Miyazaki fan at all (Kiki's Delivery Service is one of my favourites, though).

And speaking of animated movies... I FINALLY got around to seeing The Incredibles

Thought it was super well done and charming and cute. maybe 8.5/10. Ratatouille is still my favourite.

one of my favourites

There are countless movies that I refuse to watch simply because I liked them at the time but am now afraid that watching it again would ruin the experience. I have put off re-watching Tombstone, one of my favorite Westerns, simply because I am worried it will be too cheesy for me to enjoy anymore.

There are some movies that have the opposite effect. For example, watching Forrest Gump as a young kid and not getting all the references dropped into the movie. Re-watching it years later and actually getting all the not-at-all subtle references was something I quite enjoyed.

I have put off re-watching Tombstone, one of my favorite Westerns, simply because I am worried it will be too cheesy for me to enjoy anymore.

LOVE Tombstone. Kilmer had so many great lines in that one ::D

"I have not yet begun to defile myself."

after Deadwood, all westerns seem tame and cheesy for me. Even watched Unforgiven recently and thought to myself "...that's it?"

Deadwood has literally ruined the genre by towering above it

The 3:10 to Yuma remake was pretty sweet.

The 3:10 to Yuma remake was pretty sweet.

yeah, i guess. i mean i wouldn't turn it off on a rainy sunday or something. but it's very clean, very tame, very "movie-like." literally the antithesis of what I consider to be Deadwood's strengths

but i did enjoy it. of all genres (horror, sci fi, fantasy, etc.), the western is probably my favourite. i even enjoy the kinda bad ones, if not for anything other than the character types and landscape and all that

but i did enjoy it. of all genres (horror, sci fi, fantasy, etc.), the western is probably my favourite. i even enjoy the kinda bad ones, if not for anything other than the character types and landscape and all that

Have you ever watched El Topo? I guess it'd be described as a psychedelic western. I only saw it once, very weird but very good. Apparently it was John Lennon's favorite movie.

Have you ever watched El Topo? I guess it'd be described as a psychedelic western. I only saw it once, very weird but very good. Apparently it was John Lennon's favorite movie.

never even heard of it, but after a bit of reading, all i have to say is good god. sounds awful and great at the same time. definitely added to my list