The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

So I rewatched The Game tonight. Almost as good as I remembered it. A little dated, and Sean Penn was obviously still struggling to enter that second phase of his career. But I love the paranoid thriller genre, when it's done right it brings back memories of classic Hitchcock. Guess I'd say 8/10.

that's the one

Just curious as it's an older flick. Was wondering if their was something new I wasn't aware of. You hadn't seen before?

Yeah, after reading the book the film was a bit "meh". From what I remember, it certainly has it's moments and almost gets your hopes up at times only to sink back down to mediocrity. It was actually kind of frustrating to watch...like it was directed or screen adapted by two different people.

Edited by J.R.

Just curious as it's an older flick. Was wondering if their was something new I wasn't aware of. You hadn't seen before?

Yeah, after reading the book the film was a bit "meh". From what I remember, it certainly has it's moments and almost gets your hopes up at times only to sink back down to mediocrity. It was actually kind of frustrating to watch...like it was directed or screen adapted by two different people.

i just finished the book and thought it was pretty mediocre, myself. Not at all engaging, and full of weird elements that just left me confused. I mean, i liked the 'message' of coexistence (if that's what you want to call it), but as an actual piece of fiction, i thought it was pretty much typical dollar-bin paperback stuff

i am really not at all into sci fi, so that doesn't help. but the movie was SOOOO obviously directed by Zemeckis, who had just finished up Forrest Gump, and you can totally see Gump leftovers scattered throughout this. From the historical "moments" that look so dated and bad, to the soft piano music, which seemed hilariously out of place. It's THE EXACT same tinkling piano music that played during Gump scenes of him sitting on the bench. So funny and out of place.

Just finished watching 12 Years A Slave. I was quite underwhelmed with the beginning, especially with the acting of some of the ancillary characters (Paul Giamatti, Michael Williams). Thirty-minutes into it and I couldn't believe that this was an academy-award worthy picture...........then.........enter Michael Fassbender and Lupita Nyong'o. The last half of that movie was very, very good.

As the movie went, so did Chiwetel Ejiofor IMO; a little slow (and unbelievable) at the start but really picked up steam, especially when faced with Fassbender's character. His interactions with Dano and Cumberbatch weren't all that intriguing to me; the performances were good, just not great/academy worthy IMO.

All in all, I really enjoyed this movie (although admittedly the beginning did give me a scare). 8/10.

what do you mean it was unbelievable? what seemed unbelievable about it to you?

the last word i would use to describe that movie is slow! i thought it was totally wrenching from start to finish

It didn't feel/seem authentic as there was a banality to the dialogue that rang false (Paul Giamatti's character in particular, I was not impressed); it created a slow moving start IMO. There were more than a few scenes in the beginning that gave me this impression. It certainly did pick up later on (thanks to Dano and Cumberbatch) but this movie did not become great in my eyes until Michael Fassbender graced the screen.

Killing Them Softly - 7/10

Didn't know much about it before I went in. Solid acting, decent writing, nice rant at the end by Pitt. Enjoyable.

that movie received a LOT of hate when it came out, especially here on CDC. but i actually really enjoyed it. and i agree, that Pitt rant is grade A

manhattan murder mystery - 9/10

can't believe i've waited so long to see this. always get it confused with another, so i pass on it.

annie hall was originally written to be about murder, but was edited/cut to be what it is. manhattan murder mystery is woody's sort of nod to what Annie Hall may have been

really funny, if you're into woody's humour and thought process, and i very much am. definitely in my top 5 of his