The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon (3D)- 7.5/10

Just as good as the first, but with a way more epic ending. If only the movie didn't drop in the middle for a little bit, it would have been way better.

Dallas Buyers Club- 8.5/10

What a crazy story, great film. Great acting by everyone, Matt and Jared looked dangerously skinny.

Curious to see this one, how is it in terms of atmosphere and scares? And I don't understand what eco-horror is .

Ecological horror (don't blame me, that's just how it was described when I first heard of it).

Uh, it's not a typical scary horror movie but it got one good solid jump out of me, and there's another long drawn out scene that felt lifted right out of some of the classic 70s horror movies.

Saving Mr. Banks - 6.5/10

Was more interesting than I expected, and Emma was in top form. But I found it dragged a bit in places, and in others character arcs were sudden and abrupt.

I probably would have enjoyed it more if I was fond of Mary Poppins - but there isn't much nostalgia there for me.

Starship Troopers - 9/10

I wasted 17 years of my life not watching this movie. I already want to see it again.

This film has no business to be in anyones top 5 favourite films, but it is in mine. I have seen Starship Troopers more times than I can count. Not sure if you watched the DVD/Blu-Ray, but the commentary on it is fantastic. Once you find out the movie is about what the world would look like in the future had the Nazi's won WWII, you enjoy it far more. First off, it takes places on earth in Buenos Aires and all the people are white (Johnny Rico w/ blonde hair and blue eyes). Then, after all is said and done and you actually think about it, the Bugs aren't even the bad "guys" in the film. The humans are the ones you should be rooting against. I love this film.

Edited by Monty

This film has no business to be in anyones top 5 favourite films, but it is in mine. I have seen Starship Troopers more times than I can count. Not sure if you watched the DVD/Blu-Ray, but the commentary on it is fantastic. Once you find out the movie is about what the world would look like in the future had the Nazi's won WWII, you enjoy it far more. First off, it takes places on earth in Buenos Aires and all the people are white (Johnny Rico w/ blonde hair and blue eyes). Then, after all is said and done and you actually think about it, the Bugs aren't even the bad "guys" in the film. The humans are the ones you should be rooting against. I love this film.

It's in my top 10, and i get into arguments about it all the time. It's so clearly satire. I don't see how critics dismissed it as a dumb action movie. And wow do those special effects hold up.

New Jack City - 7.5/10

Worth revisiting. At times cheesy, absurd, dated but it's also a nice time capsule to the end of the Reagan era and the early results of the war on drugs. Bonus: it's got Public Enemy and Boyz II Men music interludes.

Has a place up there with Clockers and Homicide laying the groundwork for The Wire.

Edited by The Bookie

Finally got around to watching After Earth. One of the few times I can say I didn't like Will Smith in a movie, but I thought his kid was okay.

I liked the premise, but some of the action sequences were silly, especially the one with the giant Eagle (or whatever it was) I might have given it a 6/10, but anything by M Night Shamalama Dingdong gets an automatic -1 from me, just to start.

5/10

BTW: I love Starship Troopers as well. "Do you want to live forever!"

About Time - 4.5/10

The 7.8 on IMDB fooled me. It had brief glimpses of good ideas, but no direction or coherent goal.

What was it about? Other than an awkward premise lazily tossed up with virtually no explanation?

And casting Rachel McAdams in another movie where her love interest can travel through time? C'mon...that's just lazy...

The Beaver - 6/10

Aside from the last 15-20 minutes, The Beaver was a good watch. The last little bit dragged it down, as did the the writing/story involving Anton Yelchin and Jennifer Lawrence's parts, but Mel Gibson was absolutely solid, as usual.

Say what you will about Mel Gibson, but the guy does have talent on screen.