The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I disagree. For all of Burke's errors on Toronto, he's also made some very good trades. Both the Phaneuf and the Lupul/Gardiner acquisitions were totally lop-sided. Getting Colborne, a 1st, and a 2nd for Kaberle was also robbery. Quietly, he's acquired quite a lot of quality prospects.

Selling the farm to reach the playoffs once or twice would be seriously bad move. I'm not saying that he's not interested, but to think that he's in a position where he "needs to overpay" for a goalie that's obviously on his way out is foolish.

Playing with three #1 overall guys, and Schultz who is being reported as the best non NHL prospect in the world right now? I bet he goes laughing!

Only 3 of those teams are realistic destinations for Luongo.

Doubt he's willing to waive his no trade to go to Edmonton or Columbus.

The problem with Luongo is the problem that we will have with Schneider. Our D isn't built to be pinned in their zone. They are offensive minded, and have given up on defensive play. We are a breakout, D pinching team. Our D aren't the fastest or most mobile. And they aren't tough. When we get pinned in our zone, other teams started to hammer shots down low on Luongo. Something that every team does on good goalies. And our D is not suited to do this. They lose the rebound battles. Chicago and Boston ate Luongo alive with the same strategy more or less. And it's likely the same thing will apply to Schneider.

Teams take advantage of our more offensive minded D, and the lack of size and grit to put them off of crowding in front. Unless THAT changes, it's going to be amusing people going DERPDERP WHAT HAPPENED TO SCHNEIDER DERPDERP.

Our defense is not goalie friendly. The best goalies in the league right now? Bostom collapses on Thomas and clears the front. Nashville collapses on Rinne. LA collapses on Quick. Boston has Chara and Seidenberg. Nashville has Weber and had Suter. Chicago had Seabrook and Keith to protect their goalies.

Remember when people LOVED Mason and Leclaire when they were on CBJ and Hitchcock was there? Well.. Hitchcock left, and both of them suck now. He went up to St. Louis. Surprise. Elliot and Halak are godly duo. But wait.. Halak was good in Montreal too on that playoff run.. but remember what Montreal did? They collapsed like frack and tried to block every shot ever that run.

Remember the first year Luongo was here? Canucks collapsed and played like the trap, but we couldn't score for crap.. but what happened? Luongo was nominated for the vezina and the HART TROPHY. Something which a lot of people thought he should've won.

(I still remember the first time Luongo went down with that injury for like a quarter of a season and people thought Sanford and Schneider would be fine.. then we went like .250 hockey the whole time. Lol.)

This is all highlighted and magnified by the simple fact that Canucks have a crapty playoff offense and we end up having to play all the teams that grind it out and battle in front.. battles that we generally lose.

I don't think it matters personally if we keep Schneider or Luongo, they haven't been the problem. I'm not holding my breathe for this season on top of that, because we don't have Kesler and he won't be healthy, and Edler is coming off back surgery and Garrison is a question mark who has to gel with the system. We are prepped for a pretty awful start offensively and defensively.

Burkie did not get his Luongo clause in the new CBA lol.

Instead, the Canucks got a favourable deal - two cap-free buyouts, a better than speculated salary cap - and a shortened race to the fiinish with little room for suspect goaltending.

The price for Luongo certainly didn't drop.

I wouldn't be so sure that he'd be out of a job over not landing Roberto Luongo. Who would they replace him with? BB is a tenured GM that has won a Cup and is as well-respected as any other GM in the league.

And again, it's very reasonable for them to at least be willing to give James Reimer another shot. He was excellent for them in 2011.

I don't know how Gillis is in any position to take advantage of anyone's situation. Me saying "Luongo is on his way out" includes the possibility of waivers. I just don't think that there are an abundance of buyers.

It's not a published fact but widely prolimated that he will indeed lose his job if they don't make the playoffs. Apparently he almost lost it this year and they are giving him one more shot.

Believe it or not the Leafs are getting tired of being the laughing stock of Canada.

You said he'd lose his job if they don't make the playoffs. I'm skeptical that he's under that sort of pressure.

There are plenty of reasons for MG to deal with this situation very quickly:

-Luongo's value will not rise being Schneider's backup

-Luongo's presence, looking over the shoulder, will make it harder for Schneider to perform

-Luongo could outshine Schneider, making it look stupid for us to be interested in trading Luongo

-Luongo could just play not very good at all, which will hurt his value

Way too much risk in keeping that guy around. I don't think waivers is a route that they'll need to take either. But if there are no buyers...

Archived