42 replies to this topic

#1 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

A woman brought in her nine month old baby to Earls Restaurant. There were no hi chairs available, so she is crying discrimination. Earls claim it is an adult restaurant, so there will be no change in their policy of no hi chairs.

http://www.leaderpos...7008/story.html

Edited by DonLever, 09 January 2013 - 12:52 AM.

#2 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Lul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

Although it would be nice for them to have these services I don't think it is meant to be discriminating in any way, lol

Her 15 seconds of fame will be over quickly

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

CDC STHS Hockey League Commissioner

CDC STHS Tampa Bay Lightning

#3 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

Don't bring you 9 month old the the restaurant. You're going to irritate other people as soon as it starts crying.

I'm prepared for your hate.

FWYIerW.png

#4 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

The sad thing is, stuff like this doesn't surprise me any more.

Next thing you know people will take kids to high-end restaurants and say its discrimination that they don't have chicken strips and chocolate milk on the menu.

#5 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

A woman brought in her nine month old baby to Earls Restaurant. There were no hi chairs available, so she is crying discrimination. Earls claim it is an adult restaurant, so there will be no change in their policy of no hi chairs.

http://www.leaderpos...7008/story.html

She is mistaken - it is not discrimination, at least not in the legal sense.

Per the BC Human Rights Code:

1 In this Code:

"age" means an age of 19 years or more;

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#6 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

I used to work at Earls in Langley a long time ago, there is nothing 'adult' about that place. They actually seem to be quite adept at serving underage girls drinks, they've had their liquor license revoked several times.

#7 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

I used to work at Earls in Langley a long time ago, there is nothing 'adult' about that place. They actually seem to be quite adept at serving underage girls drinks, they've had their liquor license revoked several times.

Well at least they managed not to serve this 9 month old a Whiskey Sour, it seems Earls can do some things correctly.

FWYIerW.png

#8 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

I don't know if I'd want my chair to say Hi to me.

14diqh3.jpg
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
"There is a time and place for everything but not now."

http://forum.canucks...a-bros-game-on/

#9 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

What a stupid complaint :picard:
If Earls doesn't want their restaurant to be filled with kids screaming like a Red Robins or something, then what's wrong with that?
Earls doesn't have hi-chairs, go to a restaurant that does. Problem solved.

Jagermeister.jpg

#10 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

Your kid is nine months old. Leave it with a sitter or take it to McDonalds

/=S=/

#11 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

What a stupid complaint :picard:
If Earls doesn't want their restaurant to be filled with kids screaming like a Red Robins or something, then what's wrong with that?
Earls doesn't have hi-chairs, go to a restaurant that does. Problem solved.

Or bring their own portable high chair as the story notes:

According to (Earls spokeswoman Cate) Simpson, Earls suggests parents call ahead or bring their own portable high chairs.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#12 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

“It just makes no sense to me ... we are paying customers just like everyone else and we have a right to go to the restaurant with or without the baby,” he said.

I love how this niche of idiots make service about their rights when it's simply not getting their way. You have a "right" to go elsewhere if the service does not cater to you.

#13 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

I love how this niche of idiots make service about their rights when it's simply not getting their way. You have a "right" to go elsewhere if the service does not cater to you.

There are a number of grounds upon which a business open to the public such as Earl's may not discriminate - this is not one of them as age discrimination only can occur at 19 years of age or older.

8 (1) A person must not, without a bona fide and reasonable justification,

(a) deny to a person or class of persons any accommodation, service or facility customarily available to the public, or

(b) discriminate against a person or class of persons regarding any accommodation, service or facility customarily available to the public

because of the race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation or age of that person or class of persons.

#14 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

Lounges like that are not kids restaurants, nobody wants to hear your screaming kid while they're eating dinner or having a drink. take him to chuck e cheese and stop wasting everyone's time

#15 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,561 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

There are a number of grounds upon which a business open to the public such as Earl's may not discriminate - this is not one of them as age discrimination only can occur at 19 years of age or older.

8 (1) A person must not, without a bona fide and reasonable justification,

(a) deny to a person or class of persons any accommodation, service or facility customarily available to the public, or

( B) discriminate against a person or class of persons regarding any accommodation, service or facility customarily available to the public

because of the race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation or age of that person or class of persons.

Glad there's still some sanity remaining in society. Fully support Earls right and any restaurant that chooses to not cater to infants.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#16 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

My biggest concern is do that many people really go to Earls? .. eewwwww!!!!!!!

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#17 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

I'd bet that fewer sit-down restaurants have high chairs compared to those that don't. They didn't teach that in prenatal now did they?
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#18 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

I came here to degrade Earl's, but now I see that job's taken.

“How many customers are they gaining by not having high chairs?,” asked Brander. “As opposed to how many are they going to lose based on that?”

How many customers will be turned away by screaming babies? I'm sure Earl's needs business advice from these morons.

I thought No Hi were some crazy Chinese chairs that help kids with posture when I read the thread title. :picard:

Edited by Lockout Casualty, 09 January 2013 - 07:47 AM.

"It is the Parliament that’s supposed to run the country, not just the largest party and the single leader of that party. I guess that’s a criticism that I've had and that we've had and that most Canadians have had for a long, long time.”

- Steven Harper, circa 2004

#19 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,026 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

I bet there's a legal angle on this as well. If you supply high-chairs, if they break, or aren't maintained I bet a parent would sue. So by not providing them you're putting the onus on the customer to provide their own.

Sounds cold. But businesses these days are cold, unfeeling, and get away with stuff that individuals would never get away with.

Besides, as the other poster put it. Earl's....ewwwww.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#20 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

I came here to degrade Earl's, but now I see that job's taken.

I was neither degrading nor denigrating Earl's .. I just canna see how that chain stays in business .. I have been to 3 Earl's in 3 different cities and found all 3 to be too loud, marginal service and poor food .. why any parent with a young child would want to take a child into that environment is beyond me ..

Moxie's and Earl's seem designed for "yuppie" type folk who think the louder they talk, the more important their words must be .. I would rather buy a can of pork & beans and eat em cold on the sidewalk than frequent such places ..

For decent food and an adult atmosphere I prefer a bar, and I dinna drink alcohol ..

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#21 VoiceOfReason_

VoiceOfReason_

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

Props to Earls for not wanting these annoying, screaming, crying shi***ng machines in the restaurant.

It's ridiculous that paying patrons everywhere have to deal with irrational parents who think babies should be with them in public places. Just like people under the age of 19 can't go to bars, toddlers under the age of 3 shouldn't be allowed in restaurants.

Add airplanes to thatas well. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate children. I hate the parents that make the strangers around them suffer even more.

Edited by VoiceOfReason_, 09 January 2013 - 08:34 AM.

#22 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

I was neither degrading nor denigrating Earl's .. I just canna see how that chain stays in business .. I have been to 3 Earl's in 3 different cities and found all 3 to be too loud, marginal service and poor food .. why any parent with a young child would want to take a child into that environment is beyond me ..

Moxie's and Earl's seem designed for "yuppie" type folk who think the louder they talk, the more important their words must be .. I would rather buy a can of pork & beans and eat em cold on the sidewalk than frequent such places ..

For decent food and an adult atmosphere I prefer a bar, and I dinna drink alcohol ..

Yup. Every time a poor experience for me as well.

"It is the Parliament that’s supposed to run the country, not just the largest party and the single leader of that party. I guess that’s a criticism that I've had and that we've had and that most Canadians have had for a long, long time.”

- Steven Harper, circa 2004

#23 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Props to Earls for not wanting these annoying, screaming, crying shi***ng machines in the restaurant.

It's ridiculous that paying patrons everywhere have to deal with irrational parents who think babies should be with them in public places. Just like people under the age of 19 can't go to bars, toddlers under the age of 3 shouldn't be allowed in restaurants.

Add airplanes to thatas well. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate children. I hate the parents that make the strangers around them suffer even more.

Geez .. you hardly sound like the "voice of reason" when it comes to children .. how do your parents feel about you? ..

#24 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,103 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

Geez .. you hardly sound like the "voice of reason" when it comes to children .. how do your parents feel about you? ..

Seriously, call me up when you have kids and theyare screaming and throwing a fit so I can come tell you how much I hate them.

Also, earls is way too expensive for the generic crap they serve.

#25 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,689 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Yeah I don't get it. Bad drinks, ok food some of the time, overly loud environment.

If the price was cut in half it might be worth it in comparison to other chains but you'd just be paying half price for meh food and a bunch of waitresses who's daddy issues can likely be judged on how high their dress is. Had better food at the peelers tbh.

(just a note kids...never eat at the peelers.)

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 09 January 2013 - 09:27 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#26 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,689 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

I know right because the world is YOUR oyster and we're all just livin it it right amirightguys right?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Seriously, call me up when you have kids and theyare screaming and throwing a fit so I can come tell you how much I hate them.

Also, earls is way too expensive for the generic crap they serve.

If they are screaming and throwing a fit at your place that's your problem.

If you can't get them to behave enough to bring out in public then don't bring them out in public.

It's tiring how many parents seem to have zero control over their children and simply expect the rest of the world to shoulder the burden of their out of control behaviour. It's your children they are your responsibility to discipline never mind provide appropriate provisions to feed and house them.

#28 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,103 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

If you can't get them to behave enough to bring out in public then don't bring them out in public.

It's tiring how many parents seem to have zero control over their children and simply expect the rest of the world to shoulder the burden of their out of control behaviour. It's your children they are your responsibility to discipline never mind provide appropriate provisions to feed and house them.

A 9 month old crying isn't bad behaviour, it's called being a 9 month old.

#29 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

The part that gets me is that this same story about Earl's seems to appear in the news about once a year or so. How is it that people are still surprised that Earl's doesn't cater to kids?
Posted Image

#30 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,689 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

I would agree that there is a line where somebody needs to remove their child from the environment but to say people just shouldn't bring their kids out is beyond stupid. Also I've seen several times where people freak out because a baby starts crying. That's "starts crying" not "has been crying for 5 minutes." If people can't handle going out in public and understanding that there will be other people there then perhaps they shouldn't be going out in public. It's completely a two way street.
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.