The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Scott Gomez Placed On Waivers By MTL For Purpose of Buyout

As Per TSN:

One day after the NHL and NHL Players' Association reached an agreement on an accelerated compliance buyout, the Montreal Canadiens placed Scott Gomez on unconditional waivers on Wednesday.

Should he clear waivers on Thursday at Noon et, Montreal will be able to buy him out.

Last weekend, the Canadiens told Gomez to stay home until he can be bought out in the summer in order to clear $7.3 million in salary cap space for next season.

The Canadiens did not want Gomez to play this season in case he suffered an injury that would not allow the team to complete the buyout.

"With where the cap is going to be next year, we had to buy out Scott's contract and the safest way to do that without risking him being injured was to send him home," said Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin on the weekend. "It's the rules we have to play by."

However, with the new buyout policy, teams can use up one buyout on one player with at least a $3 million average salary this season and incur a full cap hit, less the $900,000 for not burying him player in the minors, but suffer no cap hit next season or beyond.

At 1 million or less, I think the Canucks should take a shot at him. I really don't think he could be any worse than he was last season.

And the Canucks aren't in the position right now where they have a whole lot of options. Putting all of our faith in Schroeder or Ebbett may pay off, but it might not. It could be risky putting all of our eggs in one basket.

A change of scenary could do wonders for Gomez. He's an Alaskan too and he played for the Surrey Eagles in the BCHL. I think the Canucks could have the inside track if they were interested and he was willing to sign cheap.

As I said in the other Gomez thread, I'd go up to 1.5mill for him. Not only would he be a decent stop-gap measure until Kes and Booth return, I think he could be a good playmaker for the two of them when they are back. Kes could teach him a few things about his defensive game as well.

According to Vigneault though, Canucks won't try to sign him even if he hits the market. Guess we'll see.

As I said in the other Gomez thread, I'd go up to 1.5mill for him. Not only would he be a decent stop-gap measure until Kes and Booth return, I think he could be a good playmaker for the two of them when they are back. Kes could teach him a few things about his defensive game as well.

According to Vigneault though, Canucks won't try to sign him even if he hits the market. Guess we'll see.

Archived