The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

team 1040 talking about Luo's value...

nitwitt

What doesn't get addressed in this forum are the other options available to teams considering an upgrade in net. I think we can all agree that Luongo is a workhorse and would help any team looking for an upgrade, but at what cost??

Trade for a top 6 forward and youth = No

Take on a huge contract = maybe

Any package throwing in Ballard, Raymond or Schroeder = not going to happen

Look at other options = yes

Wouldn't it be smarter for the Leafs to take a run at Halak ?? Bernier?? If I was a Leaf fan, I would be very comfortable with Halak and Reimer as my 1-2 and retain an asset or two?

Kass9, In a perfect world, if we won with both 'tenders shining, we could then make a deal with either one. If the Schneids deal was that much better...It would simply be incredible to see both these bloke's names on the Cup.

It's pretty darn rare for a team to have TWO goaltenders so talented-in addition to being really good guys & teammates. Can anyone remember a comparable?

So essentially $35 mill and a first for Couturiere and "Simmons!"

Obviously not you paying the cheques!

Plus give up Lou...

:picard:

Bozak, Kadri and a 2nd would be an epic fail, but Gillis has shown before that he likes to throw in a crap trade (Ballard, Bernier, Coho) now and again. This trade does not help us at all.

How about:

To Philly

Luongo

Cannauton

2014 first

Raymond

To Van

Couturier

Simmons

Bryz

See we give up way more, take on Bryz who we can buy out, but get two young, big players who will help us now and in the future.

MG woould not think of this, nor would he take Bryz back because he is not capable of thinking outside the box.

I think drafting Kadri was ultimately Burke's demise. He was is first choice, and I dont think Kadri was his choice but rather his head scout's choice.

Yet again, Glennie and Paarjavi are epic fail as well. Kassian would have been Burke's perfect player, but still not a superstar

The problem I have is that Bozak is just a stop-gap until Kes can make it back into the lineup. After Kes comes back, then what? The Canucks have a ton of depth to fill the 3rd and 4th line centre role. Should we keep Bozak on the 2nd line and have Kes play the Jordan Staal (circa 2008) roll of 3rd line shutdown/scoring centre? If Weiss was coming back, I wouldn't mind that move for Kesler, but only because Weiss is an upgrade over Bozak.

I think another dman and a strong winger are what would best fit the Canucks' long-term needs.

Look at us - 2 injuries, and the 2nd line is a total mess. You really think there won't be more injuries as the season goes on? Quality depth is never a bad thing.

And if we're totally healthy and need to get rid of a top-9 tweener, we can unload someone for another pick - whoever isn't fitting in as well. With the compressed game schedule, there will be lots of teams with injuries, desperate not to let a chunk of the schedule pass them by with a big hole in their roster. If that ends up being Bozak, so be it.

People need to take off the homer glasses when it comes to luongos value. Considering his age, his contract, HIS decision on where to go, and the market, this deal is fair if not more that he eventually gets.

1. Luongo is not looking to go to a rebuilding team and no rebuilding team would want an older goalie. Cross out NYI, and CBJ

2. Many teams have goalie prospects that they are developing to become take the role of #1. Cross out BOS, TB, FLA, EDM

3. It's not the 90's anymore, most teams already has solid #1 starters they rely on. Cross out MTL, BUF, NYR PHI, PIT, CAR WPG, CAL, MIN, DET, NSH, ANA, DAL, COL, LAS, PHX, SJ.

So who is left. You got TOR, & NJ

Not much of a market for a aging goalie with a long term contract. He still is a great goalie, but how much would other teams be willing to give up if only for a slight unproven upgrade. Were not talking about Roy or Brodeur in there prime. It boils down to simple economics. High supply and low demand = low prices.

Next thing people need to realize is Schroeder has little to no value. 0 NHL games and not exceptional numbers in the AHL. If Lombardi a once 53 point NHL player gets only a conditional pick, what would a guy like Schroeder deserve. Think about it, really.

Bozak Put up 47 points last year on the leafs. Burrows put up 52 points playing with the twins. He fills that 2nd line center role perfectly until kes comes back and then he becomes the 3 line center between hansen and higgins.

Finally then on top of this deal, we unload luongos cap hit and this is the most important piece of the deal. We then have room to sign/ trade for a player to fill any holes we may have. There it is i've said my piece. If you can logically explain why luongos value is worth more, i'm all ears....

Team 1040 remarking that Canuck fans would be happy with Bozak, Kadri and 2nd for Luongo...

Please Mike G. don't do it. Bozak is not a true top 6 forward and Kadri doesn't make the team. Stick to your guns, a big scoring winger(top six guy like Clowe) , good prospect and 2nd round pick.

just my opinion.

Bozak is skating as the 1st line center in Tor. Yea not getting him, Kadri is skating as their 3rd line center. so basically we would be asking for two of thier nhl Center's and a 2nd round pick.... yea, thats not gonna happen

Team 1040 remarking that Canuck fans would be happy with Bozak, Kadri and 2nd for Luongo...

Please Mike G. don't do it. Bozak is not a true top 6 forward and Kadri doesn't make the team. Stick to your guns, a big scoring winger(top six guy like Clowe) , good prospect and 2nd round pick.

Haha well, he is a bit of a nut but most goalies are. The scary thing is if you look at luongos stats last year both regular season and playoffs and compare it to Bryzgalov and well it's failry similar. Infact if you look at the past 3 season by stats alone luongo wins only by a slight margin. Both have had the odd terrible playoff performances. Both have long term contacts

Bryzgalov signed until he's 39 (2021) with a cap hit of 5.6

Luongo signed until he's 43 (2023) with a cap hit of 5.33

Bozak, Kadri and a 2nd would be an epic fail, but Gillis has shown before that he likes to throw in a crap trade (Ballard, Bernier, Coho) now and again. This trade does not help us at all.

How about:

To Philly

Luongo

Cannauton

2014 first

Raymond

To Van

Couturier

Simmons

Bryz

See we give up way more, take on Bryz who we can buy out, but get two young, big players who will help us now and in the future.

MG woould not think of this, nor would he take Bryz back because he is not capable of thinking outside the box.

Archived