The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Minnesota Wild = Overrated?

Is it me or are media overhyping this team cause of the Parise and Suter signings? Up front they're not bad, there's some depth there now that they never had before, nothing scary though, but on defence after Suter, there's not a whole lot, and Backstrom is inconsistent. I don't see this team as a major contender at all, but they will be a lower tier playoff team who won't get anywhere. Thoughts?

On paper.. Maybe.

But they are playing well right now, I think Parise's addition has sparked Heatley which will only make them all the more dangerous.

Perhaps on the back-end they lack a bit of depth but there forward group is good, they have great goaltending and if they continue to play like they are I think they make the playoffs and are right there with us in the running for the division.

I don't think anyone expects Minnesota to be cup contenders right now, and I haven't heard anyone say that they are. They were a bad team last year, and now they are a bubble playoff team now. A few years down the road, and they might compete, signing Suter and Parise doesn't make them contenders, but give them a solid core to build around for the next decade. With several of young forward prospects with upside coming up including Granlund, Coyle, Phillips, and many more, there's lots to like, D needs fixing up, and goal tending doesn't seem to be a big issue whether they re-sign Backstrom or have Harding take over. There's lots of potential, and it's a team that is going to only go up.

Still better than those teams with no direction, like the leafs team that switch core players every year.

On paper.. Maybe.

But they are playing well right now, I think Parise's addition has sparked Heatley which will only make them all the more dangerous.

Perhaps on the back-end they lack a bit of depth but there forward group is good, they have great goaltending and if they continue to play like they are I think they make the playoffs and are right there with us in the running for the division.

They're a playoff team, but a healthy Vancouver lineup blows them away IMO. Canucks are deep upfront,on defence and in goal, just a matter of the newer players gelling, and staying afloat while Kesler and Booth are out.

Parise - Koivu - Heatley

Bouchard - Granlund - Setoguchi

I think that top 6 can compete with our top 6. Then they also have solid 3rd and 4th lines with Clutterbuck, Cullen, Brodziak, Mitchell, Kenopka, Powe, exc.

So forwards I would say is even (In comparison with us)

Defense we have a clear advantage IMO.

Goaltending is close, I think I would still give the advantage to us as Backstrom has struggled with consistency but if Harding plays the way they he is capable of I think there Tandem is a very solid tandem that isn't really any worse than ours if at all.

If I had to break it down:

Offense: Vancouver = Minnesota

Defense: Vancouver > Minnesota

Goaltending: Vancouver (Slightly) > Minnesota

They can't compete with a healthy Canucks forward. Their 2nd line is awful. Granlund is still a rookie, Setoguchi is like Raymond, and PM Bouchard hasn't been the same since his injury. It's a real soft, and small forward group.

Remind you that Minnesota tries to play a defensive game, that makes their goaltender look a bit better. That Defense they have, aside from Suter is pretty damn awful.

Rookie? So? Have you seen how Tarasenko has been lighting it up? He is already one of the Blues biggest offensive threats and Granlund is right there, he has been touted as one of if not the best player outside the NHL for awhile, he is better than you think, Bouchard is playing better, the concussion problems have been tough but if he plays like he can he is still a useful player and Seto is better than Raymond, unless you are talking about the Raymond we saw tonight, then maybe it is a closer comparison.

Then a 3rd line of Brodziak - Cullen - Clutterbuck rounds out a solid top 9, they have a good forward group, could put it up against that of any team in the league IMO.

The media is trying to make a story out of nothing by claiming certain teams are totally overhauled by single trades or draft picks. Does Parise help their offense? Yeah, but how much worse can an offense get than LAST?! The Wild was TERRIBLE on offense last year, a long way off from 2nd last (the Kings). But where Minnesota really falls down is their defense and goaltending. They played the most defensive trap game in the league and executed it so poorly that despite the lowest GF, they were 3rd worst in the league for GF-GA, ahead of only the Islanders and Columbus. Does Suter single-handedly fix that? Hell no.

For those thinking those 2 guys are somehow inspiring the rest of the team to play better, remember when halfway through the season Minnesota had the most points in the league? How did that work out? 81 points in an awful division and missed the playoffs. They're too streaky, the exact opposite of what makes the Canucks successful.

Can't compare them to the Canucks. Canucks are a team that are contending right now. 2-3 years and the Canucks might have to blow everything up. Minnesota's got their core now, and now it's just all about the developing process now. The hardest part for a young team is to find those core players, and Minnesota was able to acquire them. Just look at how hard it is for Calgary to get rid of Iginla. They are desperate to compete because they still have Iginla and Kipper, that they sign any player and hope for the best to the point that they will have a hell of a time rebuilding.

Archived