54 replies to this topic

#1 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,114 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Coaching changes havent helped, does he need new linemates? He didnt do too bad in the KHL, not as well as Malkin, but decent. I do miss the days of Crosby vs Ovechkin and his high light-reel goals, but I just dont get what happened to him.

So far he has 1 point in 4 games, that point being an assist, and the Capitals are 0-3-1 to start the season. If the Caps miss the playoffs and Ovechkin continues at his slide downwards in stats, what do you do with him and the team?

Ovie's cap hit is 9.5 till 2020-2021 8 MORE YEARS!
Backstrom carries a similar contract till 2019-2020 with a Cap hit of 6.7 million.

Come deadline day, I think if the Caps are out of the top 8 and still struggling, they should change the look of the team and become sellers.

Why sellers? Because they have 8 UFA's next season, and 5 RFA's and teams who are looking to add pieces may be willing to part with prospects or picks.

Continue through next year, if Ovechkin struggles further and is a 40-50 point player tops, would you consider trading him? (if a team would take on his contract after that many season of decline/mediocracy)
Or even the extremely unlikely buyout?

Get your NHL 13 hats out and give your input!
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#2 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

I actually was just looking at ov today, I didnt realize he had a higher cap hit than crosby.. the frack was Washington thinking?

Im pretty sure that contract is going to haunt washington, I wouldnt be surprised if crosby's contract does the same to pitts either.

Posted Image

#3 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Ballard, Raymond, 1st round?

Kidding aside, I think he needs to get out of washington

Edited by HiChui, 27 January 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#4 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

They will never trade him, be is there franchise. They probably think he is the same player he was 4-5 years ago anyways.

zackass.png

#5 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,229 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

they really should get some assets for him now and not wait for his trade value to drop more than it already has he just isn't the same anymore

also ya the contract eventually will haunt the capitals especially with the cap going down next year they really blew it giving him 9.5 million thats almost 2 first line players salary on most teams

#6 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,114 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

they really should get some assets for him now and not wait for his trade value to drop more than it already has he just isn't the same anymore

also ya the contract eventually will haunt the capitals especially with the cap going down next year they really blew it giving him 9.5 million thats almost 2 first line players salary on most teams

Yeah but back then he was worth 9.5 and producing as much or if not more than 2 first line players on many teams, but teams who continue to sign these long contracts need to wake up and look at the the history of long contracts.

If Caps hold onto Ovie for too long, he may no be a trading asset anymore. But he could always turn it around.

Edit: Ovechkin scores! Nice to see! PPG

Edited by PlayStation, 27 January 2013 - 03:00 PM.

Posted Image

#7 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,022 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

I'd still keep him. He's still a great player, even if he's not the star he once was.
We are all Canucks

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!
"I'll play on one leg, I don't care" - Ryan Kesler
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#8 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

He'll continue to have crappy years in the NHL. He'll probably leave for the KHL in early 30's where he can continue his 1 trick pony cut into the slot wrister.

He was great before defenders and back-checkers figured out his game.

Unlike Stamkos who keeps evolving his game, Ovie keeps trying the same thing, even though it's unsuccessful.

#9 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

He'll continue to have crappy years in the NHL. He'll probably leave for the KHL in early 30's where he can continue his 1 trick pony cut into the slot wrister.

He was great before defenders and back-checkers figured out his game.

Unlike Stamkos who keeps evolving his game, Ovie keeps trying the same thing, even though it's unsuccessful.

Wasn't it reported that he was lazy in the off season a few years ago and came to camp out of shape? It seems he's never been able to bounce back from that. It's as if he's relying solely on his skill meanwhile having a lack of preparation and effort on and off the ice. This would certainly explain his statistical drop off and why he is often described as being invisible on the ice.
Posted Image

#10 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,577 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Ovechkin right now is a one-trick pony that is basquing in long-term security.

Long term contracts are horrible.

#11 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

I actually was just looking at ov today, I didnt realize he had a higher cap hit than crosby.. the frack was Washington thinking?

Im pretty sure that contract is going to haunt washington, I wouldnt be surprised if crosby's contract does the same to pitts either.

Washington was thinking at the time they have the best pure goal scorer in the NHL and wanted to lock up that asset. A season last year he was put in a different situation by a defense-minded coach. This year his ice time is back up and he has more freedom offensively.

Other than perhaps being predictable in certain moves and shot attempts he is still a dynamic, elite offensive forward. He really is capable any game or any shift to open it up and do damage.

Maybe not the best choice for Captain, but he is the franchise player, very unlikely he gets moved, especially with the perception currently that his value is lower than it could be.
Posted Image

#12 c00kies

c00kies

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Buy out Ovechkin at the end of the year. Then the Canucks sign him for just 5M for 3 years. This is a can't fail plan :bigblush:
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#13 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

OV scored 38 goals playing in Dale Hunter's trap system last year. And you think there is something wrong with him?

The Caps have employed a defense first, trap game over the past 2 seasons. No player in the world could play in the that system and not score less points.

Edited by WHL rocks, 27 January 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#14 Pablo

Pablo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Kassian Edler Luongo Jensen and a 1st and a 3rd for Ovechkin and a 2nd

#15 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Funny how fast ppl can turn against a player in CDC after an off year. Last year there was a post about Crosby was done and now this. A fan base like this is like a swarm of locust... They will chew up any players alive with little logic behind them

OVECHKIN STILL SCORED 38 GOALS LAST SEASON UNDER A TRAP SYSTEM!

and here people are having serious discussion about the cap buying out or trading his content before his value drops too low...

#16 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Funny how fast ppl can turn against a player in CDC after an off year. Last year there was a post about Crosby was done and now this. A fan base like this is like a swarm of locust... They will chew up any players alive with little logic behind them

and here people are having serious discussion about the cap buying out or trading his content before his value drops too low...

Its because most are bandwagon fans who don't understand sport. The minute a player has a bad game, its time to trade him. Its pretty pathetic.

Posted Image

#17 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,114 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Turn against a player? I've said I hope he gets back to where he was and that I'm not putting the whole blame on Ovechkin, I've addressed the issue that maybe a shake up in the Caps roster could help bring players who could play wiith Ovechkin better. Also I was proposing the situation IF his decline CONTINUES, and if the Caps continue to lose games.

I did not in any way say he is not a good player anymore, but he is no longer PLAYING and as dangerous like the elite top 3 superstar in the world that he used to be.

He's being paid 9.5 million, but isnt playing to deserve that, so criticism should be expected.

Posted Image

#18 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,022 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Kassian Edler Luongo Jensen and a 1st and a 3rd for Ovechkin and a 2nd

We'd lose that deal badly.
We are all Canucks

Posted Image

#19 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,927 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

He hasn't been a top 5 player for a good 2 years now. I think the leauge has finally figured out how to shut him down. That being said, it's also up to him to adjust to the leauge and continue to get better, however, it seems like he's kinda given up on trying to accomodate with everyone around the leauge knowing how he plays, and his moves. As predictable as he is. He is still one of the best goal scorers on the planet. He seems unmotivated at times, and doesn't try. This is an example heart attack for coaches. He's still one of hell of a player though. But as someone said, he is a franchise player.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#20 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,022 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

He scored his first goal tonight. Still not very good overall, but maybe it'll spark him or something.
We are all Canucks

Posted Image

#21 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Imagine if they did trade him... To Pittsburg! Him and Crosby would be tearing it up!

#22 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

I don't think Ovi could decline any more. Give the new coach some time, and I'm sure he'll get more out of Ovi.
Posted ImagePosted Image
---------------------------------------------------

#23 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

The trouble with Ovi is that he doesn't really make the team better when he's not scoring. At times like this, he seems reeeaally expensive.

#24 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

Looked like he was pretty darn good today against Buffalo. He just needs more help, Washington is not a deep team at all, it's easy for teams with good five-man defensive units to key on Ovechkin and shut him down.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#25 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

The problem is the captainicy and the failures of the post season and Olympic really hit him hard apparently and he has never been able to recover from that.

He is also not as happy-go-lucky as he used to be. He has become more moody. The problem with Ovechkin is that he sees himself as a goal scorer so when he is not scoring the frustration grows and snowballs. Yes he did have 38 goals last year but it came at a sacrifice, it was his first year to be under a point per game since he entered the NHL.

The other obvious problem is his inability or unwillingness to improve since he entered the league and constantly rounding himself out as a player.

He has gone to his bread and butter many times before coming down the wing. It used to work but stopped working after 2010 and now rarely do you see vintage Ovechkin goals.

I think he needs to start training in the off-season with Stamkos and Gary Roberts and see what they are doing. His fitness has been an issue and he has gained weight every year since entering the league thinking it will help him play a more physical game.

He needs a good trainer to push him to focus off ice and ditch the party boy attitude to get serious about regaining his elite level as well as on the ice to improve his game and add some new moves to his arsenal because I'm sure he realizes his old stuff doesn't work anymore.

Maybe he needs a full time skills coach to work with over the summer to help him add some offensive moves or even workout with Kovalchuk who has a similar game to Ovechkin but has improved to become a better passer and improved his game to not be one dimensional.

Edited by Terry Crews, 28 January 2013 - 01:21 AM.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#26 NucksBrass

NucksBrass

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

trad for kovalev an oveckin an win cup an he be first russian on cup win!!!!!!!!

#27 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

I believe he's just as talented as he's always been, but the Capitals have been making stylistic changes the last few seasons. Nobody is going to play a trap style and not see their production take a hit. If he can fully commit to training and regaining his elite status, and add some new moves to his arsenal I wouldn't be surprised if he took off offensively again.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,873 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

Problem is I don't think he's playing much with Backstrom right now, and Washington just sucks in general. He needs a big change, because right now the only thing that has worked was playing in another continent.
Posted Image

#29 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

maybe the pressure of being of captain and your best player..........give the "C" to Brooks Laich? perhaps?

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#30 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,946 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

Steroids and illegal stick are gone :bigblush:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.