Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

[Rumour/Speculation] Capitals may try to trade Ovechkin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
134 replies to this topic

#121 babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

You clearly haven't watched him play lately then. He looks lazy and disinterested the majority of time he played.

And yea, I would say his point totals dropping 40% over 2 seasons is pretty dramatic. We're talking about a player that was considered arguably the most dominant player in the world only a few seasons ago.

Why do you think this rumor is out there if his play wasn't fading. :lol:

This past season he seemed to have re-discovered his scoring touch, though. He was on pace for 55 goals.

#122 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

Edler, Luongo, Higgins, Jensen, 2013 1st, 2014 1st, 2015 1st
Posted Image

#123 LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

If he doesn't produce this year or the next he is gone. Huge trade value. They can go for a bunch of top notch prospects.

They traded Forsberg...

for Martin Erat :picard:
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#124 coryberg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

You all know this was an ancient thread bumped up by a weirdo right?

#125 marc2001

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

I fail to see how the Leagues top goal scorer is considered trade bait at all. I don't think Washington's problem is Ovechkin, its thinking you can get anywhere in the playoffs with one Superstar(Forward), we have two and they also get shutdown come playoff time.

Edited by marc2001, 15 June 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#126 TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,666 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

Sup wit da necrobump?

#127 Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

uhh do people forget he scored 21 goals in 20 games or something last season? Probably winning the Hart trophy again, won the Richard trophy again, plays physical and plays big minutes. Am I missing something?

Other than Lundqvist stoned him in the playoffs... but lets face it the Caps aren't the same team as the Rangers and the Rangers have Lundqvist.

If we don't even dump one veteran, I'll stop posting on CDC until October 7th. It's that disappointing. - Tom Sestito, June 27th.

#128 Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

With Erat who needs Ovechkin?

If we don't even dump one veteran, I'll stop posting on CDC until October 7th. It's that disappointing. - Tom Sestito, June 27th.

#129 canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

May I have your attention please?
May I have your attention please?
Will the real Alex Ovechkin please stand up?
I repeat, will the real Alex Ovechkin please stand up?
We're gonna have a problem here..

Edited by canucksnihilist, 15 June 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#130 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

He remains one fo the best players in the League, other than the Playoffs where he has yet to make his mark he is a formidable force in the League. Did he not just win the Rocket Richard Trophy ? I mean come on.

Washington management, coaches love him, love his play and he has become a more complete player over the past season. No way the Capitals move him lol.
Posted Image

#131 morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

He's exactly what they'd need in St. Louis to sell tickets and jerseys, but I'm not sure he'd be able to play under Hitchcock.

If he were traded to Detroit, he'd be good enough to keep them a playoff team for at least another 5 years. I don't think they've got the assets, though.

The Ottawa Senators have the assets and the cap space. They've also got a system that can work well for Alex Ovechkin. I see the Ottawa Senators as being the top contender to acquire Alex Ovechkin.

After Ottawa, the Dallas Stars are a pretty good fit with regards to asset and cap space.

If the Phoenix Coyotes find a new owner, I see there second biggest need being a huge offensive star. That's what Ovechkin is. They've got the assets and the cap space, all they need is the owner.

The Columbus Blue Jackets have the assets, cap space and a tremendous need for a superstar that can keep them competitive year after year. I don't see it as a good move after they traded a premium for Marian Gaborik (why'd they do that, again?)

The San Jose Sharks are a spectacular fit. Not quite enough cap space, but he'd be fantastic for their bottom line as they start to get younger.

Tampa Bay and Florida would be decent fits, but they're divisional rivals.

I believe the Boston Bruins or the Chicago Blackhawks will make a splash if they don't win the cup. Both teams are very unlikely choices to trade for him.

I see the Vancouver Canucks as a dark horse. If Washington agrees to take Luongo back, we buyout Booth, Ballard and send Burrows with Luongo, I see this as the bold move that Gillis has been looking for. A line with D. Sedin, H. Sedin and Ovechkin would be one of the most feared lines in NHL history. That move is obviously very unlikely because of the salary cap constraints that it would put on us, with approximately $8,500,000 in cap space to acquire a third line centre, a bottom pairing D, re-signing Tanev and two fourth liners.
Posted Image

#132 Kooner91

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Ovi ain't going anywhere. If he leaves, Washington will be gone soon after. Give him a half decent team like he had earlier in his career, and he would become the most feared player in the NHL once again.

Markus Naslund- Forever A Canuck

#133 Me_

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

D. Sedin
H. Sedin

#134 Lulover88

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

He just makes too much .. With the low cap I just cant see how Id wanna give one man that big a piece of the pie .. you can have 2 game changers for that kinda cash .

#135 ridehard1212

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

he is not being traded and anyone who would not sell the farm for him is nuts.. Lu Edler jensen tanev and our 1st in a heartbeat.. but doubt WA even considers that.. Guy is Expensive, but there is a reason for that.. with Ovi you could have three legit scoring lines because you would not need as good of a center, plus ovi on the pp with the twins would be somthing else..

Dan Hank Kassian
Booth JS/Gaunce Ovi
Burrows Kesler Higgens
??? Gaunce/Lain/UFA ????

Thats three really good lines or

Dan Hank Burrow
Kassian Kesler Ovi
booth Gaunce/js Higgens

I like this better although i am a fan of a PF on twins line

Dan Hank Ovi
Kassian Kesler burrows
Booth JS/gaunce higgens

One can dream!
I dont give a rat arz about my spelling/grammer mistakes,get over it and up urs if it bothers u!!!!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.