The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Capitals may try to trade Ovechkin

Another question that could be asked is what does 'big' money do to a personality over time. Whether it is Ovy or any other player. A particularly good question when the 'big' money comes early in a career before the player actually learns what it takes to become a true professional. I believe the Canucks have been using 'sports psychologists' for years. I wonder how deep they probe?

Season goal totals:   52,  46,  65,   56,   50,  32, 38

Season point totals: 106, 92, 112, 110, 109, 85, 65

That is a substantial drop off. It is especially puzzling since there was no event such as an injury that can be seen as a cause of the decreased production, and also because the decrease began at the age at which most goal scorers enter their prime. I can't think of another player who's faded like that.

Pretty much, Ovechkin is the best player in Washington, contrary to what many say, just watch him. He is very passionate. He has an amazing skill set and his value I can only imagine is still " elite / franchise player " like.

It's pretty unlikely that Ovechkin would be moved, not to mention other parts of his game are coming around and his coaches are happy with his development. There is no reason he cannot be a 50 goal scorer again. Some people are just writing the guy off, makes no sense lol.

Alex Ovechkin still has a significant amount of trade value. He puts fans in the seats and he's still probably the most or second most talented player in hockey.

Here's a list of teams that I could see him going to:

Nashville(he'd turn Nashville into a premier hockey market. They have young assets + salary that can be moved. If Poile wants Radulov to return, Ovy would be the best guy to sell it to him.)

Philadelphia(They've got the assets and they need offence. Great guy to play with Giroux)

Colorado(Again, they've got young assets to move. Ovy could bring the Avs back to their former glory)

Islanders(great guy to play with Tavares. They've got the assets to move)

Ottawa(need a guy to replace Alfredsson and play with Spezza. Great fit.)

Anaheim(They need insurance for if Getzlaf and Perry leave)

Detroit(They are in desperate need of a new generation of talent)

The Vancouver Canucks would never be in the fray when it comes to Ovechkin. He's not the type of guy we want in the lockeroom and he doesn't fit the team identity. That contract is an albatross that we simply do not need. I would be in a state of shock if Gillis brought him in.

If I were Washington, I'd certainly consider trading Ovechkin. But before I did that, I'd fire George McPhee. He's an awful GM and his firing is long overdue.

You clearly haven't watched him play lately then. He looks lazy and disinterested the majority of time he played.

And yea, I would say his point totals dropping 40% over 2 seasons is pretty dramatic. We're talking about a player that was considered arguably the most dominant player in the world only a few seasons ago.

Why do you think this rumor is out there if his play wasn't fading. :lol:

The only problem with Ovechkin is that he can't single handedly carry Washington anymore. When he was younger, he wasn't as beat up physically as it probably is now. And yes, teams know that Ovechkin is the main threat on the team, so coaches know how to defend against him.

What Washington needs is not to trade OV, but aquire and asset (or someone on the roster to step up) to carry some of the load. Green has not shown any sign that he can be that guy anymore. And while Backstrom is incredibly talented, he won't put the puck in the net. Once Forsberg comes into the picture, and should Washington be lucky enough to somehow get into the Jones/MacKinnon sweepstake, you'll see Washington become a major threat again.

Until that happens, though, Ovechkin cannot do it himself anymore.

I think he's still one of the top-10 players in the game.

However, I think given the years of wear and tear, he's lost a bit of his skating explosiveness. That has affected his ability to make goals happen out of nothing.

His first few years were something special. It didn't matter if he was outnumbered, or what his teammates were doing, Ovechkin could make something happen at any point, no matter how unexpected. It was like watching Kesler in the Nashville series - only it was all year, every game, for like 3 years straight.

You clearly haven't watched him play lately then. He looks lazy and disinterested the majority of time he played.

And yea, I would say his point totals dropping 40% over 2 seasons is pretty dramatic. We're talking about a player that was considered arguably the most dominant player in the world only a few seasons ago.

Why do you think this rumor is out there if his play wasn't fading. :lol:

• 4 months later...

Archived