The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks can trade for Iginla

VanNuck

If I was going to go after an aging vet, I'd probably go for Jagr, who is just as good at this point, lower cap hit (easier to fit in), and according to Hartnell and Giroux, probably the biggest workout animal in the NHL still, and look what he did for both of them last year.

Unlike Calgary though, Dallas may be a borderline playoff team, so it's hard to say if he'll be available... and I'm reasonably certain that he'll cost less, because Dallas will be under less pressure to get a big haul overall.

My view is that Iginla would be fired up in the playoffs with any chance to win a cup. The last few years Iginla has been slow starting the season, this year is no different and I think his game will pick up by mid season.

The problem is with his cap hit of 7 Mill, it would be tough to make room, I also know that we will have cap troubles next year and will have to dump salary. With the way Ballard is playing I really don't think it should be him going.

My suggestion, offer up Booth straight up for Iginla. Calgary gets a replacement winger thats under contract for a few years and we rid ourself of his cap hit. Booth has been absolutely useless for us when he's healthy, which isn't nearly often enough.

We get a guy that will help us tremendously in the playoffs, Calgary gets something tangible.

I know what all of you are thinking - no way on earth is this going to happen, why would Calgary part ways with their franchise leader - especially to perhaps their biggest rival - and why would Iginla come?

Fact is though, Iginla has only one year remaining on his contract - he likely will re-sign with Calgary if he chooses to continue playing (at 37 years of age). Trouble is, they're in no shape to win a Stanley Cup this year and unless an off-season miracle happens, they're in no shape to win next year either. It'll be safe to assume that Iginla won't win a Cup if he stays in Calgary.

As things are for Canucks, Kesler's return could help give an offensive spark - but it may not be quite enough to get over the hump. The Sedins have always been silenced in the playoffs when playing a physical opponent, and there is little guarantee Kesler can make up for their loss - if he can show up un-injured.

With this trade, the Flames could get something in return (like a first-rounder) and could re-acquire their captain in the offseason. The Nucks, meanwhile, can get perhaps one of the game's all-time greatest clutch performers to help wake up the Sedins during the playoffs. Put him on Henrik's right wing and he'll help open up space so they can get to the net unhindered by the Bollands and Marchants. That'll lead to increased post-season offense, which could make all the difference to getting the Cup.

Everyone in question wants to win. The Canucks want to win. Iginla (and the Flames) want to win, but all parties can't have everything at once. Someone has to make a sacrifice, and if I were a Flames fan, I would willingly part with Iginla just to see him get a ring if that's the only option.

I don't think this trade is meant for our team. This trade would require an overpayment/underpayment sorta thing. We'd need to send at least 3.5 mil in salaries to calgary.

I think Calg's expecting a top six forward, a top tier prospect, and a mid round pick, which is a lot.

I don't think giving up something like Booth + Jensen/Schroeder/Kassian/Lack + a fourth makes too much sense for us.

This trade isn't meant for us seeing as we have a low prospect pool to just get rid of one.

That's because it is an overpayment. A slightly overpaid defenceman who's worth 75% of his contract, a near for sure 3rd line checking center, who can become a top six player if he picks up his speed, and a first round pick in a deep draft.

really sucks to say, but we don't have the assets to give ; maybe a prospect filled organization would suit him.

unless feaster goes full retard and takes an offer of booth + some depth fwd + a first.

then we'll party.

Archived