The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injury] Karlsson achilles cut 70% in battle with Cooke, out 3-4 mo after surgery

elvis15

This wasn't intentional.

Long before they got to the boards, cookie lifted his leg to be prepared for the pin in the corner. This type of play happens all the time in the league, the TSN analysts showed it best IMO.

It all happened in a split second, and even though it may look like the skate is coming down to hurt Karlsson, its his leg coming back down to brace himself so he can continue to pin him.

It wasn't an intend to injure, although you'll never get Sens fans saying that.

Here's the TSN video I was talking about:

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/864713/clip/0#main/latest

that looks intentional to me.

why do you even lift your leg up as you skate toward the board.

I'd understand if he was losing balance while making the board play, but he is lifting his leg up and slice it down Karlsson's leg while moving toward the board.

well, I'm no expert at hockey but I think it's intentional and hope Cooke gets suspended for what he did.

That was NOT intentional. You're either daft or bias if you think it was. After all the work Cooke has done to change his game do you guys really think that all of a sudden he would go out on a shift and think, "Hey I'm going to go and severe Karlsson's Achilles tendon." Or, "I'm going to go and step on Karlsson's leg." Even the old Cooke wouldn't do that.

This wasn't intentional.

Long before they got to the boards, cookie lifted his leg to be prepared for the pin in the corner. This type of play happens all the time in the league, the TSN analysts showed it best IMO.

It all happened in a split second, and even though it may look like the skate is coming down to hurt Karlsson, its his leg coming back down to brace himself so he can continue to pin him.

It wasn't an intend to injure, although you'll never get Sens fans saying that.

Here's the TSN video I was talking about:

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/864713/clip/0#main/latest

Loved this post from another message board

I've played hockey and I get that these guys are generally 100% aware of every minor movement they make with every appendage, but I still think suggesting that play was intentional is quite a stretch.

"My blade will definitely blindly find its way exactly down the back of Karlsson's skate and strike the Achilles with exactly enough force that I don't maim him for life but definitely take him out for the year because maybe we have to play these guys in the playoffs. And if I'm not hoping to sever a tendon then intentionally doing this at all is pretty useless. And I can definitely manage this without getting caught because I definitely don't want to get suspended or have Mario call me into his office again and threaten to axe my ass. If I didn't care about that, I'd just run this Karlsson kid head first into the boards or deliver a flying headshot/elbow/knee on knee. But no, because I'm dead set on making this look accidental I'm totally banking on the split-second blind skate stomp that isn't a stomp to land in exactly the right place down the back of the skate and — hey, let's hope Karlsson isn't one of the few guys who wears Kevlar socks — with exactly the right force. This is a fool proof plan."

that looks intentional to me.

why do you even lift your leg up as you skate toward the board.

I'd understand if he was losing balance while making the board play, but he is lifting his leg up and slice it down Karlsson's leg while moving toward the board.

well, I'm no expert at hockey but I think it's intentional and hope Cooke gets suspended for what he did.

The hockey industry is circling the wagons around Cooke. But check out non hockey sports media opinion, like Tony Kornheiser and especially Michael Wilbon on Pardon The Interruption on TSN today. People are much more willing to call it like they see it when it doesn't cast their industry in a negative light.

Once again, it's kind of demoralizing to see how many hockey fans seem to be drinking the industry Kool-Aid here.

I highly doubt that it was intentional, but it's an extremely tough loss for the Sens regardless. No Spezza, no Karlsson. I'll be surprised if they make the playoffs this season, they have had a terrible string of bad luck. If they overcome the losses and somehow make the playoffs the guys in that lock room are to be commended.

The hockey industry is circling the wagons around Cooke. But check out non hockey sports media opinion, like Tony Kornheiser and especially Michael Wilbon on Pardon The Interruption on TSN today. People are much more willing to call it like they see it when it doesn't cast their industry in a negative light.

Once again, it's kind of demoralizing to see how many hockey fans seem to be drinking the industry Kool-Aid here.

Of course it was not "intentional" BUT like your hockey stick you are responsible for how you use it and if you are going to be throwing your feet around and not being careful then i would suggest a look into disciplinary actions against those who injure others as a result of carelessness use of ice skates.

Of course it was not "intentional" BUT like your hockey stick you are responsible for how you use it and if you are going to be throwing your feet around and not being careful then i would suggest a look into disciplinary actions against those who injure others as a result of carelessness use of ice skates.

meh schiz happens... there are 32 skate blades on the ice at any given time, I am amazed we don't see way more accidental skate lacerations happening in the NHL. Does it suck when it happens? of course... was this intentional? no, its pretty obvious when players use there skates intentionally to try to hurt other players.

Archived