77 replies to this topic

#31 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,732 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

Bolland, Phanuef (lol seriously) scum like this does not deserve to be in the league.

What has David Bolland or Dion Phaneuf done to deserve being banned from the NHL?

Bolland rustled the jimmies of the Sedins and suddenly he should be fired from his profession?

Jq9Htab.jpg

#32 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

and yes Cooke ,Avery, Marchand, Tootoo , Bolland, Carcillo, Phanuef (lol seriously) scum like this does not deserve to be in the league.

Maybe, he isn't in the league anymore anyways, no, definitely not, maybe, and definitely not.
Posted Image

#33 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Phaneuf is no where near the level of being banned from the NHL.

I hate Cooke, Avery, and Carcillo.

Bolland and Marchand are fine. We cant just ban everyone who hates us. We wouldnt have much rivalries then.

I just hate Phagoof soo much I had to throw his name in there lol. Marchand is not fine in the slightest, he is scum on ice and many players want his head.

bmw-e30-m3-drift-o.gif

On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami :ph34r:

#34 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

What has David Bolland or Dion Phaneuf done to deserve being banned from the NHL?

Bolland rustled the jimmies of the Sedins and suddenly he should be fired from his profession?

I was actually not serious about Phaneuf I just hate him sooo much . Bolland is a rat on the ice just like Marchand and Avery . Maybe not as blatant or as bad , but this sac of garbage tries to hurt players. That is unacceptable . If the media can continually say Lappy and burrows are some of the worst offenders which is a complete frakken joke then the likes of Bolland should not be in this league.

bmw-e30-m3-drift-o.gif

On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami :ph34r:

#35 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,732 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

I was actually not serious about Phaneuf I just hate him sooo much . Bolland is a rat on the ice just like Marchand and Avery . Maybe not as blatant or as bad , but this sac of garbage tries to hurt players. That is unacceptable . If the media can continually say Lappy and burrows are some of the worst offenders which is a complete frakken joke then the likes of Bolland should not be in this league.

Bolland has never received supplemental discipline in his career.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nis1rZQWC8c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y19mgji4_fM

Edit:

While we're at it:

Edited by Caboose, 16 February 2013 - 02:36 PM.

Jq9Htab.jpg

#36 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

I honestly cannot think of a single dirty play of Bollands. Likely because none have happened.
Good agitator and good player. Deserves to be in the league, and if it weren't for his obvious dislike of the Canucks, and our returning of the favour, I would love for him to be on our team.

Edited by Jägermeister, 16 February 2013 - 02:28 PM.

Posted Image

#37 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Bolland has never received supplemental discipline in his career.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nis1rZQWC8c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y19mgji4_fM

We Can hate Bolland all we want, but when it comes down to it our players are just as bad, if not worse than he is
Posted Image

#38 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,800 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Bolland does those little hacks and whacks when the ref isn't looking. An agitator for sure and he gets under the skin of players. Hate him on the Hawks but would love him on the Canucks.
Posted Image

#39 Hockey Coach12

Hockey Coach12

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Watching the game Cooke was crushed in the first by a pretty good hit , he got up and lost his sh... as he was skating by the Sens bench he was pointing at them and pretty much doin what Cooke does best. I really want to believe this is unintentional, but in my heart of hearts this was deliberate. The way he stepped down just seemed so placed...but we will never really know. I really hope Karlsson can bounce back like Selanne did after he severed his Achilles.

and yes Cooke ,Avery, Marchand, Tootoo , Bolland, Carcillo, Phanuef (lol seriously) scum like this does not deserve to be in the league.

You forgot Bertuzzi.

Don't forget about Torres. That guy is a cancer in this sport. Glad he isn't with our team anymore.

Have to agree that Bolland isn't a goon, just a major pest, especially when he plays the Nucks.
My top scumbags in the NHL are Bertuzzi (should have been banned a long time ago), Torres (should have been suspended for years for that cheap shot on Hossa), Avery (no longer in NHL), Carcillo (injured as usual).

#40 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Don't forget about Torres. That guy is a cancer in this sport. Glad he isn't with our team anymore.

Have to agree that Bolland isn't a goon, just a major pest, especially when he plays the Nucks.
My top scumbags in the NHL are Bertuzzi (should have been banned a long time ago), Torres (should have been suspended for years for that cheap shot on Hossa), Avery (no longer in NHL), Carcillo (injured as usual).

Even though he isn't in the NHL anymore, if anybody ever deserved a ban from the league it was Chris Simon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esETGHljQi4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36d6H92ADDc

8 total suspensions, 7 suspensions for dirty plays, and a 3 game suspension for making a racial slur towards Mike Grier.
He was suspended for 65 games over his 782 game career.

Edited by Jägermeister, 16 February 2013 - 02:46 PM.

Posted Image

#41 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

I will disagree with most of you, and say that I think the Cooke play was intentional. If you look at the video, Cooke's left skate comes down really quickly, almost like a stomp. On top of that, Cooke looks over his left shoulder down at Karlsson's left foot, and see's the contact made with Karlsson's ankle. If it were accidental, there would be no need for the stomping motion, and Cooke wouldn't be looking down at the area of contact.

I think this play rivals the Chara 'turnbuckle' hit on Pacioretty of 2 years ago, where Chara claimed he didn't know how close to the boards the were, or where they were positioned on the ice. This lame argument somehow held water with the albeit, bias Colin Campbell. The Cooke hit is similar, in the sense that Cooke is claiming it was accidental, that he only meant to pin Karlsson against the end boards. Well the clear stomping motion of his left foot demonstrates otherwise. Add to all this, Cooke wouldn't even take a beating from Neil when cornered, as any respectable player should do. Cooke doesn't deserve to be in the NHL, and I genuinely hope he gets targeted the next time these two teams play.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#42 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,180 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

It doesn't matter if it's an accident or not, and Cooke knows it. He's been a dirty player throughout his career so the label is going to stick forever. Melnyk should be pissed, he just lost the Norris winner. NHL fans should be pissed because one of the best NHL players is injured. If it was Crosby, the NHL would have an earthquake. Cooke should be concerned, whether he is a changed man or not, he could very well be out of the NHL next year. Nobody should feel sorry for him, though, simply cause he ended too many careers. Marc Savard most notably.

I personally think Cooke should've been banned from the NHL since the Savard incident.

The hit on Savard wasn't even illegal at the time it happened:

Cooke was not given a suspension for the hit on Savard.[19] On March 24, 2010, in response to the outcry over Cooke not being suspended, the league implemented a new rule aimed at prohibiting blindside hits to the head like the one Cooke delivered to Savard. In announcing the rule, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said, "The elimination of these types of hits should significantly reduce the number of injuries, including concussions, without adversely affecting the level of physicality in the game."[13][20] Earlier, Bettman appeared on Leafs Lunch on Mojo 640 in Toronto to discuss the Cooke hit on Savard. "I was very unhappy and upset with that hit," said Bettman. "I was more upset there was nothing (in the League rules) to do to punish it."

Scott Stevens is a Hall of Famer, but using your logic, he would have been kicked out of the league before ever reaching that status.

Melnyk and Murray are both bitter over the prospect of losing their best defenseman and are lashing out, but they're making themselves look like whiners. This was an unfortunate incident, but totally accidental and the comments of Melnyk especially, are completely out of line.

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 16 February 2013 - 02:55 PM.

Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#43 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,180 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

I will disagree with most of you, and say that I think the Cooke play was intentional. If you look at the video, Cooke's left skate comes down really quickly, almost like a stomp. On top of that, Cooke looks over his left shoulder down at Karlsson's left foot, and see's the contact made with Karlsson's ankle. If it were accidental, there would be no need for the stomping motion, and Cooke wouldn't be looking down at the area of contact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvoMpbdA-0A

I think this play rivals the Chara 'turnbuckle' hit on Pacioretty of 2 years ago, where Chara claimed he didn't know how close to the boards the were, or where they were positioned on the ice. This lame argument somehow held water with the albeit, bias Colin Campbell. The Cooke hit is similar, in the sense that Cooke is claiming it was accidental, that he only meant to pin Karlsson against the end boards. Well the clear stomping motion of his left foot demonstrates otherwise. Add to all this, Cooke wouldn't even take a beating from Neil when cornered, as any respectable player should do. Cooke doesn't deserve to be in the NHL, and I genuinely hope he gets targeted the next time these two teams play.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that Ossi.

Anyone who's ever played the game at a significant level would know that the idea of trying to slice someone's Achilles as you are riding them into the boards wouldn't even occur to a player. If you are thinking of purposely injuring them, you'd try and put their face into the boards or the glass.

BTW: Chara's hitting Pacioretti into the turnbuckle wasn't intentional either.

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 16 February 2013 - 03:00 PM.

Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#44 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Marc Savard had 706 points in 807 games, does he deserve to be playing in the league? It doesn't matter because he can't due to Matt Cooke. So what do points matter? They don't.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZS4XW-JwNmg

So if points don't matter does that mean Todd Bertuzzi then should of been banned from playing hockey ever again too? Steve Moore never gets to play again, but Bertuzzi get's to continue playing the rest of his career.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#45 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

We'll have to agree to disagree on that Ossi.

Anyone who's ever played the game at a significant level would know that the idea of trying to slice someone's Achilles as you are riding them into the boards wouldn't even occur to a player. If you are thinking of purposely injuring them, you'd try and put their face into the boards or the glass.

BTW: Chara's hitting Pacioretti into the turnbuckle wasn't intentional either.

I've played hockey, and I'm pretty sure I knew where my limbs were at all times when I was on the ice. Chara on Pacioretty was absolutely intentional. Likewise I'm pretty sure as a professional hockey player, Chara knew exactly where he was on the ice when he made the hit. Even in this video, you can see that Chara's hand comes up near the back of Pacioretty's head and drives it into the turnbuckle.

The Cooke hit on Karlsson demonstrates a stomping motion that cannot be ignored. The league should set a precedent in banning these types of plays on opposing team's star players. There is enough to put Cooke away based solely on history.

Maybe Cooke wasn't intentionally planning to slice Karlsson's ankle, but you have to explain why he was intentionally stomping Karlsson's foot. Maybe he was going for a broken ankle, maybe he was trying for a slew-foot, but the end result is the same, a definitive stomping motion on Karlsson's foot.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#46 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

I was not an accident.

Just because it was Cooke that did it, it wasn't an accident, right?

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 16 February 2013 - 03:29 PM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#47 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

IMO, Cooke was just trying to wrap Karlsson up.
I do the same thing when I play as do many other players. If I'm going into the corner to try and stop the defender from skating out, to avoid having to grab the defender with my arms (and possibly get a holding penalty) I put my leg out to try and pin him in between my legs and my body. It's a very effective way to pin the defender onto the boards and establish a forecheck.
Plays like that happen all the time, but sadly in this case, Cookes leg just didn't get around Karlssons, and the way that Karlssons leg was exposed his heel.
Posted Image

#48 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

He wasn't convicted - he pled guilty and got a conditional discharge. No criminal record, and not considered a conviction.

As always on CDC a poster presented with an unpalatable fact resorts to semantics. He pled guilty to a premeditated criminal assault that instantly ended a player's career. But he's a Canuck hero so it's A-OK.

Edited by thema, 16 February 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#49 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,180 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I've played hockey, and I'm pretty sure I knew where my limbs were at all times when I was on the ice. Chara on Pacioretty was absolutely intentional. Likewise I'm pretty sure as a professional hockey player, Chara knew exactly where he was on the ice when he made the hit. Even in this video, you can see that Chara's hand comes up near the back of Pacioretty's head and drives it into the turnbuckle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QPHHd6jmMo

The Cooke hit on Karlsson demonstrates a stomping motion that cannot be ignored. The league should set a precedent in banning these types of plays on opposing team's star players. There is enough to put Cooke away based solely on history.

Maybe Cooke wasn't intentionally planning to slice Karlsson's ankle, but you have to explain why he was intentionally stomping Karlsson's foot. Maybe he was going for a broken ankle, maybe he was trying for a slew-foot, but the end result is the same, a definitive stomping motion on Karlsson's foot.

I've got over 45 years of hockey behind me, including a stint in Junior and as I said earlier we'll have to agree to disagree.

As far as "knowing where you are on the ice at all times", you might want to go back and watch a replay of the last Canucks game. You'll see incidents where both Henrik and Raymond lose track of their position and back into the boards without realizing where they are.

BTW: Brendan Shanahan watched both incidents with as as many angles as possible and his opinion coincides with my own. You may consider your hockey insight and experience to be superior to mine, but what about Shanny's?

#50 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Just because it was Cooke that did it, it wasn't an accident, right?

NO, but it doesn't help that it was Cooke.

No one will ever know but Cooke. I don't believe him, you are free to do as you wish. Not trying to change your mind, just expressing my view.

#51 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,180 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

NO, but it doesn't help that it was Cooke.

No one will ever know but Cooke. I don't believe him, you are free to do as you wish. Not trying to change your mind, just expressing my view.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it's based on nothing more than a pre-existing bias....

#52 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

I've always hated Cooke (even when he was a ,surprise, fan favorite in Vancouver) but I agree that he has cleaned his act up considerably and Aaron Ward on TSN showed to me conclusively that this is a play that happens every game and that there was no discernable "stomping" motion in any of the examples he showed. A real shame that this happened but as one analyst said why was Karlsson not wearing those special Kevlar socks?

As for Melnyk his comments are a direct criticism of NHL policy and decision making. If Gillis was fined $250000 for his whiny comments in the 7 game Chicago series (as was rumoured) then Melnyk, as an owner, should get at least double that.

#53 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

I've got over 45 years of hockey behind me, including a stint in Junior and as I said earlier we'll have to agree to disagree.

As far as "knowing where you are on the ice at all times", you might want to go back and watch a replay of the last Canucks game. You'll see incidents where both Henrik and Raymond lose track of their position and back into the boards without realizing where they are.

BTW: Brendan Shanahan watched both incidents with as as many angles as possible and his opinion coincides with my own. You may consider your hockey insight and experience to be superior to mine, but what about Shanny's?

Shanahan wasn't 'President of Player Safety' during the Chara incident, that was Colin Campbell, who's son plays for the Bruins - hence some questionable non-calls against the Canucks. In my opinion, and many others agree with me, it was a viscous hit, and who's to say Chara wouldn't have been suspended until well into the playoffs since the incident occured in March. On top of that, would the Bruins have gone as deep into the playoffs without Chara? It's all cause an effect.

Anyways, aside from my little tangent, you have yet to acknowledge why Cooke stomped in this particular play. I've pinned guys against the boards, and your generally aiming your knee into their upper thigh or buttocks - the stomping skate isn't necessary. It's not incidental contact either, as it's clear in the slow motion that the foot comes down far quicker than the rest of the body movement - indicating a stomp.

So yes, we disagree. I also disagree with Shanahan if this particular play isn't going to be retroactively looked at.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#54 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,180 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

I've always hated Cooke (even when he was a ,surprise, fan favorite in Vancouver) but I agree that he has cleaned his act up considerably and Aaron Ward on TSN showed to me conclusively that this is a play that happens every game and that there was no discernable "stomping" motion in any of the examples he showed. A real shame that this happened but as one analyst said why was Karlsson not wearing those special Kevlar socks?

As for Melnyk his comments are a direct criticism of NHL policy and decision making. If Gillis was fined $250000 for his whiny comments in the 7 game Chicago series (as was rumoured) then Melnyk, as an owner, should get at least double that.

Well said. I wouldn't speculate on any monetary amount, but I found both Melnyk's and Murray's comments to be worthy of a fine.

#55 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it's based on nothing more than a pre-existing bias....

Ya... WHL isn't helping my case here, as his post seems to be based on something as subjective as believing the player.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#56 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,180 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Shanahan wasn't 'President of Player Safety' during the Chara incident, that was Colin Campbell, who's son plays for the Bruins - hence some questionable non-calls against the Canucks. In my opinion, and many others agree with me, it was a viscous hit, and who's to say Chara wouldn't have been suspended until well into the playoffs since the incident occured in March. On top of that, would the Bruins have gone as deep into the playoffs without Chara? It's all cause an effect.

Anyways, aside from my little tangent, you have yet to acknowledge why Cooke stomped in this particular play. I've pinned guys against the boards, and your generally aiming your knee into their upper thigh or buttocks - the stomping skate isn't necessary. It's not incidental contact either, as it's clear in the slow motion that the foot comes down far quicker than the rest of the body movement - indicating a stomp.

So yes, we disagree. I also disagree with Shanahan if this particular play isn't going to be retroactively looked at.

I saw no stomp. If you'd played as much hockey as you suggest, you'd realize that this sort of thing happens all the time. (as pointed out by Aaron Ward)

#57 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

I found the initial TSN article on his fine: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=363838 - but where did you get that it was as substantial as 250,000?

2d7ye0p.jpg

#58 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Shanahan wasn't 'President of Player Safety' during the Chara incident, that was Colin Campbell, who's son plays for the Bruins - hence some questionable non-calls against the Canucks.

Your opinion just lost all validity IMHO.

#59 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

I found the initial TSN article on his fine: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=363838 - but where did you get that it was as substantial as 250,000?

Did you not see the word "rumoured" in my post?

#60 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Many ppl think another person having a different opinion means they are biased.

They can't understand how someone else could possibly have a different opinion so rationalize it in their brain that the other person is unable to think clearly, therefore said person must be prejudiced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.