62 replies to this topic

#1 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

There is no doubt, we have one of the stronger clubs in the NHL, The question is, are we strong enough to win the cup with the current roster? Can we get by the big clubs? Are we as deap as Chicago and Boston? Is it too early to judge our group? Can we afford to carry 2 premier goalies? Do we need to upgrade our Centre and Defensemen positions.

These are all questions that get asked everyday. I love the players, I love the Team, we look stronger on paper, but have we improved enough compared to the other top contenders.

Do we Tweak or make larger changes? Do we stand pat and see how Booth works out, when back? I have always said "Don't Panic" which I haven't changed. But when do we know and when do we make our changes, if we do?

New players need time to fit in and current players need time to adjust to these new players, if that is Mikes course. Where do you see us compared to the best? I don't think we are there yet, and I am probably a little extreme, in what I would do, but where are we?

#2 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

Best team in the league across the board. Just need to play like it.

#3 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

I like the team as is. Probably the most glaring weakness is special teams, but with kesler back I think the PP will be much better.

Booth coming back should add some size. Everyone just has to play to their potential now.

0au3Jj.gifhuntersmalll.jpg

#4 wendythirteenthrashers

wendythirteenthrashers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Would like to see less dump and chase and more carry across the opposing blueline....... Puck POSSESSION !!

#5 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Yup. We are going to win the cup this year. I have been saying that since I was 15 years old. 2013 is the year for the Canucks :D
Life is short, LIVE IT

#6 AngNMGN99

AngNMGN99

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

The team is talented enough! If only the forwards don't get shut down in the playoffs...and if only the D's don't mess it up!

But...the feeling is good!

#7 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

I think the Canucks are good enough to win, but unfortunately other factors come into play when it comes to going all the way, like health, luck and matchups.

The Canucks also need their best players playing at their best to win. Look at the Kings last year. I don't think they even come close to winning the Cup if their best players - Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Brown - weren't playing at the top of their game. For the Canucks, that means the Sedins, Kesler, Edler and either Luongo or Schneider.

#8 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

We could use a big, responsible Dman with a quick shot.

#9 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

I dont think we are quite as good as the 2011 version of our team and obviously we know how that turned out. I think we can win the cup though, we just need more luck and for all our players to leave everything they've got on the ice.

#10 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

The playoffs are completely random, and full of luck and bullsh*t. No way to tell what's going to happen

Edited by Wheels22, 18 February 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#11 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,592 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

I dont think we are quite as good as the 2011 version of our team and obviously we know how that turned out. I think we can win the cup though, we just need more luck and for all our players to leave everything they've got on the ice.

We don't seem nearly as dominant as we did then. We could fall down 3-0 and it would seem we would comeback no problem. We also don't have the puck in the o-zone nearly as much, which leads to less of a shooting advantage compared to what it was back in 2011 (35-20 shot totals).

We seem to be blowing every lead this year, it is starting to get ridiculous. How many times have we blown a lead this year in the 3rd period? 2 goal leads? I'd say in 10 of the games.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#12 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,270 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Wish I had your optimism.

IMHO, we need more oomph, that J'en neh c'est quoi...what the Kings had going into the playoffs last year...

The Canucks haven't found their groove yet - can they find that same kind of groove the Kings with the existing squad?
I don't know. I'd rather tinker with it as so far it isn't there yet.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#13 jag

jag

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

We don't seem nearly as dominant as we did then. We could fall down 3-0 and it would seem we would comeback no problem. We also don't have the puck in the o-zone nearly as much, which leads to less of a shooting advantage compared to what it was back in 2011 (35-20 shot totals).

We seem to be blowing every lead this year, it is starting to get ridiculous. How many times have we blown a lead this year in the 3rd period? 2 goal leads? I'd say in 10 of the games.

I wrote a long ass post about this.. we are changing our system to a more defensive approach. We don't pinch in as much unless we are playing flawless (coache's call during the game to change mode's or styles) you saw that during Dallas a few times because with Kesler you have another finisher, just get him the puck and last night with St. Loius. Yes it seems to look dominant...and for the most part it is... but when both teams study each other and find the flaw of the system which is to chip past the defender with speed and you have a 2-1 then in the playoffs you will lose.

We were good at it in 2011 with Erhoff and Salo but ultimately the system wasn't good enough and was shut down vs Bruins, before that the Hawks shut it down.. we came through but barely in game 7 that year.

Now we saw the hawks try to play their normal game but they didn't get the chances they normally do vs us and thus we beat them.

I prefer this style, am more confident because you won't see those big blowouts you saw with those other teams which play a higher risk offense. Even when we were playing well, sometimes you would have a motivated group and we would get spanked. This year it feels more like a Detroit team that competes every game, and usually wins.

Statistically speaking, we could have had a perfect record, we were up in every single game this year at some point. So that is a pretty good indication of success... the fact that we lost some might be fatigue, motivation or just randomness which does happen. In a 7 game serious the randomness is usually mitigated and the better system or team comes out on top.

I think we have a better chance this year than years past. In '11 we could have been knocked first round. If this team goes in confidently I think you would see them beating teams without that kind of scare and without the lopsides losses that gives the other team confidence in playing you.

The game vs Chicago next will tell me what this team is all about.

#14 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,942 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

POPULAR

No. We'll win the division again. We might win a round. But that's about it.

-The Sedins are starting to trend downwards. That makes them easier to shut down.
-Kesler, already banged-up, will be worn out by the playoffs. He can only do so much.
-We're pretty shallow up the middle. Not sold on Schroeder for playoffs.
-Who knows what Booth will do.
-There are other guys, but what they've done in the playoffs so far is nil.

-Hamhuis seems to have declined or is playing hurt.
-Edler still has work to do on defensive coverage.

-Luongo is our best player, but he's on the block.
-Schneider has taken a step back.
Posted Image

#15 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

The team is solid, good depth everywhere. If the D can stay healthy, we have as good a shot as anyone outside Pittsburgh, they are the obvious favourites.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#16 canucktican

canucktican

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

We definitely have the team with potential to win the cup. The question is will the team play to their potential come playoffs time.

Last year, LA had all the pieces required to win the cup. They didn't play up to their potential in the regular season but they did during the playoffs.

#17 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Wish I had your optimism.

IMHO, we need more oomph, that J'en neh c'est quoi...what the Kings had going into the playoffs last year...

The Canucks haven't found their groove yet - can they find that same kind of groove the Kings with the existing squad?
I don't know. I'd rather tinker with it as so far it isn't there yet.

C'est "Je ne sais quoi," vous bouffon anglais.

People go on about what holes we have, how we need coaching adjustments, how we need to get bigger etc.

This team is talented enough, deep enough, and yes even big enough to win. They're at that level. At this point, it's just a matter of everybody playing their hearts out and doing what they must to win. That's what separates champions from talented teams.

The team is solid, good depth everywhere. If the D can stay healthy, we have as good a shot as anyone outside Pittsburgh, they are the obvious favourites.

Chicago, Vancouver, St. Louis, Boston, New York, and arguably New Jersey all > Pittsburgh.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 18 February 2013 - 04:11 PM.

dontforgettolentil.png

#18 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

not enough sandpaper, need 2 more beasts, a forward and D, we don't have a single D that installs an ounce of intimidation and that is a serious flaw that will be completely exposed come playoff time. we are paying a kings ransom for elder,garrison,bieksa and hamhuis, yet the cheapest guy Tanev is most consistent. nobody in our D is scary and thats a big problem. Alberts ? please.

Dish a goalie + Edler or Hamhuis and either Raymond or Schoreder and we could get serious pieces in return that would give us enough, were not there yet.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#19 Sea2Sky Country

Sea2Sky Country

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

we have all the talent, skill and crucial pieces necessary to make a legitimate run at the cup. the key is putting all our weapons together at the same time, and having everyone play their role to their full potential ... if this team can start firing on all cylinders consistently for 60 full minutes, they can match up with any other team in the league and there's no reason we can't take home the Cup.

#20 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

We are good enough to do well in the regular season. We are not tough enough to win the Stanley Cup.
Posted Image

#21 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Nope. We need one more top 6 forward and a big Dman who can log big minutes.
Posted Image

#22 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Last year, LA had all the pieces required to win the cup. They didn't play up to their potential in the regular season but they did during the playoffs.

I seem to recall they made a dramatic change to their organization that got their team playing up to it's potential.

not enough sandpaper, need 2 more beasts, a forward and D, we don't have a single D that installs an ounce of intimidation and that is a serious flaw that will be completely exposed come playoff time. we are paying a kings ransom for elder,garrison,bieksa and hamhuis, yet the cheapest guy Tanev is most consistent. nobody in our D is scary and thats a big problem. Alberts ? please.

Bingo.

Bieksa is our only D who consistently has that playoff type sandpaper to his game. Edler can do it at times but not nearly enough.
Team needs an orge on defense who will clear the net. The type of guy who makes opposing forwards think twice about crashing the net.

#23 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

The only way the Nucks will be good enough to win the cup is if the get some killer instinct. Along with good reffing, staying healthy and the right matchups in the playoffs.
I'm still not convinced on Booth, he seems too wishy washy to me. As said above they need more sandpaper, not just annoying players like Lappy and Bur.

Edited by Hockey Fever, 18 February 2013 - 04:57 PM.

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#24 Twine Bulger

Twine Bulger

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Do we Tweak or make larger changes? Do we stand pat and see how Booth works out, when back? I have always said "Don't Panic" which I haven't changed. But when do we know and when do we make our changes, if we do?

I agree dont panic and feel we can't make any big moves untill we see how are team looks with booth in the line-up then adjust accordingly. In the big picture we need to move a goalie before next season simply because 4 - 5.333 million is way too much to have sitting on the bench, especially with the cap hit droping next season. Having 2 great goalies is never a bad thing but only if it benifits your team and next year i could only see it hurting us.

#25 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,009 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

No. We'll win the division again. We might win a round. But that's about it.

-The Sedins are starting to trend downwards. That makes them easier to shut down.
-Kesler, already banged-up, will be worn out by the playoffs. He can only do so much.
-We're pretty shallow up the middle. Not sold on Schroeder for playoffs.
-Who knows what Booth will do.
-There are other guys, but what they've done in the playoffs so far is nil.

-Hamhuis seems to have declined or is playing hurt.
-Edler still has work to do on defensive coverage.

-Luongo is our best player, but he's on the block.
-Schneider has taken a step back.

Pretty much this.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#26 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Would like to see less dump and chase and more carry across the opposing blueline....... Puck POSSESSION !!

Hopefully Booth will bring a bit of that carry across the blueline behaviour back with him. He always drove hard into the offensive zone.

#27 Mr. Ramsay

Mr. Ramsay

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

No.

Posted Image

#28 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

We are good enough and anything can happen in the playoffs. If you get in, you can win. Philadelphia and especially LA last year proved this.

2dgqi51.jpgfcvifc.jpg
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 and Discord for the signatures.

#29 fanfor42

fanfor42

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

TOMapleLaughs:

Your points are taken. You've identified several of the key questions facing the Canucks. However your conclusion of a single round win in the playoffs is pessimistic.

If you resolve your questions in a positive manner the conclusion changes and this team can make a legitimate run at a cup.

For example:

Sedins are trending downward but still capable of being productive.
Kesler is healthy. Will play only 35 reg season games and should be good to go in the playoffs - so I disagree with you on him.
Schroeder could surprise to the upside. Other small fast players have had past playoff success. You won't know till you see him.
Booth is a question. However, if he is better than expected he will have a very positive impact on the team in the playoffs.
Hamhuis and Edler have to be better in the playoffs than they've been the first 14 games of the season. Quite possible.
The goaltending situation will be resolved by the trade deadline. Whoever starts the playoffs in goal needs to deliver.

So yes, you've identified the issues. But I disagree that the dye is already cast and the team's playoff fate is sealed. I think a positive resolution to these issues leads to a deep playoff run.

#30 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

The cup is ours, its just a matter of time. Book time off work and plan a parade route.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.