The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo, Hansen and a 1st

This is a tongue and cheek thread as a result of the back and forth I had with Ari Gold in "VANCOUVER-PHILADELPHIA".

Therein, Ari Gold claimed it would take Luongo, Hansen and a 1st to get Voracek out of Philadelphia.

I think the value of Luongo, Hansen and a 1st is more equivalent to Claude Giroux.

Each of us thinks the other is crazy. Please tell us who is in greater need of psychiatric help.

EDIT: neither proposal is meant to be feasible, as both Ari and I realize Philly likely isn't seeking goaltending at this point. It is value we are debating. Is the total value of Luongo, Hansen and a 1st closer the that of Voracek or that of Giroux?

Philly doesn't need Lu, Bryz has been playing pretty well this year.

With that in mind, it probably would take an overpayment like this to get Voracek out of Philly, the guys a stud, and he's going to explode offensively in the next year or two. Still has the potential to be a PPG player who is very reliable defensively.

I'm sorry I don't think Hansen holds much value to most teams around the league. We get to see on a nightly basis what he brings to the Canucks but most people don't. The first will be a very low pick so it doesn't have a ton of value. Finally Luongo is great no doubt, everyone knows it, but Philly simply cannot take on that contract without moving Bryz out first. I don't see Philly even considering this unless something happened to Bryz and they started tanking with whoever was filling in. I think the Value is actually overpayment but I don't think Philly can do this.

edit: I think you both need mental help since you want to trade Hansen and Luongo.

That package is worthy of a high-class 1st line player but maybe not Claude Giroux.

I also think it would be worth a high % lottery pick no question, plus a prospect.

That draft pick could land us Mackinnon, or Drouin (who I think is actually going to turn out better than Mackinnon)

I'm sorry I don't think Hansen holds much value to most teams around the league. We get to see on a nightly basis what he brings to the Canucks but most people don't. The first will be a very low pick so it doesn't have a ton of value. Finally Luongo is great no doubt, everyone knows it, but Philly simply cannot take on that contract without moving Bryz out first. I don't see Philly even considering this unless something happened to Bryz and they started tanking with whoever was filling in. I think the Value is actually overpayment but I don't think Philly can do this.

edit: I think you both need mental help since you want to trade Hansen and Luongo.

Talent Analysis

Voracek is an explosive skater, with dynamic offensive ability. He is extremely strong on the puck and has great vision. He has a very good shot, but prefers the role of a setting up his line mates. An outstanding puck distributor, Voracek sees the ice very well and passes the puck to an open man with an incredible speed and accuracy. Has a very strong defensive presence as well. Is very close to the full package, and has the work ethic and joy of the game to continue improving.

In my opinion I would rather have this guy instead of Booth. 5 years younger, bigger at 6'3, 205lbs and makes a little less (4.25m) than Booth (4.5m). He should compliment Kesler quite nicely.

Luongo and Hansen are key components to this teams success. Hopefully there's another way to get him. Booth for Voracek? :P

No to trading Hansen.

Yes to trading for Voracek. He's the type of playmaking winger we desperately need to play with Kesler. But I imagine that Philly would be more interested in our D, particularly Edler. Possibly Edler for Voracek + Coburn?

I have to totally disagree with this. Teams have Pro scouts. Hansen is on a dirt cheap contract.

IMHO, If he were to be traded, say in a deadline deal, he could fetch a 2nd and a B+ prospect. Not insignificant.

Saying that, we'd be nuts to trade Hansen++ in a deal for Voracek.

ok 2nd and B prospect (like you say not insignificant - but Canucks are not rebuilding) Is that going to give the Canucks more than what Hansen does towards a Cup run? Imo that is still underpayment because it doesn't help the Canucks now. Please tell me who we could trade Hansen for straight up that brings more to the table than Hansen. Anyone come to mind?

I don't see any trade where Hansen goes that trading him will bring us back pieces to take us closer to the Cup. Hansen is part of that Stanley cup equation, yes we could give him up to acquire other pieces but it just leaves a void where he was. If I was GM it would take significant overpayment to pry Hansen off my roster.

Archived