460 replies to this topic

#61 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

riight... 2-3 games for a completely unintentional hit by a player going for a puck?? Not exactly sure how that computes in your head, but seriously. No.

Intent does not matter. If an elbow, shoulder, forearm, fist goes high and hits another player on the head, its a head shot.

I don't think Hansen intentionally hit Hossa in the head either. Hansen doesn't have a history for this type of stuff so I expect him to get a fine. Maybe a 1 game depending on Hossa's health status.

#62 Jinx_RK17

Jinx_RK17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

I really couldn't care less. The fact that Hansen is a clean player with no real history and never shows any intent to injure anyone because thats just not who he is. I don't even feel bad. After that Keith hit the Hawks are better off sitting on their hands and biting their tongues they have absolutely no room to speak.

Edited by Jinx_RK17, 19 February 2013 - 11:38 PM.

#63 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Pissed off at reading all this crap. Just a few of the comments too... (NHL.com) :

"He is threat to NHL players. Hansen is the Matt Cooke of the West!"

"..Tried to Knee Emery in the head after serving his TWO MINUTE penalty."

Well if he's in any way comparable to Matt Cooke then he should get off scot-free. Everyone always bends over backwards to rationalize that guy's behavior.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#64 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,379 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

POPULAR

Pissed off at reading all this crap. Just a few of the comments too... (NHL.com) :

The amount of morons on NHL.com is ridiculous. Comments like those make me want to throw up

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#65 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Only thing I can say is that Hanson will not have anything to wory about in a hearing... But did you see the hawks go after him for "nothing" I did. Somone tell AV to let his teammates stand up for the twins. Team toughness starts with the coach.

#66 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

In all honesty, it'll probably end up in SOMETHING. If that had happened to one of the Sedins, or Kes then the fans would be calling for the hitters head.

Now was there any intent? Not in my opinion, but it was still a reckless play.

#67 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

Intent does not matter. If an elbow, shoulder, forearm, fist goes high and hits another player on the head, its a head shot.

I don't think Hansen intentionally hit Hossa in the head either. Hansen doesn't have a history for this type of stuff so I expect him to get a fine. Maybe a 1 game depending on Hossa's health status.

I think your wrong about a number of things and this as well. ;)

He will get nothing as intent is a major factor. Players get hurt all the time by you logic any player who gets in the way of a clean hockey play the other player should get a suspension? Next...

#68 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,084 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

Trolling is a art.

aXmDa9t.gif

#69 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

That was pretty dirty lol

The head was the principle point of contact. He literally forearmed him in the back of the head..

2 games for sure

Posted Image

#70 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

I think your wrong about a number of things and this as well. ;)

He will get nothing as intent is a major factor. Players get hurt all the time by you logic any player who gets in the way of a clean hockey play the other player should get a suspension? Next...

Next? not quite yet...

If you highstick a player and cut him its a bigger penalty than if you high stick him and don't cut him. Intent doesn't matter.
If you elbow a player its a penalty, If you elbow a player in the head, its a head shot punishable by suspension.

Intent is very hard to prove, see Cooke vs Karlsson incident. But when it comes to head shots its a bit different. Head shots are a serious issue in all sports right now, particularly NHL and NFL. The league is afraid of a class action law suit. They are not going to sit back and take a chance on head shots.

Intent or no intent won't matter. Hansen's forearm/elbow came up and hit Hossa in the head from behind. NHL does not want that play in the game. I see a minimum of fine and maybe a suspension of 1 game.

Edit. And please do indulge me on the other things you find I am wrong about.

Edited by WHL rocks, 20 February 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#71 NuckleheadFan

NuckleheadFan

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

Didn't Hossa skate backwards into Hansen too?

#72 roland

roland

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ75H7gS0hc

I really couldn't care less. The fact that Hansen is a clean player with no real history and never shows any intent to injure anyone because thats just not who he is. I don't even feel bad. After that Keith hit the Hawks are better off sitting on their hands and biting their tongues they have absolutely no room to speak.

It's really sad when a player like Daniel gets nailed with a cheap-shot, it's nothing but cheers, but when a Hawk is tapped on an un-intentional play by a player that is off most peoples' radar like Hansen, he is all of a sudden the next Matt Cooke.

#73 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

Next? not quite yet...

If you highstick a player and cut him its a bigger penalty than if you high stick him and don't cut him. Intent doesn't matter.
If you elbow a player its a penalty, If you elbow a player in the head, its a head shot punishable by suspension.

Intent is very hard to prove, see Cooke vs Karlsson incident. But when it comes to head shots its a bit different. Head shots are a serious issue in all sports right now, particularly NHL and NFL. The league is afraid of a class action law suit. They are not going to sit back and take a chance on head shots.

Intent or no intent won't matter. Hansen's forearm/elbow came up and hit Hossa in the head from behind. NHL does not want that play in the game. I see a minimum of fine and maybe a suspension of 1 game.

Intent was pretty easy to prove on the Keith hit. Just sayin.
Posted Image

#74 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

Intent was pretty easy to prove on the Keith hit. Just sayin.

I agree. Their was nothing unintentional about what Kieth did. Can't stand that goof.

#75 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,081 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

That's all it takes for Hossa to get injured? Yikes. He's gonna have to be extra careful then, especially if he's against a physical team in the playoffs. Or he could just be embellishing.

And yea Hansen will get suspended for sure. The NHL won't want to risk losing all of their precious blackhawk bandwagon fans.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#76 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,379 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

That was pretty dirty lol

The head was the principle point of contact. He literally forearmed him in the back of the head..

2 games for sure

Uhh how? They were both reaching for the puck and Hansen's elbow unfortunately got the back of Hossa's head. Absolutey zero intent

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#77 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

Seems pretty accidental. Clearly not intentional. Shouldn't get anything, really.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#78 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

Uhh how? They were both reaching for the puck and Hansen's elbow unfortunately got the back of Hossa's head. Absolutey zero intent

So you're saying, Hansen had absolutely no idea where Hossa was. He had 0 clue where his head was.

BTW, Hossa was standing right in front of him lol. Then only reasonable excuse for him to use was he tried to grab the puck with his arm going past Hossa's ear but his head moved.. The argument "oh i didn't know his head was there" is just silly.

Posted Image

#79 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

No intent whatsoever, but I'm not surprised idiot craphawks fans act like Hansen tried to commit murder. If Hansen gets suspended, don't get mad at the people playing up conspiracy theories then, because there will be no excuse from the League if they make a botched call like that.
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#80 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,650 posts

Next? not quite yet...

The point of what I'm saying flew above you head by 10 feet, look up.

Hanson is trying to play a puck and has no intent, the review will be smarter then you and intent is always an issue. Show me one case that has ever landed in a suspension that a player was trying to play a puck and "without looking at another player (this is key)" that has landed in a suspension.

And do it quick because I'm off to bed soon.

Edit: and tell me what did cook get?

Edited by Nino, 20 February 2013 - 12:17 AM.

#81 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,062 posts

If this deserves 1 or 2 games....Keith deserved 20. :picard:

I agree

#82 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

If Hansen is suspended, I hope Princess Marian is hurt. He should be happy that Hansen isn't a goon.

If that was Jordin Tootoo, Hossa would have had his head taken off.

The way I see it, the Hawks kept Hossa off the ice to ensure action is taken against Hansen. You just watch, Hossa will play the next game for the Hawks.

Those refs didn't even call a penalty until Toews skated over and starting bitching at them. Somebody needs to put that kid on a stretcher.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#83 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaG4GSyQ-tQ
Where was the suspension on this one?

I guess your assessment is wrong.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#84 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

If Hansen is suspended, I hope Princess Marian is hurt. He should be happy that Hansen isn't a goon.

If that was Jordin Tootoo, Hossa would have had his head taken off.

The way I see it, the Hawks kept Hossa off the ice to ensure action is taken against Hansen. You just watch, Hossa will play the next game for the Hawks.

Those refs didn't even call a penalty until Toews skated over and starting bitching at them. Somebody needs to put that kid on a stretcher.

Hmm. I thought it was Maid Marian.

#85 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

Posted Image

Jannik "Macho Man" Hansen and his devastating elbow should now be feared by all who oppose us.
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#86 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

funny how chicago fans are getting all worked up about this but failed to see how duncan keiths hit was worth suspension

classic

i was at their hf board.. most are calling for 3-5 games..

#87 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

#88 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

Everyone's already getting super entrenched in how they view the play but I have 1 fundamental question:

1) Does anyone actually see contact to the head in the 3 views it was shot from? From the back it looks like Hansen's elbow hits Hossa between the shoulders. This looks like the initial and only significant contact. Can't tell what the glove is really doing but it does look just above head level. From the side Hansen's elbow still seems too low, and his forearm seems to contact Hossa but again, only after his elbow hits between the shoulders. From the top, Hansen again looks like he catches Hossa's upper back with his elbow and any forearm contact is almost non-existent as Hossa is already falling forward and turtling at that point.

Basically, I see 3 different angles that all complement each other, yet none that show contact until after Hossa's head is already thrown forward. Plus Hansen's begins outstretching his hand at the same time as Hossa but he looks to knock something far heftier than his hand which slows it down (likely his back, not his head). Nothing from that aside from Hossa's reaction, which seemed ill-timed, implies contact to the head.

#89 Qanux

Qanux

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

I'm gonna take off my homer glasses and say that the hit was reckless to say the least. If it had happened to Daniel, our reaction would probably be the same and calling it questionable. By no means is the play any worse than Keith's elbow because at least the puck was in the vincinity of the players involved. It looked to me that Hansen realized he couldn't have won the puck battle as Hossa had position on him and so he tried to take the body instead, but he was already in the upward motion so he contacted Hossa with whatever was maneuverable at that time, which happened to be his forearm and elbow to the back of Hossa's head.

By definition of the principal point of contact, it seems to fall within the premises of hits to the head. However, I do not think that there was intent to injure but rather a reactionary play to hinder the opposing player in a puck battle. Any disciplinary action should be light as Hansen does not have prior history and it appeared to be just a reckless hockey play.

Hope Hossa is alright.

#90 goneforever

goneforever

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

Hansen was hardly moving on his skates, I'm surprised Hossa flopped down onto the ice as though a high-speed elbow was slammed into his head. He's either a little too fragile to be playing hockey or embellishing like Captain Twinkle Toews.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.