The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen Gets A 1 Game Suspension

Crimson-JH

Hossa backed into an elbow while trying to catch a puck in the air. If players are responsible for their actions in a fast paced game with split second decisions then they may as well skate around the ice with their head down and if anyone hurts them then it's not their fault because the other players need to be more responsible.

If that was the case then shouldn't Cooke, who has a massive suspension history, get a suspension for his skate cut on Karlsson because he should be responsible for his skate? Or when a player dives for a puck and his skate comes up and cuts another player, is that suspendable. If this is the point we are getting to in this league then it is truly sad.

With the spotlight currently on head shots and the fact that while not intentional, it was a bit careless... I'd be ok with a fine/warning.

If they give him one game I'll be mildly miffed but grudgingly accept it due to the league's systemic idiocy with supplementary discipline.

Anything over that and I'll be :blink::mad::picard:

I hate to say it but I think Hossa took a dive. Stayed down to try and draw a call and after all his acting was 'forced' to go to the room because of NHL concussion rules.

Add in they were up 3-1 during the game, they probably felt hold him out and try and get your biggest rival a suspension.

The hit was completely a jump ball, both guys going for the puck and if you even look at Hansen's head he is squarely focused on the grabbing the puck. Add in Hossa backing into him there is NOTHING any player would have done differently.

It is not even reckless its an accident in a contact sport (hell that even happens in basketball!).

Chicago fans are some of the stupidest fans I have ever seen. If a Canuck or any player for that matter cheap shots another player, most rational people call a spade a spade and say yes it was bad, etc. I find american fans seem to just argue bc their player was hit vs looking at the play.

The same fans argued Duncan Keith's hit was clean when the puck was 20 feet away and he came from 25 feet with his elbow aimed straight at Daniel's head.

How Hansen can even have a meeting here is absurd. And I for one am tired of the refereeing in this league and players like whiny Toews.

As for the refs, what other professional league allows its refs to make 'make up calls' the following terms are constantly used in the NHL

1. Make up call

2. Even up

3. Marbles in the pocket

4. Losing control of the game

on and on

when do you hear this in football? baseball? basketball? Never right?

The NHL needs to start coming down hard on refs to make the RIGHT call, and not make a call based on any of the above terms. I've reffed, you can say the game is fast but if you've played it, reffed it, you know where and when issues happen. These refs are not missing calls, they are ignoring them and then making others up or cowering to fans and certain teams.

Its garbage and this season, across the board, not just Vancouver games, has seen probably the worst reffing I have witnessed in 30 years of watching the NHL (ex 2011 SCF).

Have you had a concussion before?

Sorry, Hossa is far from a "softy" - look how long he's been playing and still contributes.

The only "dive" I saw was by Kesler - and it was called - rightly so.

Kesler needs to focus on playing and not try to draw a penalty. We need him scoring goals.

Having watched the replay, Hansen either has really bad hand-eye co-ordination to catch that puck (he wasn't even close to an actual legitimate catching attempt with his hand), or he was leaning into the reach with the elbow after realizing he wasn't going to catch it and tried for the hit. Hate to say it, but its a bad hit, intentional or not. The other question is whether Hossa is really hurt as bad as he appeared to be. I suppose we'll find out soon enough whether her's out of the lineup next game, as a player with his history shouldn't be taking any risks.

Speaking of the intentional or not argument, its funny to watch and listen to the difference between the Sportsnet and Comcast play-by-play. The Sportsnet cast all feel its a clean play, while the Comcast analysts all use the "forearm shiver" term. Obviously its not nearly as cut-and-dry as the Keith hit on Sedin, but still, its a bad hit by Hansen.

take off the goggles. watch the play. watch hansen lunge in a striking motion. read his comments after.

yes, it was sneaky. and yes, it was intentional.

edit: @ deb

furthermore, have you ever seen anyone else injured while reaching for a puck, of all the thousands of times the same play has happened since the dawn of the game? I haven't. because the only way an injury happens on that play is if it's intentional. there isn't enough force in a reaching motion to concuss someone. that requires a deliberate strike.

I'm glad you've appointed yourself judge and jury. But I disagree with you. Fully. Completely. And he's concussed now? Where is the link to the report?

And, honestly, it's really being played up by Chicago sportswriters. Now he was knocked out by a vicious hit. Spare me.

I have no doubt it was accidental, and that Hansen was probably just reaching out for the puck, but he still needs to be aware of his body and his surroundings in plays like that.

I figure the league is aware that it wasn't intended as malicious, but I still think he will get a game or two.

Archived