The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

Don't give Lu away for a pending UFA. We can get a third line center through a separate trade.

If we can't get any roster players that help us, then just get better prospects. And we can use Luongo's cap space to fill in holes through other trades.

He's an outstanding young option imo.

Left handed on the draw - 54.4% in the faceoff circle (as a 22 year old!)

Only gets 43.1% ozone starts - still has good underlying numbers and an even +/-. 5 goals 8 assists.

He's not a big guy, but I could care less (imo, perhaps the best 3C in the NHL, Darren Helm, is exactly the same size as Ciziikas).

An RFA with another year at 900k.

Perhaps an ideal third line option, and already is one hell of a player imo, with a whole lot of potential to improve.

I'd prefer Cizikas and a 1st/prospect (Nelson, Neiderreiter) over what the Laffs are reportedly offering, anyday.

I first broke this rumour late last season(not to be a braggart, but...), apparently it's now resurfacing, pending AND intoxicating. After completing a stellar stint over in Europe, Van is said to be "hotly pursuing" Cristobal Huet-yes, it's amazing, isn't it..?

This breakthrough offers papers the potentially tantalizing headline: "Huet, Lou-Is In The News!"

Underpayment?

Another interesting tidbit (no insider info here) but their are a few more teams who are calling for LU. Lebrun in his article stated that two other eastern teams besides TO have called about Lu. Pierre Mcguire seemed pretty certain more than a few have seriously expressed interest in Lu as well. The return being discussed (according to Mcguire) a center, winger, goalie

Some interesting tidbits:

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: More on Toronto/Vancouver and Luongo, http://t.co/CmihugYWyv

Well you knew this story would get re-visited before Wednesday’s trade deadline.

The Toronto Maple Leafs and Vancouver Canucks have renewed trade talks on Roberto Luongo.

My TSN colleague Darren Dreger reported as much Friday, Damien Cox of the Toronto Star also had a story about it in Friday’s edition.

I did some of my own intel on Friday and here’s what I came up with:

Last week in Phoenix when the Canucks were in town there, Vancouver assistant GM Laurence Gilman met with his old pal and mentor Cliff Fletcher, senior adviser with the Leafs. Those two guys talk all the time but, on this occasion, Fletcher re-visted the Luongo dialoge with Gilman.

That conversation between Gilman and Fletcher sparked Vancouver GM Mike Gillis to follow up and phone Toronto GM Dave Nonis this past week to further explore those talks.

This in itself is a story because Gillis and Nonis, I don’t believe, have ever spoken to each other regarding any trade, as some ill-will existed after the former replaced the latter as GM in Vancouver. Usually it’s been other members of each front office communicating on Luongo, not Gillis and Nonis straight on. So that’s perhaps an important shift in this story.

Gillis and Nonis spoke this week and, while there’s no deal that’s imminent and there may never be a deal, it certainly appears there’s groundwork built here for the two teams to keep tabs on this until Wednesday.

Nonis has always kept interest in Luongo, whom he traded for in Vancouver when he was GM, but talks went silent between both clubs for quite a while until last week.

It was predictable both clubs would eventually circle back to each other, the Leafs always being the most obvious fit for Luongo.

One source told ESPN.com Friday that two other NHL teams have also called on Luongo over the past week. Though how serious that interest is remains difficult to ascertain.

As we touched on earlier this week, Calgary’s Miikka Kiprusoff is also of interest to the Leafs. What’s unclear is whether the Flames netminder would want a trade or not. The Flames need to figure that out with him before Wednesday. If `Kipper’ is up for it, I think the Leafs would explore that. He’s got only one year left on his deal compared to Luongo’s monster contract which runs through 2021-22.

Still, if the Canucks are willing to lower the price tag somewhat on Luongo, it could make for an interesting decision for the Leafs.

Luongo, 33, remains a top-flight netminder and should be for another 4-5 years.

The Canucks, of course, continue the search for a No. 3 center. Whether they can find that from the Leafs or use whatever they get from Toronto in a possible Luongo deal to get that No. 3 center, remains to be seen.

The real question is how we do after the 1st round.

So far I think only Corrado is the only one that looks great. Everybody else is a question mark. Historically we've been awful from the 2nd on, with less than a handful making The Show.

Archived