The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

Nilsson or Poulin MIGHT have a chance at a back up roll. Saying they deserve a shot at being a starter is crazy. Have we learned nothing from watching Washington or Columbus this year? These guys need to be groomed into a number 1 spot. How would you feel if we appointed Eddie Lack our starter last season, or Cory Schneider 4-5 years ago?

Most people likely would, but I wouldn't give that proposal the reality edge - and what we wind up with is a LW prospect and the need to move another blueliner (which you might have to include to get that return).

Surprised to see you also asking for Niederreiter and a center who is already a 50 point range nhl player (as well as Nabokov). That would be a significant return, but surprised you see that as realistic. Personally I think Nelson is better suited to our needs (in terms of physicality/3rd line C role, and contract/ELC cap hit), but Nielsen would do, if the Isles were willing.

A near perfect trade for us; Get Brad Boyes as the veteran rental with Nino and a first! Boyes is a legitimate sniper, physically competive and playing to keep his career; an upgrade on Higgins talent wise and a natural RW. If they'll include Nabakov, great!

He's playing great for them, but its not like they're planning a cup parade & if he's in their long term plans they can re-sign him this summer!

Better trade; Nino, Boyes and Harmonic for Ballard and Lou... Well, there are lots of hopeful suggestions here! :bigblush:

edit: And wait till the deadline; we would have a slew of wingers from which to score any centre or D at the right price...

I respect that worry regarding Boyes. He was a bargain pick up for the Islanders. (I called for us to look at him off season)

But he's not the meat in the deal, just the gravy > a depth journeyman right wing who potentially could play top 6 where match ups dictate someone bigger than Burrows, or more experienced than Kassian. The meat and real value is in Niederreiter and the 1st.

To me he is a RW version of Higgins. A perfect pick up if the value is elsewhere.

FTR, I don't see him as our centre solution, just depth RW. If we still need a centre (a valid question), we've loaded up wingers on both sides for a subsequent trade.

BUT; he also has a 43 goal season (more than any Canuck since the Mogilny/ Bure era), and in a different year over 70 points; no fluke! Not to mention 12 points in 16 games this year. He's not playing badly at all!

Boyes > Higgins!

edit: here we are game time in Dallas > Kass is in the doghouse for turnovers so AV is stuck bringing Weise up to play with Kesler and Higgins. WEISE! Nah, no need for a depth RW at all!

Oii! :picard:

Can't agree with you on this one CanuckSurfer. I don't see Boyes as ideal at all - it's been five years since he could be considered a 'sniper', he's not the physical player you suggest imo, when he is moved to center he's very weak in the faceoff circle, and his value was fairly evident in the UFA market when he was picked up as a budget depth forward. As a rental, he's even less worthwhile.

I don't see any point in moving sideways at best with Boyes, and I don't see him anywhere near as good as Higgins, let alone an upgrade.

Any deal that brings a b roster winger and not a center isn't "near perfect"imo, and I don't think it's as easy as you suggest to offer some spare wingers and hope to land a quality center at the deadline - centers are in far greater demand and will probably require overpayments.

You call that the near perfect trade, respect the doubt, and then want to facepalm someone else? OK CS.

Apparently you've forgotten Hansen already (facepalm that) - and the idea that Kassian is in a doghouse is pretty premature e.

Not against the idea of an additional RW (after a center) - but if it's Boyes... not interested (he was a sniper nearly a decade ago - that's great), but wasting value on a b rental (which is what he is now) - extra disinterest. And I have to wonder if you're sure you're talking about Boyes? He's about a steak bigger than Burrrows, and nowhere near as physical (Burrows threw 84 and 87 hits the past few seasons - Boyes threw 29 in 65 games, 11 in 22). He's nowhere near the boards/cycling nor the two way player that Burrows is, and before suggesting that he's an upgrade on Higgins, ask yourself how much interest there would be in Higgins as a UFA - would he have to settle for a million dollars on one of the worst teams in the NHL? (At least he could pad his stats with truckloads of ice time, playing top six minutes).

Anyway, if we're dealing with NYI, Okposo is more interesting.

But a center is a far greater priority - Boyes being the perfect roster addition is sure outta left field.

Yeah Okposo is a lot more exciting, but the value changes, no more Nino and a first as the body of the deal?

Because Islanders not giving up on two young RW's in one deal,one young guy max! And Okposo is not in a league as the signature acquisition compare to Nino; so I say Boyes as the toss in structures better for both teams.

Lose one RW and suddenly Weise is playing top 6. Lose a centre > Call up Ebbett. Not great, but not as bad as Weise.

Hey ON; you are right.

Face palm was un called for. My apologies!

And perfect trade; also correct. Does not solve all, so not perfect. Still a smart trade which still leaves us with asset's to deal with other issues.

You call that the near perfect trade, respect the doubt, and then want to facepalm someone else? OK CS.

Apparently you've forgotten Hansen already (facepalm that) - and the idea that Kassian is in a doghouse is pretty premature e.

Not against the idea of an additional RW (after a center) - but if it's Boyes... not interested (he was a sniper nearly a decade ago - that's great), but wasting value on a b rental (which is what he is now) - extra disinterest.

If we're dealing with NYI, Okposo is much more interesting.

But a center is a far greater priority.

Archived