The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

I find this highly unlikely, but maybe i'll be proved wrong. My overall feeling is Jonathan Bernier will be target before Schneider does, Younger, cheaper, almost as good of stats, only 30 games less and the biggest factor. He will cost much less to acquire.

I dunno man.. I got this feeling all teams interested in luongo are still too on the fence to give up something worthwhile, like mattias and 3rd hoping we make a desperate bite. Florida knows they can wait till the offseason if they want him so they hold off. Gillis can't take "mattias and a 3rd" or he looks like a fool. But if some deal that comes along for the kid that makes it look like he made a good hockey trade, he can play it off how he was a player they had targeted for a while and when he became available they jumped on it. Something like couturier or a hefty package he can play off like it was the best decision for the future of the club. I dunno could go either way but gillis is at a crossroad in his personal career with this goalie move. Does he want to leave a legacy of the bandaid luongo trade of 2013 or the splash of youth he risked his young star goalie for.

If he does nothing he looks like an idiot. If he trades luongo for a mediocre return he looks like an idiot. If he trades Schneider for couple good youngsters, he still has a chance to look like a hero... Don't get me wrong, It could still backfire, but won't be near as much backlash as if he doesn't knock a luongo trade out of the park after waiting this long.

The ball is in gillis court and the future of our franchise is at a major crossroads here. It's starting to get pretty exciting lol

Yeah I agree, I think Steckel could be added for next to nothing, or nothing at this point, since really all he is useful for is faceoffs, other than that he has been a disaster this season and a healthy scratch.

I agree on Franson, at the beginning of the year I was kinda interested but now I don't see him moving and I don't think we need him, Garrison has look really good on the right side.

This could be are chance though, we need to jump at Bozak+ (+ being a young guy like Frattin with another future) if we get the opportunity, then we can wrap this situation up and move on into the playoffs with a more rounded line-up.

Tbh I think that because this has dragged on for so long unless Gillis completely shocks the world and gets an amazing deal it is going to be a lose lose situation when it comes to critique on how the situation was handled and how long it took to get what he got. If for some reason Schneider was the one to go I think the backlash would be alot worse because of the perceived "promise" of the number 1 slot everyone seems to think was given to schneider

Steckel hasn't been very good this year - I'm not sure if his MCL has been the cause, but he's not playing very good hockey for some reason - he's being used in odd ways, is hardly seeing any ice time, and his faceoff % is off his norm, but I think he's a useful guy to have in the cupboard. I also doubt he's in his twilight years - he's only 30, he's in a contract season, and who knows what a change of scenery could do for him. Perhaps a few practices pitted against Manny would get him back into form... But not really important. Lapierre could probably handle the role just fine, with Pinizzotto on his wing - however, they're both right handed guys - Henrik actually took a short handed defensive zone faceoff tonight because it was on the left side...

Frattin is the part of a deal with the Leafs that I wouldn't compromise on.

Garrison has looked good on the right side - not surprising since he played so much and so well on Campbell's right side, and I like Ballard, but if we could add a natural right side guy and an RFA/cap friendly guy like Franson, I'd make the change.

Luo Ballard, Sauve and Rodin (if TO would want them)

Frattin, Franson, Bozak, Scrivens, 2nd.

That would depend on which goalie Buffalo would set their sights on. Schneider one would think but Darcy Regier is pretty maverick.

The obvious guys we'd be interested in would be Ott, Vanek, Myers....

It's MG, it's this time of year, and we are in an unusual situation, so I expect anything I think could happen to be way off base.

Maybe Schneider, but not Luongo while they still hold Miller.

My thought is they are going to do a semi re-build and not send off assets for a push, rather takes some years to establish a new core around there young players and some remaining veterans.

I don't think they are a great partner right now, maybe in the summer but who knows. Just my opinion either way.

Okay where and for who? It is great to suggest that but look at the team that might take Luongo and tell me who that player is, and if they would give that player up or not?

And if the price will be accepted or makes sense for us to do.

So what do you propose? Give me a team and a name here.

I'd like Logan Couture...It most likely will not be a direct trade with San Jose. So trading Luongo or Schneider for the highest return and then using that ammo to make the trade for Logan. Far to much focus is done on just strictly trading Luongo to a a set team, ie Florida, and getting the return player directly from that team. That really limits possible trade scenarios and limits returns also.

Archived