The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Would you trade Nicklas Jensen?**

carlweezer

That being said, if Gillis is entertaining the rumors of Kesler + Edler both leaving, then no, I keep Jensen and go with a full on youth movement, anchored by Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Luongo and the Sedin's to help mitigate the Oiler Effect.

It is about the only plan that really makes sense right now... had a good run with this core, but they couldn't get it done - but was great entertainment and was tons of fun! so close! I really blame injuries - in my mind that 2010-11 team should have won the cup....

But the time to get a center / winger for Kesler is over, you'd have to give up a ton. You really have to draft these players, so few of them are available in trade / free agency. It's almost impossible to pry a player away unless they are having down years (and you can get burnt doing that - aka Booth) or on a team that they want to leave so they get a chance at a cup... (ahem).... The only way to get 6 legit top-6 is to draft most of them, and make trades for players before they have reached their potential.

Jensen, Horvat, Shin, Gaunce, Fox.

Corrado

So we need a bunch more, but that is a good start (assuming that they don't all make it). Only way to really do it is a full youth movement and get a bunch of kids in here who have wheels, energy, and are in a good environment. We might miss the playoffs next year without Kesler and Edler (in addition to this year)... but with the D still relatively intact and the twins as mentors, you never know - depends on how the players dev and would be fun to see if any of them become impact players.

He's been good for 2 or 3 weeks all season and now all of a sudden he's untradable? He's scored 33 goals (1 every 3.54 games) and 12 assists (1 every 9.75 games) in 117 games (SWE + AHL). Is he even a top 100 NHL prospect? Of course I'd trade him if another team really valued him high.

Sure I'd be thrilled if he translated at the NHL level but you have to look at the whole picture, not just one stat from the SEL and a 2-3 week scoring streak in the AHL.

Save yourself the straw man act. Who said he's untradeable? What I said is that he's not going to be a principal in landing a player like Kane or Pavelski, but also that I doubt the Canucks would be looking to deal him regardless - he fits the needs of this organization very well - and moving prospects isn't exactly high among this team's priorities. Anyone can be dealt - but it's unlikely that Jensen is, and I'm fine with that - I'm certainly not prepared to underplay him as CDC wet blankets tend to.

Your "whole picture" is amusing. If Utica played 21 games in two or three weeks I might take you more seriously, but ironically you're attempting to subsitute some exagerations as if you're somehow correcting people's optimism here.

He had a great season as a teenager in the SEL, and now that he's healthy, he's had a couple months of lighting it up in the AHL. It is what it is.

I would certainly trade him for the right return. Nobody's untouchable and certainly not him.

That said, his value is not terribly high right now so it's doubtful he'd return much. As such his future potential is worth more to us than whatever paltry return we'd be likely to get for him.

That pretty much = him not going anywhere. Not because we won't trade him but because it would be poor asset management.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived