The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

does the canucks management kinda disrespect their players?

billabong

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i dont wanna start anything and dont come at me saying "canucks lost two games, calm down" but i have been pondering this for a very long time.

does the canucks management group disrespect their players?

exhibit 1) manny malhotra,

Dan Murphy@sportsnetmurph

Malhotra wouldn't say he asked for a trade when Gillis shut him down but he also told me he wanted to keep playing so read between the lines

if ur not gonna let him play and he still wants to play then trade him. i just find kinda weird how manny in all likelihood asked to be traded and they would rather him just practice and take up a roster spot.

exhibit 2) keith ballard,

when ballards career was floundering in previous years theywouldnt try to save him by finding him a new home....i know i know, who would take his 4.2m cap hit but there had to be a deal out there that made sense

exhibit 3) schneider and luongo,

they signed schneids to a 3yr/12m deal and declared him the starter and full time duties...a few months later luongo is still here and schneids patience is running razor thin (u only haft to watch a few seconds of his interviews to feel his frustrations, i feel for him) and when management is asked about it they just shrug their shoulders and say "we will deal luongo when we get the deal we feel he is worth, if we indeed choose to trade him". i am sure it is wearing on luongo but he isnt letting us see it as much as cory is and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that

goalies need flow, rythym and a schedule to get into a groove and how are you gonna do that when u play twice a week? trade luo and you will see the real schneids come through

maybe im just making something outta nothing but i just wanted to see what everyone thought

p.s the most patient man in hockey a.k.a cory schneider will say something to the media one of these days and its gonna send another shock wave through the organization...i guarantee it

The way that MG has handed the whole Manny issue has kind of bothered me. On one hand I think its awesome that they are willing to work with him to give him a job in this organization but if Manny really wanted to be traded, if he wants to play so badly that he just wants to play and there is no spot for him here, then I do not understand why they didn't just trade him. Then again if MG isn't pulling something fishy here (the timing of this whole thing just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth) and really did this for Manny's own good then I think he did the right thing. So I guess I am not sure, maybe they are treating their players wrong. Its really hard to say for sure without all the facts.

You raise this actually pretty well. But, this is business and the players have to understand that they are just part of the business. Some players keep on going like Ballard (i can't recall in instances where he seemed displeased) others are like Roy and Hodgson. Players get benched and demoted all over the league.

I don't think the canuck players are disrespected at all, look at the perks they get and how well they are taken care of outside of just hockey. Booth even said that the level of commitment from the organization is amazing compared to the Panthers.

Your signature is appropriate in this case. Something out of nothing.

• Malhotra said in his interview he knows Gilis has his best interests at heart - as a player and a human being.

• Ballard is decent depth for us and it wasn't like we were making him play poorly. The return would have been negligible if anything while he was playing bad, but we might be able to move him for something now.

• Schneider and his agent both understand this isn't a simple deal to make, and the depth is great in the meantime. Cory's still getting his fair share of games, and he hasn't quite shown he deserves more starts than Luongo yet.

gillis is a players GM, he loves his players and will go through a wall for them. Most teams and GM's wouldve sent manny to the AHL or bought him out same with raymond. Gillis shows loyalty to his players and it is well appreciated by the players or else they wouldnt be signing long term deals to stay here.

They sent manny to the best eye surgeon in the world to get him the best possible chance of a normal life. The rypien situation weighed heavily on MG and probably influenced him with manny. I think he was scared that if something did happen he would never forgive himself. I think he still wishes he couldve done more to help Rick even though it sounds like they did everything they possibly could. MG is the type of person to agonize over that and make sure he doesnt repeat the same mistakes.

So no they dont disrespect their players at all, now philadelphia who signs their players to long term contracts then jettisons them before their NTC's kick in that is disrespect.

I have also felt the same way. The canucks don't give a damn about their players unless it's part of the core - aka Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa, Kesler.

They won't touch those players, but everyone else is expendable. The reason is because MG plays money ball. He looks at stats, looks at +/-, looks at cap hit etc. His stats don't go past the number. This is the reason why players who sign or get traded here don't pan out. Unless they are specific to what the coach wants. There is little thought given in chemistry, how the players mesh with each other, and other intangibles. All those go out the window with money ball. Oh, they also low ball their players in the hopes of selling them to a cup.

And as long as they continue to do this, teams will be weary to come here. Prime example, look at how Samuellson was treated. All of a sudden, BOOM you are traded. Salo, despite the injuries and all those years of service, would have helped out tremendously, but he didn't get resigned. Torres was a great energy player, and one who sparks up a team, didn't get resigned. They tried to lowball him with little money and only a 1 year contract. We all know what happened to Hodgson and Ehroff.

So to answer your poll question, the canucks really do mean business when it comes to their players.

If MG truly cared about Manny's health to the point where he wouldn't let him play, then he wouldn't trade Manny to another team knowing he would be at risk still playing. He could have just washed his hands of the situation by trading him but he chose not to, showing he actually does care about Manny's health.

op i think u are right about this.. maybe they dont do it on purpose, just buisness side of hockey but in the last few years there are multiple instances..look at AV and hodgson, not to mention your examples... i bet zassian starts to get pissed off to that he gets benched for 3rd periods and ot, playin 5 mins a game.. also, i agree with u that sooner or later, coryy is gonna come out and say he is pissed off about the whole goalie situation.. hes clearly frustrated about it now, imagine if this continues for another 2 months?? we need to get rid of lou,, and if no trade is there then play him as a backup, give schnieds mulitple starts in a row regardless of if he has an off night.. thats the only way hes gonna get in a groove, get confidence, and start playing amazing.

He needs to sort out these issues before the end of the season. If not, then he has handled it poorly. Until then, nothing wrong has been done. No harm, no foul..

Manny will find a new home if he wants to, Ballard will be traded or bought out (sooner or later) and you'd better believe that Lu or Schneids will be traded sometime this season or after this season. Guaranteed.

I have also felt the same way. The canucks don't give a damn about their players unless it's part of the core - aka Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa, Kesler.

They won't touch those players, but everyone else is expendable. The reason is because MG plays money ball. He looks at stats, looks at +/-, looks at cap hit etc. His stats don't go past the number. This is the reason why players who sign or get traded here don't pan out. Unless they are specific to what the coach wants. There is little thought given in chemistry, how the players mesh with each other, and other intangibles. All those go out the window with money ball. Oh, they also low ball their players in the hopes of selling them to a cup.

And as long as they continue to do this, teams will be weary to come here. Prime example, look at how Samuellson was treated. All of a sudden, BOOM you are traded. Salo, despite the injuries and all those years of service, would have helped out tremendously, but he didn't get resigned. Torres was a great energy player, and one who sparks up a team, didn't get resigned. They tried to lowball him with little money and only a 1 year contract. We all know what happened to Hodgson and Ehroff.

So to answer your poll question, the canucks really do mean business when it comes to their players.

Archived