The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Volpatti CLAIMED by Caps

Strombone1

Those aren't the only options even if you make the assumption that the team didn't know Kesler was hurt (they did know or could have waited a day to make this move to confirm Kesler's condition).

You could have simply sent Schroeder down for a day to open up the spot (he is not subject to waivers). Then you could have activated Pinizotto... sent him on conditioning stint and recalled Schroeder in plenty of time for the next game.

The only reasonable answer is that they assumed Volpatti would clear.

If several teams put in claims you could have traded him for a 5th rounder or something.

Makes no sense unless there is a larger picture happening. Who do we have that is better for that role right now? Do we now not put Pinizotto on a conditioning stint as we need him in the lineup right away?

Holy hell, this is rather sad CDC. We lost VOLPATTI, and now suddenly everyone is on the hate MG train. Oh wait, everyone was already on that train, but knowing this fan base it's only going to take one trade to make him the best GM in the league again.

Weise is 3yrs younger and already has twice as many games under his belt as Volpatti. And he was drafted. Volpatti wasn't as is very fortunate that the Canucks gave him a shot.

Weise isn't all that great now, but he technically can pan out. While Volpatti never will. It's retarded to say Weise has zero upside. Heck, put him with the twins on the power play and he's the next Taylor Pyatt. lol

Waive a 13th forward and people go nuts... unbelievable. The only reason people even give a rat's ass is because he's a BC native and yes, he always gave it his all.

Other than being a good hitter and a decent fighter? Nothing. Most of the time was lost in his own zone and couldn't make a play to save himself.

Weise may not be as good a fighter but offensively and defensively speaking he is markedly ahead.

I am not convinced Schroeder is waiver exempt. Waiver rules have changed, for instance, there are no ore recall waivers.

http://www.mcsorleys...ules-explained/

Someone care to show me how I am not understanding Schroeders situation?

He played AHL & NHL games

09-10 (11) Manitoba

10-11 (61) Manitoba

11-12 (76) Chicago

12-13 (30) Chicago

12-13 (17) Vancouver

Total (195)

He was exempt for 160 games

I really dont understand this move. rather give a roster spot to a player who hasn't played one NHL game and has had two major shoulder injuries in the past 2 years over a fan favourite, guy who has the reputation of being everything that we have looked for in a fourth line player.

Sigh the sheer stupidity MG continues to conjure.

He can pan out, but I seriously doubt it. I see a guy who admittedly tries very hard, but the skill just isn't there. I know it happens occasionally, but rarely do players suddenly 'break out' from 4th liner to something better at 24. I just think we need role players on the 4th line, and Weise while he tries to fight a lot.. just doesn't fit that role.

I really hope MG knows what he's doing, because to me, it looks like we just gave away our main fighter for nothing.

I am not convinced Schroeder is waiver exempt. Waiver rules have changed, for instance, there are no ore recall waivers.

http://www.mcsorleys...ules-explained/

Someone care to show me how I am not understanding Schroeders situation?

He played AHL & NHL games

09-10 (11) Manitoba

10-11 (61) Manitoba

11-12 (76) Chicago

12-13 (30) Chicago

12-13 (17) Vancouver

Total (195)

He was exempt for 160 games

No. IR can be put on once a player is injured or even retroactively. Otherwise a team couldn't make a roster spot available to bring in a replacement.

You may be thinking of the minimum time where he'd then have to stay on IR, which is 7 days, so it can't be a minor injury where he could return in 2 or 3 days. Sometimes if teams aren't sure how long a player will be out, they'll wait and then put them on retroactively to the start of the injury to allow for the extra roster spot. New Jersey just did this with Brodeur.

Archived