38 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,752 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

It's stories like this that make me question what we are doing as a society...

Teachers at a school my wife was TOC'ing at, were talking about a couple of incidents.
The first was, a student punched a teacher in the face - for no reason.
Instead of the student being reprimanded - suspended - the board came down on the teacher and questioned why they were close enough to a student for them to get punched.

The second was where a student picked up a chair and threw it at a teacher - but missed,
Instead of the student being reprimanded - suspended - the board came down on the teacher and said "lucky you ducked".

Wow.

In my day, if a student did that - they were expelled.
Students respected teachers.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#2 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Kids aren't innocent. Kids are vicious little monsters.

I'm not really surprised by the reaction though. These days if a kid gets a bad mark, its the teachers fault for not doing a good enough job.

Edited by CAPSLOCK, 28 February 2013 - 08:46 PM.

"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#3 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Disgusting really. My Mom's a teacher and she tells me stories like this all the time. Spoiled little bas*****. Glad I turned out okay though.

#4 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

You need a license to drive a car, to hunt a deer, even to own a dog ......... but there is no law stopping idiots from breeding.

The parents of the kids in question should be publicly flogged.

Not all kids are bad apples. Here's a nice story for a little balance.

#5 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

As a teacher, I say, "Where is the freaking Union on this?"

We don't have the whole story or know any history, so, there has to be more to it if the teacher was reprimanded. It's not the job of the board to reprimand teachers.

As a member of our Health and Safety Committee, I would also have these teachers file a Violent Incident Report. These kids are a safety issue for staff and students alike. From the report, a Safety Plan would have to be constructed and implemented for each of these kids. One of my recommendations would be to have these kids do their program at home via correspondence / Directed Learning.

Finally, bring in the RCMP. These are clearly 2 cases of assault, one straight up and one attempted. Charge the little bastards.

Our profession sure doesn't come with the built-in respect it once did. I believe we need to earn the kids respect, and vice-versa, but having chairs thrown at me and getting punched in the face were not what I signed up for 15 years ago, that's for sure!

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#6 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Sense of entitlement that is taken for granted (which is ofen fuelled by adults).

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#7 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

Assault is assault. Call the cops

This didn't happen in my day when the parents were on the teachers side.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#8 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Assault is assault. Call the cops

This didn't happen in my day when the parents were on the teachers side.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Posted Image

Today's parent's seem to want to do everything opposite to what their own parents did. I wonder if that theme will continue with the next generation.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#10 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Every day I find more and more reason not to have kids. Not that I believe I would be a bad parent, I just dislike what society has become and don't want to have to compete with it and the media.

Ugh.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#11 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Like kids haven't been messing with teachers for generations. This is obviously an extreme example. My great uncle would get the strap, and would always quickly move his hand out of the way, causing the teacher to hit herself. This was in the 1930's. People who are disrespectful for no reason have existed since the beginning of civilization.

#12 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Like kids haven't been messing with teachers for generations. This is obviously an extreme example. My great uncle would get the strap, and would always quickly move his hand out of the way, causing the teacher to hit herself. This was in the 1930's. People who are disrespectful for no reason have existed since the beginning of civilization.

Its not that kids are disrespectful, its the way people are handling it.

Edited by CAPSLOCK, 28 February 2013 - 09:56 PM.

Posted Image

#13 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Like kids haven't been messing with teachers for generations.  This is obviously an extreme example.  My great uncle would get the strap, and would always quickly move his hand out of the way, causing the teacher to hit herself.  This was in the 1930's.  People who are disrespectful for no reason have existed since the beginning of civilization.

You're saying your uncle was disrespectful for no reason? Why you disrespectful little bastardo.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#14 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,932 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Don't blame the kids, blame the system that allows it.

#15 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

Don't blame the kids, blame the system that allows it.

Spot on. The problem probably lies upstream though, considering how their parents should also be taught the proper disciplinary skills. I mean this stuff's getting ridiculous; sure some parents permit it, but at a PUBLIC SCHOOL? and the TEACHER gets blamed? Might as well say "boys will be boys"... :picard:

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#16 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,575 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Back in the day I think schools were going too far the other way. They were reprimanding kids for every little thing while refusing to acknowledge that perhaps it was the fault of the teacher or maybe that their approach might just have been wrong.

Now they are overcompensating by being far too lenient.

I always believe that what a parent or a teacher could not teach these kids, life will teach them someday. And that lesson will be painful...but they'll never forget it. Life is meant to teach us that we're not entitled to anything unless we earn it.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#17 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

Back in the day I think schools were going too far the other way. They were reprimanding kids for every little thing while refusing to acknowledge that perhaps it was the fault of the teacher or maybe that their approach might just have been wrong.

Now they are overcompensating by being far too lenient.

I always believe that what a parent or a teacher could not teach these kids, life will teach them someday. And that lesson will be painful...but they'll never forget it. Life is meant to teach us that we're not entitled to anything unless we earn it.

Hit the nail right on the head. Of course the attitudes we have today certainly don't help. Every kid is a unique, special snowflake and everyone gets a medal. It doesn't prepare them for the fact that that isn't how the real world works.
Posted Image

#18 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

We're doomed :frantic:

RIP LB RR PD

#19 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

Those who withhold the rod hate their children, but the one who loves them applies discipline. ~ Proverbs 13:24 (Common English Bible)

Amirite???

NOTE: SARCASM ALERT
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#20 Ovech Trick

Ovech Trick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

Ban teachers.
Posted Image

Capitalist Hockey League - Minnesota Wild GM

#21 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

I cannot stress this enough. "Those who criticize our generation forget who raised it."

Parents, yes I'm talking to you, stop buying your kids butt fcking everything from ipads to laptops to cell phones just so they'll stop whining.

We're growing up in a world where technology is becoming like a second home for kids.

What ever happened to discipline? No I don't mean take away there phone for 2 days. I mean making to take it to the driveway and smashing it into pieces.

You point one finger, there's 3 pointing back.

nite
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#22 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

I'm friends with quite a few teachers and all I can say is that the problems in school seem to be getting worse and worse. I don't know where it's all breaking down, but I can't believe the stories I hear. Kids threatening other kids and teachers and then acting on it. Parents excusing their child's behaviour. Kids not getting the accurate reprimands warranted. Hell in a hand basket, I swear!
Posted Image

#23 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

Those who withhold the rod hate their children, but the one who loves them applies discipline. ~ Proverbs 13:24 (Common English Bible)
Amirite???

NOTE: SARCASM ALERT

omg bible reference and school combined oh the horror!! :o

Edited by Argon, 01 March 2013 - 12:12 AM.

Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#24 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

A lot of it is a result of us becoming an "instant-gratification" society. Children learn to get what they want right away, and if they don't get it, they act out. As well, learned behaviours they garner from online experiences then translate to the real world. All the internet "trolling" and bad behaviour is showing up on the playground.

Parents are mostly to blame, and that also comes from a society that would rather put toys and iphones in their children's hands than actually do any real parenting and spending time with their children.

RIP LB RR PD

#25 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

that sounds horrible heretic. hopefully your wife can get a permanent position in a nice school soon. TOCing is so not the life.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#26 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Timmy gets hurt on playground equipment...

Past:
Parents dealt with it.

Today:
Parents sue, as a result, monkey bars are becoming extinct.

Timmy misbehaves, at school and at home.

Past:
Timmy was punished, and knew that he was punished.

Today:
Who knows...

Timmy gets an F.

Past:
It was Timmy's fault.

Today:
It was the teacher's and school's fault.

These are 3 examples of what is wrong. And people without kids have to suffe through it.

#27 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

It really is surprising. When my wife comes home, I find it absolutely terrible what kids can get away with now. And it's not only what they can get away with, but that they you can't really hold a kid back anymore. My wife has said that she has a student that has only come to 36 days of class so far this year, and she won't be allowed to hold him back. I remember having nightmares because I was having a difficult time in science in grade 7, thinking I would be held back if I didn't pass. This was motivation enough to try harder and get a good grade.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#28 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 16,073 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

I cannot stress this enough. "Those who criticize our generation forget who raised it."

Couldn't have said it better myself. The kids aren't the problem. Kids have always and always will occasionally step out of line.

It's the adults response to that behaviour that is the problem these days (and no, I'm not talking about the teachers who are ultimately powerless in this regard).

Edited by J.R., 01 March 2013 - 03:53 PM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 74Hunter74

74Hunter74

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

Posted Image

http://www.calgaryhe...8969/story.html

Physics teacher Lynden Dorval was suspended for handing zeros to students for uncompleted assignments.
In doing so, he defied the practice at his Edmonton school, but argued steering clear of zeros does nothing to benefit students and simply inflates marks.

Posted Image

And my favorite shirt lol

#30 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,222 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

As a teacher, I say, "Where is the freaking Union on this?"

We don't have the whole story or know any history, so, there has to be more to it if the teacher was reprimanded. It's not the job of the board to reprimand teachers.

As a member of our Health and Safety Committee, I would also have these teachers file a Violent Incident Report. These kids are a safety issue for staff and students alike. From the report, a Safety Plan would have to be constructed and implemented for each of these kids. One of my recommendations would be to have these kids do their program at home via correspondence / Directed Learning.

Finally, bring in the RCMP. These are clearly 2 cases of assault, one straight up and one attempted. Charge the little bastards.

Our profession sure doesn't come with the built-in respect it once did. I believe we need to earn the kids respect, and vice-versa, but having chairs thrown at me and getting punched in the face were not what I signed up for 15 years ago, that's for sure!

Fighting to keep the older teachers employed past their due date making it near impossible for new teachers to enter the market?

That said if parents don't teach their kids not to act out violently teachers shouldn't have to deal with that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.