The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When is it time to panic? Canucks are 3-5-1 in last 9 games

DonaldBrashear

Yes but we also chucked in a half decent D in Sulzer and took a complete no mark called Gragnani off their payroll.

That said I still think Kassian will eventually turn good for us..........he's only 22.

After beating LA, everyone was on a high and now, one night later, ridiculous travel, rested Calgary, depleted team with injury and you are talking panic?

The regular season is a trial run for the playoffs. Especially with a 48 game short season. So, even if they Canucks slide in the last playoff spot, they are still in the playoffs and a possiible Stanley Cup contender.

Panic would be Chicago and Boston. Can they really keep this high tempo up all the way to the end. I don't think so!

Nobody is going to give us anything for Luongo. If we're looking for a multi-peice high end deal it will be Schneider that has to go, but I doubt that will happen, nor should it.

I'm sad to say I think AV's time in Vancouver is coming to an end. I'm a huge AV fan but our game has started to fall apart lately in our own end and for whatever reason AV seems reluctant to adjust his systems to compensate.

I'm not ready to say die yet, but I think by season's end we will make the playoffs but I don't see us making it passed the first round unless we get hot near the end of the season. Either way I'm actually fine with not being as good of a regular season team. It's meant nothing in the past. The team needs to focus on their game plan and fill a few of our holes.

For example:

I really like the Higgins, Raymond, Hansen line but we need either Raymond to step up in the face off circle or find a more reliable natural center. That being said, aside from that one issue I think Higgins-Raymond-Hansen could solve a lot of our problems with being top-9 heavy and I've loved what I've seen from them. It essentially sorts out the concerns I've been having with our forward lineup without having to disassemble part of our core. I still don't like that we lost Volpatti but I like Sestito from what I've seen.

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Raymond-Hansen

Sestito-Lapierre-Weise/Pinizotto

I like that Booth and Kassian seem to have chemistry though I hate how little Booth passes. There was one play off the rush that Booth had the puck and Kassian was open while crashing the net but rather than pass Booth decided to take a weak shot on a pretty bad angle while being covered.

panic is the wrong word. When is it time for a "change"

Time for a change is when the players show a lack of drive or motivation to play 60 minute games. Sitting back on leads for long periods of times is never good.

A "change" with the head coach is what I think this team needs. And if that doesnt work and we still fail in the playoffs, then these core players who have been here for years need to be broken up as they just cant get it done

'Panic' is the wrong word. It implies rash action without careful consideration.

'Concern' is the question at this point. Action needs to be taken if the Canucks want to be more than a middle-of-the road team but clearly trading Luongo for a bag of pucks is not helpful for the team, so I would classify that as a rash action and not a carefully considered one.

Firing AV (as much as I would love to see it) doesn't seem prudent considering he was just extended and he survived a ten game losing skid a few years back...there is no justification to do it after an 11 win start.

As for those who say 'wait until the playoffs', however, I saw that same attitude last season. People dismissed the concern element saying the Canucks would place it into second gear in the post-season. (How did that turn out again?) So standing pat doesn't seem wise either. So yes, time to be concerned for sure, but acting rashly isn't the answer.

Thank you and goodnight.

The current team is very similar to the team that won the President's trophy last year, so it might be a bit early to panic.

However, Minny and Edmonton have improved and winning the Division is not a lock.

However, the big moves that might shake things up are probably not very appealing right now. I think the Canucks would get very little for Luongo or Ballard in a trade as teams are not keen to take on salary with the cap coming down next year. Luongo's hot streak is over and Ballard just provides nowhere near the performance to justify his cap hit.

The other "big move" that might be out there would be to fire AV, but that is not going to happen until after the season at the earliest.

Archived