The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Edler Given Up?

Bagofcats

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To answer the OP, NO.

Edler is struggling right now which is something we have seen throughout his career. He needs to play through it and gain back some confidence.

The reality is that some people thought he was going to be a Norris trophy defenseman. I for one, did not. I'm not surprised at his struggles or his inconsistency. He is still a pretty solid d-man when he is on his game. Hopefully he starts playing with some more confidence and picks up his physical game.

Another overrated player. Not saying he's bad or anything.

He's only looked good beside Ehrhoff and Salo......kind of sad for our highest paid d-man, but that's Gillis's specialty, overpaying or getting overpaid players.

Not sure what's taking him so long to get a puck moving defenceman to play with him since that's the only way he plays well.

Gillis should go back to being an agent.

Another overrated player. Not saying he's bad or anything.

He's only looked good beside Ehrhoff and Salo......kind of sad for our highest paid d-man, but that's Gillis's specialty, overpaying or getting overpaid players.

Not sure what's taking him so long to get a puck moving defenceman to play with him since that's the only way he plays well.

Gillis should go back to being an agent.

Edler has worked his A off to get to this level. A man like that doesn't just give up.

He deserves and has earned some patience from the coaching staff.

He sacrificed his back for god sake.

That could still be an issue, who knows.

You are all the same people that bashed Raymond too I bet.

Edler was never meant to be an offensive-defenseman.

He's the perfect shutdown defenseman, but since the departure of Ehrhoff, we have to put him in an offensive role. Yeah, he gets points, but how many points can be actually get by himself without the Sedins? Guys like Campbell, Doughty, Lidstrom could all get points by themselves on the powerplay. They are the reason the powerplay runs, and without them it's terrible. Edler isn't that guy, Henrik's that guy. Edler will also never be able to quarterback a powerplay efficiently.

Said this a million times, letting Ehrhoff walk was the worst decision MG has ever made. Ehrhoff is exactly what this team needs in the backend right now. That guy understood how to get the puck on net, and he knew what he had to do to score and get points. Edler is simply a guy that relies on the Sedins, whereas Ehrhoff had a rocket and could QB his very own PP unit if he wanted to.

Torres walking was also silly.

Alexander Edler used to be a great defencemen with a lot of upside a few seasons ago but somewhere between then and now he has stopped improving. He's a below average skater, struggles with inconsistency and has poor coverage in the defensive zone. This much is not my opinion. This is obvious if you watch him throughout the game.

As parts of his offensive game improved over the last few years, those did not. How can such glaring weaknesses be ignored by him and the coaching staff? For a 1-2 defencemen on an elite team to have such problems is confusing and frustrating. He seems like he lacks focus and determination, sometimes even to the point of looking lost out there. I expect more from the soon to be highest paid defencemen on the team. If Edler is going to get 5 mill doesn't that mean Hamhuis deserves at least 6 since he is better at the position in almost every way?

Why haven't these parts of Edler's game improved? Does he not care that he is so easily exploited by other teams' forwards? A +/- of 0 when you lead the defence in points is concerning. I sure hope he turns it around. It's getting really hard to wear his jersey in public when there are fewer and fewer positives to say about him.

This is the first year off an injury, and surgery. Serious surgery.

It won't be until next year that he starts playing like he can again.

Same pattern with Raymond - first year back, you are a bit nervous about it, even if you try not to be. 2nd year back to normal.

So we play him and hope by the playoffs he is feeling normal, but probably won't happen until next year.

I don't think Edler has given up. I just think he needs to focus more and cut down on the carelessness in his game. Fundamentals like crisp passing, clearing the zone, quick decision making etc all seem escape him at the worst times. I wonder if there's a lingering injury as well. He was the biggest part of the reason why we lost to LA last year in my opinion. If it is just a mental problem maybe a new coach would help him. Maybe he should sit for a game or two as well.

Turnovers, bad passes (that often put the recipient at risk of getting pasted), bobbling the puck at the blue line, wild shots and terrible all round hockey sense. I'm sure there must be something else going on.

Archived