33 replies to this topic

#1 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

Saw this on HF and of course it was deleted, as Josh Gorges has not confirmed at this point. CDC may or may not do the same. Various sources on the internet have this as a substantial, likely upcoming event however.

http://www.chicagonow.com/mayor-daily/2013/03/nhl-player-coming-out-first-gay-athlete-666/

One of the biggest remaining glass ceilings in professional sports may be coming down this week if rumors out of Montreal are to be believed.

Gay community blog Queerty is reporting that a NHL player will come out this week as the first openly gay athlete in the Big 4 North American professional sports leagues. The rumored player is defenseman Josh Gorges of the Montreal Canadians. The 7-year veteran has racked up 12 goals, 67 assists, and 235 penalty minutes for the Montreal Canadians and San Jose Sharks

I say good for him in trying to eliminate this stigma in pro sports. But the attention gathered from this may have an effect on Montreal's surprisingly good season. Esp. since it's a killer microscope hockey environment in the first place. We'll see.

The question would be if others follow his lead.
Posted Image

#2 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

If it's true, this is amazing. A truly proud moment for our sport.

Whoever he is, full support for him in what might end up being a rough time. But I have a feeling he'll be pretty relieved, and hopefully the boys on his team have his back.

dontforgettolentil.png

#3 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Why speculate who it is? If the rumor is true then it pretty much isn't really Gorges coming out on his own as everyone now has it in their mind who it is. I mean if it is and he does fantastic but again, not really on his own terms per se.

#4 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

I think this is something that's best not to guess about. Wait until/if someone does come out and then congratulate him on having the amazing, awe inspiring amount of courage required to do so. Until then, speculation may only paint someone as something they are not, and that's every bit as unfair to do to someone who isn't gay but people are led to believe is as it is to force gay people to let/lead people to believe they aren't.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#5 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

BS

He's engaged to his Girlfriend

#6 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

BS

Many homosexuals have kids and wives... I personally know one who had a wife ans has two kids.

Good on jorges... its not a big deal to me though. Its 2013 we aren't rednecks and its not frowned upon to have different sexual orientation

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

#7 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

Great on him, if true,

#8 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

My guess would have been Danny Briere.
Posted Image

#9 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Patrick Burke @BurkieYCP

Hey @Queerty . Josh Gorges just got engaged, to a woman. Maybe next time don't write a story based off a random twitter account, assholes.

Burke knows some gay NHL players according to his Reddit IAMA, so... Not Gorges.

#10 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,763 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

If he hasn't come out yet, why are people outing him?
Derp.

Edited by oldnews, 08 March 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#11 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

it's probably some big burly man thats over 6 foot 5.

Edited by мцт вяздк чф, 08 March 2013 - 01:11 PM.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#12 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

If he hasn't come out yet, why are people outing him?
Derp.

great question!
Posted Image

#13 Magikal

Magikal

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

I'm still waiting for the day where nobody cares about someone's sexuality and stuff like this doesn't get reported. It's great that we are becoming more accepting of people's differences and all but the day we all just stop caring who is attracted to whom, that is the day we have truly evolved past this crap.
Posted Image
Credit to Lahey.

October1st,2013. #HistoryWillBeMade

#14 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

So he's engaged to a woman? Then what the hell is this?

Looks like we're going to have to wait a bit longer. I for one think this stigma will exist in sports for a LONG time.
Posted Image

#15 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Looks like we're going to have to wait a bit longer. I for one think this stigma will exist in sports for a LONG time.

Yeah, who wants to shower with a gay guy watching you. lol. :emot-parrot:

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#16 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,687 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Good for him if true he'll be a true pioneer in professional sports and gay rights, but it doesn't sound like he came out yet so I do not agree with the blog or this thread for outing him before he's made his announcement

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#17 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,126 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

I think this is something that's best not to guess about. Wait until/if someone does come out and then congratulate him on having the amazing, awe inspiring amount of courage required to do so. Until then, speculation may only paint someone as something they are not, and that's every bit as unfair to do to someone who isn't gay but people are led to believe is as it is to force gay people to let/lead people to believe they aren't.

Agreed 100%. It's in extremely bad form to speculate in the media about someone's sexuality. You'd think a LGBT mag would know that as well as anyone. Outing someone in the media, accurate or not, is hugely insensitive to the person.

I was just thinking, and I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts on this, that there might be more gay players in the NHL today than there ever has been. As a % of population the numbers won't have changed but for young men surrounded by the machismo and aggression of the hockey rink over the decades it has been a hostile environment for gay men to be around. Although still highly problematic compared to most sectors of society, the general populace and the newer generations are becoming more and more accepting of the reality of sexual differences. This change in public attitude, I speculate, has likely helped make the hockey world a place that would encourage gay men not to quit a game they love as easily as they would have in the past.

Edited by theminister, 08 March 2013 - 02:12 PM.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#18 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

You would think the gang community (I'm referring to Qeerty) would be more sensitive to the fact that they are (a) speculating about someone's sexuality .and (B) potentially outing someone without allowing that person to have a say.

I don't care who the player is, congrats to them for standing up and helping the league get passed the stigma of homosexuality.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#19 S.Mouse!

S.Mouse!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

BS

RIght, there's no way a gay man would marry a woman...
Posted Image

:bigblush:
Posted Image

#20 derr12

derr12

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

Maybe he's like Freddy Mercury as in he likes the ladies AND the fellas? Either way, who gives a crap. what does someones sexuality have to do with hockey?

Edited by derr12, 08 March 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#21 S.Mouse!

S.Mouse!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

This is not a proud day as many of you have said.

Because of this speculation, Gorges will have to answer the "are you gay" question. If he denies it, but is gay, then he's pushed into the closet. If he admits it and is gay, then he was outed by the media, not on his terms. And if he is not gay, he will still be questioned about his sexuality by the media and mocked by redneck fans like the ones who threw a banana at Wayne Simmonds.

This kind of speculation is reckless and stupid. A Gay website should know better.

Edited by S.Mouse!, 08 March 2013 - 03:05 PM.

Posted Image

#22 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

whoever is reporting this is completely irresponsible and insensitive. let whoever they are come out on their own terms. what is wrong with people?

and this banter about gay people in showers is exactly part of the reason gays are afraid to come out to teammates. do you think gays are attracted to every member of the same sex? do you think they can't control themselves? do you think they go to the showers to lust over teammates? think they haven't had to deal with showering with members of the same sex for their whole life and learned how to deal with it?

grow up
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#23 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,079 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

If people can act mature in this thread, I'd like to keep it open because it's an important issue.

You know what? It's time that a player came out. And if their fellow opponents had any self respect they won't use that as trash talk material during games. It takes incredibly strong willed people to come out. They deserve heightened respect for it. And it would be a huge step forward for hockey and for pro sports in general. It's time.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#24 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

My guess would have been Danny Briere.

Posted Image

My guess.

Edited by MaximYapierre, 08 March 2013 - 04:33 PM.

/=S=/

#25 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

Good for Gorges is this is true. Lets just hope that the Canadiens locker room treats him the same, as with other teams if he ends up getting traded sometime down the road. We all have probably worked with someone who's sexual orientation prefers the same sex sometime in our lives, whether it was at a fast food joint or your career job. The situation shouldn't change because a co-worker had the courage to come out of the closest one day.

I guess the good news too for Gorges is he speaks French, so the Habs fans are ok with him as that seems to be a bigger issue in Quebec these days.

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#26 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,549 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

If people can act mature in this thread, I'd like to keep it open because it's an important issue.

You know what? It's time that a player came out. And if their fellow opponents had any self respect they won't use that as trash talk material during games. It takes incredibly strong willed people to come out. They deserve heightened respect for it. And it would be a huge step forward for hockey and for pro sports in general. It's time.

This isn't a player coming out. It's just another person being outed. S.Mouse! was on the mark for this one. That website needs to be 4chan'd for making such a boneheaded move.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#27 Froggy Fresh

Froggy Fresh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

My guess.

Posted Image

My guesses.

Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!

#28 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

This thread should be locked. People are picking players that they don't like and are suggesting that they are the player who they think is gay. In doing so, they are equating homosexuality with something 'bad'.

I also think its bad taste for anyone to speculate on who they think is the gay NHL player. Homosexuality is a sexual orientation. It has nothing to do with personality or physical appearance. We have no way of determining who is gay based on observations of a person's appearance. Since we know nothing else, we should all just shut up about it.

Edited by Down by the River, 08 March 2013 - 07:23 PM.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#29 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 24,568 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Its Crosby

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#30 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 13,126 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Posting these picks need to stop. Do you think that what you are suggesting is derogatory?

It's not funny and these actions are the perfect example of why homophobia is a problem in sports.

Being a gay hockey player doesn't make them less in any regard to straight hockey players. For one, you know they are mentally tough as well as being a world class athlete.

Edited by theminister, 08 March 2013 - 07:32 PM.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.