The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whats wrong with TANKING the season?

Anima

Tanking is for pussies. If there's one thing that would make me quit watching this team it's tanking. Most pro athletes/organizations actually have some pride/dignity/competitive spirit, so tanking will never happen because it's completely pitiful and embarrassing. Not to mention the loss of money/fans/free agents who would be repelled. Why would anyone want to watch/support/play for/give their money to a team that loses on purpose?

Why is it such a bad idea?

Lets be real, this team will either barely miss the playoff or make the playoffs and get DESTROYED in the first round. No we are no LA Kings, quit dreaming..... Why be like the Calgary Flames and finished 9th or 10th and get lousy draft picks?

What an asinine notion... throwing a game as a professional athlete is simply poor sportsmanship. I'd rather have a team that's a competitor every single year, it's more entertaining that way. I guess you're suggesting we pull an Edmonton and get 1000 1st overall picks? Wow sweet, that's certainly working out well for them.

I'd much rather be a Canucks fan who gets "disappointed" & not winning the cup every year vs. Edmonton who tanks every single year and gets the top picks, only to have the POTENTIAL for a cup run in the future while underachieving.

Real Hockey organizations do not run on that concept.

Even in some teams lowest points in their existence, you really think ownership and management have meetings to scheme with pro athletes to tank a season for the draft.

I guarantee you that Mario was not instructing Sid to help tank the Pens to land Gino.

Absolutely asinine. Its a terrible and silly notion and has no basis for discussion.

There is a misconception among a lot of people that good or above average teams lose on purpose to get high draft picks. 'Tanking' starts with not having the sedins in the lineup, so your proposal includes trading the twins away, since they can't 'tank' without losing most games..and they can't lose most games with the high level of talent the team has.

Unless your suggesting cheating and throwing games on purpose, which would be the end of the NHL.

I think all the guys on the team, plus the coaches have way too much integrity to do anything like "tanking." The work ethic has to be adressed, either sit some guys or start trading. Unfortunately it seems like Gillis waited too long on the Luongo trade, and with a shorter season I doubt there will be many teams making a really big move. Many will wait for the summer.

Why is it such a bad idea?

Lets be real, this team will either barely miss the playoff or make the playoffs and get DESTROYED in the first round. No we are no LA Kings, quit dreaming..... Why be like the Calgary Flames and finished 9th or 10th and get lousy draft picks?

Last time we missed the playoffs, we got *ahem* Cody Hodgson.....lets not beat the dead horse on that one....

Last time we have a top 5 pick, we got Henrik/Daniel Sedin.

Excluding the last 2 drafts (too early to tell with Gaunce/Jensen), the previous picks we had in the late 20's, it was Jordan Schroeder and Patrick White...yup....

With the RIDICULOUS salary cap next year, we NEED a prospect that can play next year (i.e a top 5 draft pick). With the signing of Kellan Lain and the potential of Nicklas Jensen, a top 5 pick that can play next year will be ENORMOUS.

This is what MG is facing next year, PRETTY scary...

Unrestricted free agents:

-Raymond, Higgins, Lapierre, Alberts, Barker, Pinizzotto

Restricted free agents:

-Tanev (will get a raise for sure), Weise, Sestito

Getting rid of Luongo's contract (trade) + Ballard's contract (buyout), we have $53 MILLION committed to everyone else. Thats $11 Million to sign Tanev, Raymond, Higgins, Lapierre, etc. NOT HAPPENING.

Tanev will likely get at least $3-4 Mill, that means we have $7-8 Mill to sign 5 forwards, 2 defensemen and 1 back up goalie. Yup, TOTALLY screwed....

Insert a Top 5 draft pick that can potentially play in the first season (i.e. Alex Galchenyuk)

Short term pain, long term gain...

Feel free to rip this apart!

Archived