The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian is a Power Forward not a Grinder!

NewYorkYankees8771

Guest Gumballthechewy

Try 15 shots in his first 7 games, (5 goals) and nothing since.

Shot volume is the greatest indicator of a players offensive possession. Zack isn't generating offense in any way right now.

AV has probably lost the team, and we do need a coaching change but lets not forget what the man has acomplished.

I'm tired of people saying AV misshandes young tallent.

He does it the same with everyone.

Go back to Jr, play in the AHL.

work your way up the lineup while taking care of your end of the rink.

You can say he mishandled CoHo and Grabner because they dont play for us but part of the reason they thrive today was from the pace they developed.

It's frustrating, it's hard to watch, but it's best for the player.

Everyone needs to take a step back and remember just how young he is. Most players take time to develop. At 22 years of age, there's no reason for people to start panicking. One of the best examples I'll use right now is Blake Wheeler. It has taken Wheeler 8 years since being drafted, and he's finally turned into a 60 point player. It's going to take time with Kassian.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I should clarify, on ice shot differential is the greatest offensive possession metric (corsi).

Kassian has ~7 corsi, which isn't bad. But when you weigh that against Booth (his modt frequent linemate the last 10 games) hes posting Sedin-like corsi. ~20, it puts Zacks number into perspective.

Gotta consider minutes played though. If a guy gets 2 shots a game but plays 7 minutes... If that same guy gets 2 shots a game and plays 22 minutes... Not the same ratio...

Kassian's production dropped when he was put on bottom lines. Normal.

Again, the Sedins are being manhandled, shut down, with no retribution from who? Burrows? I trust that MG's "the guy" would be far better at defending the Sedins than AV's guy; Burrows.

Also, the Sedins will produce anyways while putting Burrows on other lines instantly sparks them up. That would be spreading the wealth amongst the rest of the forwards and subsequently increase secondary scoring.

But that's just a far fetched idea.

I can't believe there are still people defending Kassian's play this season.

Right now.. Sestito > Kassian

Kassian just looks lost out there. Send him to the minors and bring him up when he learns the system and is capable of getting out of his own zone without turning the puck over half the time. Hopefully the Sedins haven't retired by then.

Kassian isn't being treated. 3rd line minutes is what he should be getting right now.

AV had made every player who came up through the system earn their way here. Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, even the Sedins all had to work their way up the lineup. Kassian will too. He won't be gifted anything. And that's how it should be.

Until he learns the following, he isn't a grinder or a power forward:

1. Hard work is required, every off day, every practice, every minute of every shift, every off season.

2. Defensive awareness.

3. Consistency. This kid flies one game/shift and coasts for two to three after that.

4. Not to sulk. My opinion is that Kassian disappeared for four games after he was demoted to the fourth line because he was mad. Should be trying even harder to gain your spot back, not making it easier to leave you there.

Same goes for Ballard. Prove your worth before you think you are entitled to special treatment. You want to be treated like the Sedins or Edler. Work as hard as they have for their careers.

Archived